Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

The AMG review gives a full explanation of the Naked CD, how it's not really the same as the original Let it Be but quite different. The reviewer seems to justify it on the premise that the Let it Be that was issued wasn't exactly a finished album either, just caught in the crosshairs of the Beatles death struggle then going on. In that sense Abbey Road, as well as the White Album, are really incomplete albums as well.

White album, maybe. Abbey Road, not so much. After the Get Back sessions, Paul called up George Martin and let him know that he and John were willing to make an album "cooperatively". The Beatles were not fighting during those final sessions as they were during the White Album and Let It Be sessions.

The AMG review gives a full explanation of the Naked CD, how it's not really the same as the original Let it Be but quite different. The reviewer seems to justify it on the premise that the Let it Be that was issued wasn't exactly a finished album either, just caught in the crosshairs of the Beatles death struggle then going on. In that sense Abbey Road, as well as the White Album, are really incomplete albums as well.

White album, maybe. Abbey Road, not so much. After the Get Back sessions, Paul called up George Martin and let him know that he and John were willing to make an album "cooperatively". The Beatles were not fighting during those final sessions as they were during the White Album and Let It Be sessions.

True but side 1 seems to be another compromise and the suite idea for side two seemed to be a lot of unfinished ideas (which don't get me wrong still sound great). The rest of us mortals should have such unfinished ideas.

Too bad these conflicts couldn't have been surmounted. I suppose today they would hire some sort of band psychologist to help them work through that (something akin to what I saw in that embarassing documentary that Metallica made, Some Kind of Monster).

I never thought that "Let It Be...Naked" sounded bad by any means. But I agree that it's a different animal from "Let It Be.' The fact is that "Abbey Road" was the last album proper. "Let It Be" was the first "posthumous" release. It has more in common with the "Anthology" boxes than it does with "Abbey Road." But, of course, in 1970 there were no "archival releases." Instead, you tried to dress such material up as a completed album. Jerry Allison did it to Buddy Holly's apartment recordings. And there's nothing wrong with that. That's simply the way things were done then. There was no market for "legal bootlegs." I've often said that if Dylan's "Self Portrait" had been released in the '90s as a volume of the Bootleg Series, people would have gone apeshit for it. Everyone would have talked about how interesting it was to hear Dylan in such an informal setting. But, again, at the time you couldn't do that. You had to pretend that it was a real album. And people couldn't accept it as a real album.

The same thing holds true for "Let It Be." Spector did a damn good job for what he had to work with. It's not what McCartney would have preferred, but he had already left the group by then. "Let It Be...Naked" is just another way of presenting the same unfinished material (in different takes, true. I wish that someone had mentioned that in the liner notes at least).

When are the albums being released in mono on vinyl? I thought someone said November? Making a Christmas list, which includes the Nessa issues from the past year, and would like to include a few of The Beatles albums as well!

Mojo has a news item on it but doesn't say anything about dates.

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2009/11/bea...ers_on_the.html

The Hoffman Bots over at their forum are saying likely next spring, from digital masters and no mono.

Edited by WorldB3

On a somewhat related note, I picked up yesterday Paul McCartney live cd set that he did at Citifield earlier this year (which I didn't attend). It's a two CD set, with about two thirds of the set being Beatles material. Some are interesting (haven't listened to the whole thing yet) such as Drive My Car, Let it Be and a Day in the Life (although I obviously prefer the Sgt Peppers version and the Jeff Beck renditions) but I don't think his voice may be up to it anymore. Seems to lack that timbre. Now, of course he is 67 years old so he may not have the range he used to. With all that being said, if he did another concert, I would be sure to attend it.

On a somewhat related note, I picked up yesterday Paul McCartney live cd set that he did at Citifield earlier this year (which I didn't attend). It's a two CD set, with about two thirds of the set being Beatles material. Some are interesting (haven't listened to the whole thing yet) such as Drive My Car, Let it Be and a Day in the Life (although I obviously prefer the Sgt Peppers version and the Jeff Beck renditions) but I don't think his voice may be up to it anymore. Seems to lack that timbre. Now, of course he is 67 years old so he may not have the range he used to. With all that being said, if he did another concert, I would be sure to attend it.

I'd go see him as well, but it sure seems like he's got about 25 different live albums out there - which all seem to contain half Beatles, half solo stuff.

Not to necessarily prolong the Let it Be discussion but I came across this 2003 article from the New York Times about the Naked Let it Be disc.

thanks Brad. I am surprised that the song Let It be is a result of multiple takes - I didn't hear the splice.

did you get your copy of Naked yet? Any opinions.

The 45 rpm and 33 1/3 rpm of Let It Be have completely different guitar solos.

Not to necessarily prolong the Let it Be discussion but I came across this 2003 article from the New York Times about the Naked Let it Be disc.

thanks Brad. I am surprised that the song Let It be is a result of multiple takes - I didn't hear the splice.

I am aware of that Jetman - which is why it makes it even more puzzling that if the song Let It Be on the Naked cd is a mixture of takes - why did they use what most people, if not everyone, considers to be the lesser guitar solo.

I am aware of that Jetman - which is why it makes it even more puzzling that if the song Let It Be on the Naked cd is a mixture of takes - why did they use what most people, if not everyone, considers to be the lesser guitar solo.

Actually, the version of "Let It Be" on "...Naked" has a different guitar solo from either the LP version or the 45...