Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions

Alfred

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the full email from Mosaic, although I bet it's already posted elsewhere:

Dear Jazz Lover,

NEW RELEASES - MOSAIC RECORDS

We have been fortunate to be able to present the work of many jazz

greats. And on occasion we wonder how many more we'll be able to release

due to licensing restrictions and other issues. Well, there is at least

one more. We are honored to present the phrasing, the attack and the

sheer brilliance of a master musician, Roy Eldridge. Mosaic Records

announces the release of The Complete Verve Roy Eldridge Studio Sessions on

7 CDs (MD7-222). These Verve sessions recorded between 1951 and 1960

present Roy in a variety of settings, including small groups that

comprised of Oscar Peterson's trio with such guest drummers as Jo Jones and

Buddy Rich and Ray Brown; Roy with orchestras led by the brilliant

arranger-conductors George Williams and Russ Garcia; two jam session

excursions with Dizzy Gillespie, a collaboration with Benny Carter and a

marvelous date by his working quartet which closes the set. It is available

for preorder and will ship at the end of November.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/upcoming_releases.asp

NEW RELEASES - MOSAIC SELECT

In the great tradition of Texas tenormen, Curtis Amy had a beautiful

sound and a style that was both muscular and lyrical. He was also an

artist who constantly challenged himself as an improviser and as a

composer. Between 1960 and '63, he recorded six superb and rare albums for

Pacific Jazz that are now comprise Mosaic Select MS-007. Sidemen include

Paul Bryant, Marcus Belgrave, Dupree Bolton, Bobby Hutcherson and Roy

Ayers.

Master pianist-composer-arranger-producer Duke Pearson last recorded

works, beginning with The Phantom in 1968 are among his most interesting.

Blending jazz soloists like Bobby Hutcherson, Jerry Dodgion and Frank

Foster with Latin and Brazilian artists like Hermeto and Airto Morreira

in a variety of settings, he wove textured landscapes with rhythmic

drive. Mosaic Select MS-008 includes five albums and two unissued tunes,

ending, appropriately enough, with his Christmas album "Merry Ole Soul".

The two new Selects are available for preorder and will ship at the end

of November.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/upcoming_releases.asp

RUNNING LOW/LAST CHANCE

We have just added The Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions (MD4-179) to

our Running Low category. Recorded between 1955 and 1962, these 4 CDs

are a treasure of traditional New Orleans music and contain sets from

some of the giants of the genre including George Lewis, Paul Barbarian,

Billie and De De Pierce, Jim Robinson, The Eureka Brass Band and others.

"I can't overstate how astonishing and attractive the music on this set

truly is. If you haven't yet explored this stylistic era of jazz you

really owe it to yourself, and I can't think of a better place to start

in terms of true New Orleans jazz." - Chris Hovan, Jazz & Blues

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/last.asp

ONE-OF-A-KIND FRANCIS WOLFF PRINTS

We have just added a page to our website that features one-of-a-kind

fiber prints made for an exhibit to celebrate the publication of the The

Blue Note Years/The Jazz Photography of Francis Wolff. The cropped

images match those in the book. Many of you are used to seeing such images

in CD-size booklets but viewing these images in a larger size is truly

stunning. Even if you are not interested in purchasing, we invite you

to visit this and the Francis Wolff Photographic Sale web page and

click on a photo to enlarge it.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/oneofakind.asp

MUSIC CLIPS

For music licensed from Verve including the upcoming Roy Eldridge and

the recently released Mulligan Concert Band, we have added one minute

music clips from three tracks for each set on the website. For music

featuring Blue Note and Pacific Jazz recordings, including the two new

Mosaic Selects we have the rights to add full length clips. Three tracks

for each set are posted on the website.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

All of us at Mosaic Records & True Blue Music

www.mosaicrecords.com

www.truebluemusic.com

e-mail: info@mosaicrecords.com

203-327-7111

I hope some of you look into Riverside's New Orleans: The Living Legends, the series of 1961 N.O. sessions that inspired Ahmet Ertegun to go down there.

I hasten to add that, although I produced these sessions, I have no financial interest in them, whatsoever.

I suggest you also pay attention to the Chicago series Chris did as well. Important stuff for all of us to digest and enjoy.

The New Orleans and the Chicago series that Chris produced are excellent and well worth seeking out.

The New Orleans Jazz Sessions Mosaic set is overall an excellent set. Different than those on Riverside, it's hard to explain it really, it seems to me to be honest and serious music that fans for New Orleans style jazz would surely love.

I have one of the Jim Robinson CDs from the New Orleans series that Chris produced and highly recommend it. Listening to sound samples from that, or almost any George Lewis CD, on amazon will give you an idea of the type of music on this set.

Overall, I like the Atlantic set. The first CD with the outdoor marching band is kind of rough and I don't listen to it too much, but the others are sweet, bluesy New Orleans jazz. The Paul Barbarin session, De De and Billie Pierce, and George Lewis playing Winin' Boy Blues are among the highlights for me.

FWIW, I LOVE the Verve Kid Ory set too. When that set's gone, I doubt we'll see the music released again (at least legitimately) since Verve has shown NO interest whatsoever in the traditional jazz in its holdings. Kid Ory's tone is one of the wonders of jazz.

I really like the Atlantic NO Jazz box. I may be one of the only people around who enjoys the funeral band stuff on the initial disc, based on all I've read from others about it on the board. Certainly there is stronger music in the box, but it's fun to hear the location recording at least once in a while. This is not my favorite New Orleans jazz, but it's thoroughly enjoyable.

Edited by DrJ

As Lon said, they're sitting on a ton of George Lewis from the 50s. If you define traditional jazz to include the Chicago style, which I do, then there's a bunch of Art Hodes that's yet to be reissued from Verve, Mercury, and Emarcy. Muggsy Spanier has a session from 1950 on Mercury. Bobby Hackett's "Creole Jazz" should have been reissued a long time ago. And all the Bob Crosby spinoff stuff that Milt Gabler recorded for Decca. That's just for starters. One of those numberless Verve complations, "Pete Fountain presents the Best of Dixieland", released a couple of years ago, is a teaser that hints at some of the stuff that's mostly hidden away.

Well....I decided to give this one a shot, and ordered it along with the Ellington Reprise set. (The horror stories of lost Mosaic shipments on another thread made me drop my "Last Chance" plan!)

So, what do I think? Let's put it this way: that's the first time I've taken a Mosaic disc out of the player halfway through. My ears hurt. It's probably not the peformance but the style; I'm afraid this just doesn't work for me. If I want warbly, noisy, earsplitting clarinet work, I'll go listen to the local fifth grade band warm up...

The first Duke disc is on now, and my ears are thanking me.

Huh! Interesting. I guess that the sound of these N O bands is an acquired taste I acquired quite some time ago.

I don't think these were reissued on Collectables, but I could be wrong. I know that the Wilbur De Paris band cds were, in two on ones and a two cd set or so. . . .

Huh! Interesting. I guess that the sound of these N O bands is an acquired taste I acquired quite some time ago.

I'm sure this is revealing a limitation between my ears rather than in the material, Lon; and I probably should have kept montg's post in mind and tried one of the other discs rather than the first right off the bat. But honestly, at least right now, there's no appeal at all...

that's the first time I've taken a Mosaic disc out of the player halfway through.

I also "gave this one a shot". I just finished disc one and I made it all the way through! After all thats been said, I was expecting disc 1 to really suck. It must be an acquired taste as Lon said but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I was afraid I wouldn't care for this box but I'm glad I got it so far. With All that, I'd definately take the Duke Reprise box first anyday.

Hey Mr Moose: Too bad you first experience with you new set was a downer. I certainly hope it won't be the last.

I don't have this set, but going by an earlier post on this thread it seems the first disc is rough 'n' ready marching band stuff.

My advice would be to keep the set around and pull it every now and then - perhaps when you can't decide on what else you want to hear - and get familiar with it in small doses.

I spend by far the greatest amount of my listening time digging new Australian/US stuff or reissues from the '50s and '60s. But at least once a fortnight I'll lose myself in the more traditional stuff or swing - and I can hear all the connections click into place. As I did last night with the Hot 5s and 7s.

There is some raggedy playing for sure among my New Orleans albums, but the spirit is the thing.

'Afro Bossa' is probably my favourite Ellington album, period.

Having just listened to this material for the first time, I can see..uh...hear why! Excellent... :wub:

I'm always stunned by the high-note work of Cat Anderson on this disk, he doesn't miss anything that he tries for. Some of those exotic rhythmns the Duke puts down are also a killer.

I feel the Mosaic $ creeping out of my pocket real fast ... :o^_^:g

Edited by sidewinder