Acknowledged masterpieces: single cuts

medjuck

Lester Young's version of "These Foolish Things", recorded in December 1945 in Los Angeles for Aladdin Records, with Dodo Marmarosa on piano, Red Callender on bass and Henry 'Tucker' Green on drums.

:tup

I’ll propose his « Blue Lester » from 1944 (with Basie, Freddie Green, R. Richardson & Shadow Wilson). Quintessentially cool.

Charlie Parker - "Embraceable You," take one. Not only Bird's improvisation just beautiful, its tight construction should be the envy of every composer. And Bird just picked up the horn and played it in real time.

Wasn't that one analysed as a work of genius by André Hodeir in Jazz: Its Evolution and Essence?

Charlie Parker - "Embraceable You," take one. Not only Bird's improvisation just beautiful, its tight construction should be the envy of every composer. And Bird just picked up the horn and played it in real time.

Wasn't that one analysed as a work of genius by André Hodeir in Jazz: Its Evolution and Essence?

I didn't think so, and a quick thumb through the book suggests not. I did find this passage, which surprised me:

The year 1947, which was fertile in such masterpieces as DON'T BLAME ME, SCRAPPLE FROM THE APPLE, PARKER'S MOOD, and the two versions of EMBRACEABLE YOU, was unhappily followed by a break in Parker's production. Did these fine records sell badly? It may be.

Was he really unaware of the U.S. recording ban?

(And I edited my original post to put in a missing word.)

Edited by jeffcrom

I didn't think so, and a quick thumb through the book suggests not. I did find this passage, which surprised me:

The year 1947, which was fertile in such masterpieces as DON'T BLAME ME, SCRAPPLE FROM THE APPLE, PARKER'S MOOD, and the two versions of EMBRACEABLE YOU, was unhappily followed by a break in Parker's production. Did these fine records sell badly? It may be.

Was he really unaware of the U.S. recording ban?

(And I edited my original post to put in a missing word.)

Well, you certainly know the book - I must concede that, Jeff:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/230414061

So where did I read that analysis of "Embraceable", with a transcription of part of the solo printed on the page and the solo described in rather flowery language: "The sun comes out from behind the clouds" - that sort of thing? :unsure:

Three for the Johnny Dodds solos:

Perdido Street Blues / New Orleans Wanderers

Someday Sweetheart / King Oliver

Hear Me Talking / Johnny Dodds & His Orchestra

Four for Lester Young:

Billie Holiday / When You're Smiling

Count Basie / Lady Be Good

Billie Holiday / This Year's Kisses

Count Basie / Easy Does It

(There are certainly other perfect and quite different Lester Young solos.)

Roscoe Mitchell's alto solo, with ensemble accompaniment, in Lester Bowie / Number One - in fact, the last third of that piece, beginning with Favors' fast bass solo accompanied by gourd and trumpet, in a self-contained work.

Roscoe Mitchell's alto sax quartet version of Nonaah, of course

Albert Ayler / Angels

Cecil Taylor / the solo piano side of Spring Of 2 Blue-Js

Oh, dear. I'm starting to remember a lot of other favorites too.

Bird did so many, but...the JATP "Lady Be Good", anybody?

Who was it, John Lewis? who said something along the lines of Bird took a Tin Pan Alley song and turned it into a blues?

That's about right, imo. Between this version and Pres', I'm pretty much rurnt on that song now.

Jeff, wasn't the recording ban earlier than that? I thought it was during the war.

There were two recording bans:

http://en.wikipedia....on_of_Musicians

Thanks Bill. I wasn't aware of the 1948 ban.

The 1948 ban wasn't as thoroughly observed as the earlier ban. A lot of musicians didn't feel that it was in their best interest, and some smaller record companies kept recording sessions, albeit discreetly. Savoy, for instance, recorded right through it the ban, including a couple of Charlie Parker sessions in September.

Who was it, John Lewis? who said something along the lines of Bird took a Tin Pan Alley song and turned it into a blues?

That's about right, imo. Between this version and Pres', I'm pretty much rurnt on that song now.

Then there is the other Bird & Pres JATP masterpiece - Embraceable You from 1949.

Yes , two definitive solos. I'm still holding my breath waiting to hear the recently discovered 2nd take of Prez' version with Basie and the 5tet (see Prez thread...).