OJC Recomendations

jacknife

The OJC series is clearly the motherlode when it comes to jazz reissues. I know they are criticized as being blowing sessions and not much more, i.e. little if any rehearsal, calling the tunes as you go kind of stuff, but strictly from the standpoint of the artists represented in their catalogue, it's mindboggling. Not to mention the fact that they somehow manage to keep all their titles in print, readiliy available and at a reasonable cost.

With regard to particular artists or albums available on the various and sundry labels that make up the OJC sobriquet, I'm surprised that only one person has mentioned Gene Ammons and then just a single recording. If you're a fan of Jug, or if you want to become one, OJC is the only place to go. I'm particularly fond of the "Gentle Jug" series and the material featuring Dodo Marmarosa. That one is, at least IMO, indespensible. They didn't call it "The Big Sound' of Gene Ammons just becuase they ran out of other things to say.

A couple of other recommendations if you lean towards seminal hard bop. George Wallington. You won't find him too many places other than on OJC. Same with Wardell Gray. Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (while perhaps a little heavy with alternate takes) is as good a look at Gray as you're gonna get.

Up over and out.

Just wondering if you folks could recommend a few must haves.

A few? No. I couldn't stick to just a few even if I limit myself to Coltrane, Rollins, Dolphy, Evans...hell, I can't even limit myself to a few artists!! Is this a trick question?

If it helps, the first one I bought was Tenor Madness...

Simply too many to choose from, so get them all ... :g

Some rarities that merit attention:

Johnny Griffin - Change of Pace

Les Spann - Gemini

... both have Julius Watkins, as do the

Jimmy Heath Riverside Sextets

Blue Mitchell's Riversides

Budd Johnson

I love the Cal Tjader Latin Jazz sessions, but his straightahead dates are fine too

Vince Guaraldi Trios with Eddie Duran (watch out, one CD is a compliation of the other two!)

any Don Patterson!!! he coaxed the best out of Sonny Stitt!

That's like asking about the history of jazz. I especially like the Blue Mitchells, there's Bill Evans, Kenny D, some Hanks. I suggest you take a look at the www.fantasyjazz.com web site. You can see what they have. You can also order direct, at a cheaper price.

Anyone have any comments about one of these OJCs by a trumpeter named Don Sleet? I don't know if it's on CD but it came out in vinyl back in the 80s. What raised my interest level considerably was the presence of Wynton Kelly's trio in the lineup. Is it worth having?

It's called ALL MEMBERS. It came out on CD in 2001. Very nice quintet, with Jimmy Heath in the front line along with Sleet. Rhythm section is Kelly, Ron Carter and Cobb. Sleet was a solid player, and I recall liking it quite a bit, but it's been awhile- time to spin this again.

Here are some hidden gems not mentioned yet,

Presenting Red Mitchell

Johnny Lytle: Nice and Easy

Sam Jones: Soul Society

Wilbur Ware: The Chicago Sound

Doug Watkins: Soulnik

Curtis Fuller with the Red Garland Trio

Harry Sweets Edison: Edison's Lights

Eddie Lockjaw Davis': Cookbooks Volumes 1-3

Yusuf Lateef: Eastern Sounds (Plum Blossom ripped off by Cat Stevens for his first hit "I Love My Dog!")

Fantasy has a catalog you can order for free off their website or the little card perforated and attached to the liner notes of any recent reissue. Then, reference the All Music Guide online at http//:www.allmusic.com I trusted a lot of their suggestions when I started out and now trust mostly Scott Yanow and his opinions.

I have over 500 of these reissues and besides the blue notes are the only ones I listen to. Best of luck and any one out there looking to trade let me know. I like hard bop, soul jazz and the 50-60's blue note sound (and Prestige jam sessions) looking to trade Keith Jarrett, Charlie Haden, Lester Young, Dizzy, James Carter, Joshua Redman, Gene Harris numerous others. Send a want list and I will send mine. Talk to you all later and Bright Moments!

dr.33

• 9 months later...