BFT 66 - the Hammond B3 BFT - discussion

mikeweil

hell, I'm running out of adjectives!

Can't believe I forgot the most obvious one: GREEEEEEEAZY!!!! I was listening to this while driving to Dallas last night to catch Greg Waits (aka Slide Advantage Redoux) group. What a pleasure it was to be cruising down I-30, windows down, greeeazin' up the highway. Same thing coming home, too!

(As an aside: where Greg's group was playing sat a beautiful Hammond B-3! After listening to this BFT on the way there, I so wanted to unlock that puppy and wail! Not that it would've sounded any good, but oh how cool it would've been! If they ever have an open mike night..... :w )

I was kind of reluctant to sign up for this BFT, but I've been listening to more organ jazz lately, so I thought that I might be able to identify some players. And if not, at least I thought I would have something intelligent to say. Wrong on both counts. But I enjoyed hearing all these different approaches to the organ. I liked some of the tracks better than others, but there was nothing I really disliked. I haven't read anything in this thread yet, so some of my comments will probably sound pretty ignorant.

Track 1 – I liked this because of the total absence of organ trio cliches, and because the playing was of such high quality. The organist used a variety of phrase shapes and changed up his rhythmic approach quite a bit. Nice sense of melody and excellent improvising. The guitarist was also good, although not quite as distinctive. Excellent, enjoyable music.

Track 2 – I like this because it was composed totally of organ quartet cliches. I’m serious, in spite of what I said above – this one is steak and potatoes as opposed to fine dining, but I don’t want to eat the same meal all the time. Nothing here was original, but it was so tasty. I love the organist’s sound, especially those fat bass lines. And his third solo chorus, I think it was, with the sustained notes, was just delicious. This one was a lot of fun.

Track 3 – This sounds like Jimmy Smith to me, although I’m not at all confident about that. The playing is mostly in the realm of what you would expect from this kind of trio, but it’s well done. The organist has nice, clean articulation of his notes.

Track 4 – A more old-fashioned organ sound, more like Wild Bill Davis – in sound, not style. The tenor player is the most imaginative musician here – he takes the track out of the realm of the ordinary. Is this Eddie Davis and Shirley Scott?

Track 5 – There was a lot more triple meter than I would have expected in an organ-oriented BFT. This one seemed kind of flat to me – I thought they could have done a lot more with it, although it did build some toward the end of the guitar solo. The organ sound really didn’t do anything for me – it was pretty lifeless.

Track 6 – Nice, fiery playing with just enough originality to keep me interested. I have no idea who anybody is.

Track 7 – Someone who has heard Larry Young, obviously. String bass instead of organ bass. I like the construction of this piece – interesting changes and meter changes. I like this one.

Track 8 - Wonder why we don’t hear more unaccompanied organ solos? A good organist can do it all. This is nice – rich sound; interesting composition – in waltz time, once again. No idea who it is, but I like it.

Track II/1 – Don’t know who it is, but the tune is “Woody ‘n’ You,” although the melody is different enough that they might call it something else. Good, imaginative playing over challenging changes. I like the fact the organ solo stayed pretty much in the low register – nice gritty sound.

Track II/2 – Again, don’t have any idea. The guitarist sounds vaguely Scofield-ish. This is the most minimal organ playing yet in this set. I like it, but wish the drummer sounded more involved.

Track II/3 – Great groove – love the cowbell interjections. Except for Lou Donaldson, it seems unusual to have an alto sax in an organ group. I actually have an idea who this might be, but my guess is based on so little that I’m going to keep it to myself and just see if I’m right. Good, not particularly original playing except for that groove.

Track II/4 – Some great sounds here – the unusual percussion and the ring modulator on the Rhodes. The solos fit right in with the sound/groove. Good stuff, and again, I’m clueless.

Track II/5 – Organist sounds very Larry Young-ish in sound and voicings. Everyone here is listening and creating at the top of their game. Damn, the organist sounds like Young, but I don’t see how it could be. This one is a delight.

Track II/6 – There’s that triple meter again. Good guitar playing, but the tenor player just oozes confidence and ability – he sounds like one of those guys who can play anything and holds a lot of ability in reserve. Enjoyed hearing this one.

Track II/7 – Another good one – different from the standard organ trio fare. Nice interplay among the group. And again, no idea who it might be.

Track II/8 – Nice! Just restrained enough and just dramatic enough. Was “Embraceable You” the only pop standard in this set?

Thanks for putting this together. No to go back, read the thread, and learn something.

I can't believe I didn't recognize Johnny Griffin! My excuse is that I was totally unaware that he had made an organ album.

Exactly that was the reason why I chose this album!

There's no Larry Young on these discs, and no Scofield ... and yes, Embraceable You was the only standard tune.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bill Barton

Sigh... My apologies for not taking part, Mike. I had some major computer problems in June and wasn't online much. I did get a chance to listen to the first CD and enjoyed it. Thanks for a nice mix...