Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions

Alfred

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Atlantic New Orleans Jazz box is great! OK, I'll admit, I don't listen to it as often as often as the Mobley box, but it's great to pull out once in while. I also remember being glad the whole set wasn't like disc #1. That comes under the heading: Nice to have, but least-played part of the box. :g

Don't stop there, you still have a couple more to go

Disc 3 has some great treasures.. Billie Pierce singing "Love songs of the Nile." And the clarinet, bass, drums trio with George Lewis playing Winin' Boy Blues...

Brew some coffee and cook up some red beans and rice (or stop at Popeyes on the way home from work :D ) and crank up Billie and De De.

According to their site:

In the past we have flagged sets as Running Low with the expectation that they will sell out in three to six months. However over the last two years, since we've put up our website, the demand for sets that are running low has been compressed into a shorter time frame. This means that by the time we are able to announce in a catalog that sets are last chance, they are already sold out. Therefore the running low category now represents our estimate that the sets will be sold out in the next three to twelve months. Last Chance reflects our best estimate that the set will be sold out soon which can range anywhere from tomorrow to two months. Please understand these are merely our best estimates and that circumstances can sometimes change quickly.

So there ought to be a bunch left still. I'm going to order this before Christmas, though.

• 4 months later...

I've been up ALL night. Playing the hell out of the New Orleans Jazz Mosaic box. Anybody who doesn't yet have the box, man, get it before it goes OOP.

I'm liking Punch Miller's Louis Armstrong style vocals on Sugar Blues.

Edited by wesbed

I took a chance and ordered the ANO set today! I didn't want to see the dreaded "Procrastinator" cover taunting me when it went OOP.

As I've written before, unless you simply dislike the New Orleans style of jazz, you will be very pleasantly surprised with this set. I enjoy the 'dreaded' funeral music on disk one.

To me, it seems like the first part of disk one is rather like a suite, with a theme that is repeated throughout. Starting with the 'sad' music and progressing to the 'happy' music. The second part of disk 1, funeral music or not, is not sad. Song #16 (disk 1) is entitled, Down in a Honky Tonk Town. This ain't no kinda sad tune to my ears.

You have to love Mosaic's customer service. I ordered this yesterday and I got it today!

I'm listening to the first disc now and smiling to "Just A Closer Walk With Thee"

When I go, I wouldn't mind a sendoff like the one from the Young Tuxedo Brass Band (except I wouldn't be around to hear it :unsure: )

Oh, well, thanks all for giving me that push off the fence :D

"Procrastinator" cover be gone!

I'm listening to the first disc now and smiling to "Just A Closer Walk With Thee"

When I go, I wouldn't mind a sendoff like the one from the Young Tuxedo Brass Band (except I wouldn't be around to hear it)

"Procrastinator" cover be gone!

Congratulations on your Mosaic purchase.

I like the first disk on the New Orleans Jazz box. Unless I'm just 'hearing things,' it seems like the first set on Disk 1 has a repeating theme, like a suite. Is it just me or is the theme really there?

When will Blue Note get around to giving the RVG treatment to The Procrastinator?

I'm with ralphie boy, I've always been puzzled by some of the hostile reactions to Disc 1 material from this box. I think it's exhilirating and uplifting (which is no mean achievement for funeral music - and that's the whole point really) and also like taking a time machine back in history. No, it's probably not the "best" music of its kind by a long shot, but the point is, it's just about the only recording of its kind. Thank God or whoever that someone had the foresight to do it.

Edited by DrJ

I don't think these were reissued on Collectables, but I could be wrong.

Here's vol. 1&2 on collectables

http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id_66272.html

With Paul Barbarin

http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id_66102.html

With George Lewis

http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id_62722.html

Collectables CDs may have hurt the Mosaic sales. Collectable started selling these soon after the Mosaic set was available.

I have the LPs, but bought the Mosaic anyway. (I remember recommending these albums to Mosaic, so I had to buy it) Haven't check the total tracks time, but couldn't Mosaic have put all the music on 2 or 3 CDs instead of 4?

If the Collectables had been released first, I would have been satisfied with those discs. (even though they split the Paul Barbarin and George Lewis with other albums)

Don't the LPs usually sell for about $5? Doesn't seem like a rare or highly collectable set. (I do enjoy this style of music)

Edited by Tjazz

I'm with ralphie boy, I've always been puzzled by some of the hostile reactions to Disc 1 material from this box. I think it's exhilirating and uplifting (which is no mean achievement for funeral music - and that's the whole point really) and also like taking a time machine back in history.

I also have a hard time getting the criticism of disc one. it starts off slow, but this is funeral music, after all. The music smokes later, after the cemetary. I've also played some of it for some friends who are not fans of that style, and they thought it was excellent. But as it's said, 'One man's meat is another man's poison'...

• 1 month later...

My ear is very well oriented to the sounds of bebop. I can listen to bop all the live long day and never tire of it. I enjoy the rhythm and the soloing.

I've been listening to the Louis Armstrong Hot Fives & Sevens Columbia and the Bix/Tram/Tea Mosaic boxes recently. All of this music, to me, is a New Orleans Jazz based sound. The Armstrong and Bix/Tram sessions led me back to the Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Mosaic box.

As my ear becomes more tuned to the New Orleans style of jazz, I'm enjoying the music more and more. Through repeated listening, my mind has detected more details in the New Olrleans Jazz music. It's not so much about the soloing, here, as the group effort. There is so much going on in this music that it produces a euphoria and/or frenzy in the mind of the attuned ear. From the muted trumpet and trombone, to the screaming clarinet, to the old-timey piano, this is terrific music. The New Orleans Atlantic Jazz Mosaic box presents the music in all its glory with excellent playing and terrific sound quality. After listening to Armstrong and Bix/Tram, I've never heard the New Orleans style of jazz sound so crisp and clear as on the Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Mosaic. The instruments sound bright, real, and well-defined. The New Orleans box offers some 'stereo' New Orleans jazz sessions, for crying out loud.

I have to ask, as with so many Mosaic boxes, why is this box still available in Last Chance? Get it while you can.

Edited by wesbed

Great you´re getting into NO jazz style, wesbed. :tup

Try with some King Oliver groups, any Jelly Roll Morton, early Bechet, some Johnny Dodds... you´ll find many, many details in those wonderful artists and in their collective improvisation.