Shocking news !!!!

Maybe he can marry Veronica, be hired as vice-president of the firm by his father-in-law, then they'll have kids, who'll grow up, a whole new cast of characters... then they can "reboot" or whatever they call it for Superman comics, where they go back and create entirely new, alternative story lines. Alternate universes of Archie. Why not? If it's good enough for DC...

As I recall, Veronica was vain, demanding, selfish, thoughtless, arrogant, mean, tantrum-prone, and high-maintenance. A parody of a spoiled rich kid.

Betty was friendly, outgoing, helpful, kind, would do anything for you, upbeat. Did I mention sweet, supportive, fun-loving, and could cook, sew, and even fix Archie's car? (Also steaming hot but doesn't seem to know it.) So of course Archie took her for granted. He'll probably cry on her shoulder when Veronica makes his life a living Hell (and she will, oh she will...)

But then, the only character with half a brain in that comic was Jughead.

Wow. I used to occasionally read Archie comic books, quite a bit more than 35 years ago. Didn't know the comic book series was still going (though I faintly recall seeing some comic strips)...didn't think "modern" kids'd be interested in that sort of thing.

I was thinking just the other day that I can't remember the last time I saw comic books for sale at a drug store or elsewhere. I've seen real books at Borders, if you know what I mean. I've also seen "Archie Digest" by the supermarket cash register, but regular old comics of Donald Duck or Archie I can't remember.

They moved into specialty outlets where kids can't find 'em in the late 70s. That's one nice thing about the "real book" phenomenon, they're back where kids can see them, at least.

I buy my kid 6 actual saddle-stitched funnybooks monthly, all specifically for kids, and he loves 'em. We also read Captain Marvel Adventures and Bob Bolling's Little Archie most nights at bedtime. Lots of smelly old comics in my house!

The Frank King Walt and Skeezix books are a huge hit with him too. Kids love comics, most of 'em just don't know it!

Edit: Veronica is indeed trouble.

Edited by sjarrell

There is a link in the article VBII linked to, here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/archie...article1155671/

It says that the marriage will take place after the gang graduates from college. I've been out of touch with Archie for not quite fifty years, but are they really college students now? Don't they still have Miss Grumby as a teacher?

I remember when Dobie and Maynard went to college, and Mr. Pomfred went with them as their professor. Maybe Miss Grumby did the same thing.