Chewy's good record day

most were 3.99, some, as ill note, were more- feel feel to comment on any you like (or dislike)-

-Bill Perkins- Journey to the east (conetmporary, 1984) **I WANT A BILL LP WHERE HE PLAYS HIS SAX-SYNTH!!!

-Von Freeman- Serenade in Blues (Nessa uses good quality vinyl- the label says 1979, but my hands tend to disagree w/ me)

-Mundell Lowe- Transit West (1983)*one of the 1st, no actually, prob. the 1st jazz guitar lp i ever heard in my life

-Earl Hines- Qintessential contuied- Chiaroscuro records (audiofidelity enterpries)

-Warne n Lou Tabakin- Tenor Gladness* I am glad i found it

-Art pepper- roadgame

-Al Haig- Serendipity (Interplay)

-Al Haig- 3/13/54, Al Haig Trio (Everest Archive) "jazz will o the wisp"-- *WHAT LABEL ORGINALLY FOR THIS ONE>>>>??

-Al Haig- A portrait of Bud Powell (interplay 1977)

-Howard McGhee/Teddy Edwards- young at heart (late 70s extereme w.c.j.!)

-Clare Fisher- Great White Hope (solo Yamaha organ lp!??)

-Earlland's Street Themes: 1983 folloup to "earlands jam" but no Larry Blackmun producing

- East Coast/West Controversey (Xanadu)- session w/ Bill Perkins n Jack Montrose w/ Philly Joe Drums 1957 (orginal issuance?????)

+ that lp also has an early Hampton Hawes- 9/22/51, is that pre-contemporary?

-Gene Harris- Natures Way (1984)

-ShortyRogers Big Band- "Short Snort" - Straight Ahead Jazz records --1953 Balboa Beach aircheck (sletchy bootleg)

-Billy Mitchell/Bobby Hutcherson- two sessions/ Trip records reissue

session 1: Clarance 'sleepy' Anderson- organ, Otis Caaaandy Finch- drums

session 2: 10/30/62

is this from another label too? I love trip. there records are always such mint condition whenever i find them, and the material is always something awesome, and obscure, from really really good jazz people

-Shelly Manne- Hot Coles. I WAS SO ON THE FENCE ABOUT THIS ONE-- the cover soured it for me 1st, but then, the whole fact its cole porter also put me off: supposedly its mike wofford on rhodes and vic feldman on piano (on the same songs wofford plays electric) and also he plays of course vibes on it too

-Rodgers and Hart's The Boys from Syracuse Columbia CL-847 (actually found in a dumpster, but it was in the same pile i just was diggin, through lol)

-ditto these two sealed Charlie Pride RCA victors i just opened: ones dnyaflex, ones not dynaflex

-sonny criss memorial album on xnanadu

-Mike Wofford Trio plays Kern ( on DISCOVERY)

-Gerald Wilson- Orchestra of the 80s- Califia (TREND)

-Blakey/Child's Dance (IS THIS ONE GONNA BE LIKE I IMMAGINE THIS LP TO BE, AND SOUND AWESOME DOING SO?)

-Straight horn of steve lacy- CANDID (hmm the only steve i regularly listen to in music is steve howe)

-Wilis Jackson n Von Freeman: Locking Horns (w/ an organ player)

-Charles Shoemake Sextet- plays the music of David Raskin (discovery- w/ Mike wofford n Peter Sprague)

- Miles IN CONCERT- i think i heard this on the radio once. only miles i frequantly listen to is....Belgrade '71

OK THIS IS THE ONE I PLAYED $20 DOLLARS FOR

Yo Ho ! Frank Wess/ Poor you, LIttle Me: its prestige w/ a giant ass STATUS sticker on it: if i peel it off will there be a prestige sticker undearneath? HEY U GUYS, SHOULD I PEEL IT!!!!!!!!!!!

oh ok its frank on tenor thad jones gildo mahones on piano and Buddy Catlett legendeary seattle bassist and Roy Haynes

-James Spaulding solo lp Brilliant Corners (80s)

-Bob Cooper- Tenor Sax Jazz Impressions 1979 TREND Direct to disc

-Brother Jack live at the jazz workshop

--so i get to the counter and the guy goes: "oh, you should of been here at 1030am, and i was all....why? and he goes; some guy came in here, and bought up $600 dollars worth of that collection, and i was all WHATATWHAWT?!?!?!? so i was really gettuing this guys shit-slim pickin's of it??!?!? I mean he passed on Bob Cooper Tenor Sax Impressions, what the hell. so i have come to 2 conclusions....either A/ this guys a complete dougebag and only picked up all the Miles Davis and Cecil Taylor, or B: he already had all the Discovery records lps and he got all this really good shit that i dont even know about, cause he bought it all before i got there. so i dount know, but that is what *I* got, so i dont know. do u guys like my list it took a lot of work to type that all out

Edited by chewy

...-Billy Mitchell/Bobby Hutcherson- two sessions/ Trip records reissue

session 1: Clarance 'sleepy' Anderson- organ, Otis Caaaandy Finch- drums

session 2: 10/30/62

is this from another label too?...

it appears this material was originally released on smash records, a subsidiary of mercury. several years ago it was reissued on cd by verve as this is billy mitchell.

and yes, i like your list, but wouldn't it be appreciated more in the vinyl forum?

Edited by robviti

-ShortyRogers Big Band- "Short Snort" - Straight Ahead Jazz records --1953 Balboa Beach aircheck (sletchy bootleg)

:unsure:

Isn't that one called 'Short Stop'?

Think I've got a copy some-where.

i think you're both correct. it depends on the issue. chewy's lp on straight ahead is indeed titled short snort.

Here's what I would like to find.

Dick Grove Orchestra: Little Bird Suite

http://www.spiralvinyl.com/product/product12346903

You are actively looking for records and may find it some day.

Yes, a great record. I've had it for years and sadly passed up a cleaner copy in a moment of short dough and quick decisions. Oh well..

i'm kind of offended no one but 9 people had anything to say about this massive collection I purchased of the KPLU-FM archive. They got rid of them beacuse they are not track 1 of kind of blue. or track 4.

is it just that you guys don't *know*, how cool DISCOVERY is? seriously i dont know anyone else who really collects it so maybe u guys just dont know. if you like wcj and you don't mind that they are from the 80s, you are in money!

Also im looking forward to this Clare Fisher 'great white hope' solo Yamaha combo-organ lp- wtf?

i cant listen to it right now, because I have to bump this RCA Japan Bowie cd, the only decent bowie cd mastering ever put on the market

what do u think of those late period al haig lps?

Here's what I would like to find.

Dick Grove Orchestra: Little Bird Suite

I was lucky enough to pick this one up a couple of months ago. It's a little-known masterpiece, in my opinion.

Yep, I've got a Pacific Jazz mono copy of this one. Really like it - obviously influenced by the Miles/Gil albums but with a unique West Coast feel to it.

The Al Haig 'Will O' The Wisp' according to my records (ie. the Charles Fox/Max Harrison book, who rated it one of the 'Essential Modern Jazz Records 1945-70) was issued by Counterpoint in the US, I'm not sure re: Esoteric (probably very likely that this was the first issue if so). I have a UK LP issue whuch was on Xtra, one of the labels run by Transatlantic which put out Prestige material in the 1960s.

jsnlgeby"P: really?! the back lp cover just says bill perkins yamaha yts-saxes or sometyhin like that/ u mean his synth-sax device is hooked in on this lp, for reals?!?

Yep. Listen to a few of the tunes, you hear this weird doubling effect. That's it.