The list of the top 50 standards played by musicians.

Hardbopjazz

A list of the top 50 standards played by musicians. Do those that play agree with this list? Would you kick any off the list?

Body and Soul

All the Things You Are

Summertime

'Round Midnight

I Can't Get Started (with You)

My Funny Valentine

Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be?)

What Is This Thing Called Love?

Yesterdays

Stella By Starlight

Autumn Leaves (Les Feuilles Mortes)

Star Dust

Willow Weep for Me

What's New?

Honeysuckle Rose

Sweet Georgia Brown

Caravan

The Man I Love

In a Sentimental Mood

St Louis Blues

How High the Moon

Oh, Lady Be Good!

Take the "A" Train

Embraceable You

On Green Dolphin Street

Tenderly

The Way You Look Tonight

These Foolish Things

I'll Remember April

Love for Sale

Sophisticated Lady

Ain't Misbehavin'

Night and Day

After You've Gone

Laura

Lush Life

Sweet Lorraine

Don't Blame Me

Cherokee (Indian Love Song)

Night in Tunisia

Indiana (Back Home Again in Indiana)

You Go to My Head

There Will Never Be Another You

Georgia on My Mind

Satin Doll

Prelude to a Kiss

I Should Care

Stompin' At the Savoy

How Deep Is the Ocean?

I Cover the Waterfront

A list of the top 50 standards played by musicians. Do those that play agree with this list? Would you kick any off the list

it's a good list hardbop. but, at the risk of stating the obvious, unless you're going strictly by the number of times a tune has been recorded, the list will most likely vary a good deal depending on region, and more importantly what instruments are on the gig/jam/whatever. most notably whether there is a singer involved. you could probably come up w/ another two or three lists just like this one w/ tunes that just as (or quite close to) valid.

but certainly a good list you've got there! "The Man I Love" is the only one on your list that i haven't played on a gig. but i definitely wouldn't kick it off. nothing whatsoever to object to :tup

Man, that is a great list. Every single one of those is a standard par excellance, for sure and well worth learning.

The thing about standards, from my point of view, is that I tend to biforcate them into two types:

1. Tin Pan alley/show tunes

2. Jazz tunes composed by genuine jazz musicians

Most of those you have listed are in category #1, which are composed by the Kerns, Gershwins, Porters, Arlens of the world. These are the first types a student should first start to shed on.

The 2nd type are tunes composed by the Monks, Herbie Hancocks, Wayne Shorters, Horace Silvers of the world.

Maybe someone like Ellington straddles both categories.

Man, that is a great list. Every single one of those is a standard par excellance, for sure and well worth learning.

The thing about standards, from my point of view, is that I tend to biforcate them into two types:

Most of those you have listed are in category #1, which are composed by the Kerns, Gershwins, Porters, Arlens of the world. These are the first types a student should first start to shed on.

The 2nd type are tunes composed by the Monks, Herbie Hancocks, Wayne Shorters, Horace Silvers of the world.

agreed. at the gigs/jams i used to frequent, it was just as likely (if not more so) to hear "Giant Steps," "Witch Hunt," "In Walked Bud," or "Blue In Green" called out as any on the above list. but like i said before, it's all good. the more tunes you know the better of course. and after you get down what you need to know for whatever gigs you may have (god bless you if you've got 'em...), learn what you love.

i think anyone trying to be a gigging musician should have two separate lists that need to be practiced/learned:

1. Tunes for the gig.

2. Tunes you absolutely love.

when the two lists are the same, you know you've made it into heaven.

Very true about the equilibrium between tunes you love and the tunes you know. It will truly be heaven. Right now, though, I'm just trying to work through learning Tin Pan Alley tunes (Autumn Leaves, Moonlight in VT, et al). I have found that the heads on many of these are pretty easy and of course, memorable. The changes? A lot more than many 60s era modal jazz tunes, that's for sure!

I would say that's 3 categories:

1. Tin Pan alley tunes

2. Show tunes

3. Jazz tunes composed by genuine jazz musicians

There is a pretty significant gulf between show tunes and tin pan alley tunes, generally speaking. I would recommend Alec Wilder's fascinating book "American Popular Song, 1900-1950, if you haven't read it already.

Please throw "My Funny Valentine" out there! What a horribly bad song, even though the melody is kind of nice (albeit simple, or maybe that's why it' nice), if it weren't for Chet and Miles, no one would play that one... and I hold that against Chet (who even sang the silly lyrics) and Miles!

Tom, what's the source of this list?

Please throw "My Funny Valentine" out there! What a horribly bad song, even though the melody is kind of nice (albeit simple, or maybe that's why it' nice), if it weren't for Chet and Miles, no one would play that one... and I hold that against Chet (who even sang the silly lyrics) and Miles!

played grant green's version on grantstand yesterday :tup

Yeah, but I can't help thinking of the lyrics whenever I hear it... and it's more or less a one-idea tune, isn't it?

Other idea for a topic: top riff tunes... not many good ones around, I think - Baby Baby All the Time comes to mind.

Or top one-note tunes - one of the best is listed above, "Night and Day" (Monk did a great one as well, of course... and maybe "Straight No Chaser" would sort of fit as a twisted riff-tune...)

Tom, what's the source of this list?

This was from a web site of sheet music sales and it comprised the 50 most sold. When I use to play, I learned most standards by ear. Sure I dd have the fake book which so may musicians have, but I don't recall going out and buy sheet music.