BFT 66 - the Hammond B3 BFT - discussion

mikeweil

Mike, thanks for putting this together. It was one of the more challenging tests I've ever participated in, due to the fact that the main focus was concentrated on one instrument. Much more difficult to generalize or be casual about trying to identify the performers, but a great exercise for the ears. There are so many talented jazz musicians around the world now, and I'm sure a considerable percentage that I've never heard of, let alone heard. Not only that, but there are plenty of well-known organ greats that I've just never really managed to catch up with in terms of buying many recordings. So, trying to identify these was truly difficult. But above and beyond that, it was (and will continue to be) a VERY enjoyable listen for me.

Disc 1:

1. Never heard this before, but a very good modern-sounding group. I would guess that this was recorded in the past 10-15 years. Fairly simple but catchy theme. I like that short bridge. The organ sound itself doesn't provide any real clues for me, but the phrasing is varied and interesting. Nice. The guitarist plays some Martino and Benson-esque runs in there... but those influences reach around the earth, so it could be a lot of people. Anyway, he's got chops, but his style and conception aren't really what I lean toward. I'm even worse at appreciating and identifying drummers than I am with organsists, so... Overall, a very nice, tight performance that I enjoyed.

2. Nice tune... simple but This has more of a vintage vibe... bluesy soul, and more vintage-style tones from the organ. My first impulse was to wonder if this could be a Wild Bill Davis group. The tenor player doesn't get to stretch out much (and no solo at all for the guitarist), but the raunchy sound and style is in line with the period (circa 1960) that I'm imagining this could be from. Good greasy fun.

3. I don't know who this is (feel like I should, because I think it's the real deal), but... very steady groove! There's nothing quite like this sound... I could listen to this for hours.

4. This gospel-ish theme is very familiar... but I think I used to have (maybe still do) a version by another band. The guitarist reminds me a bit of Joe Pass (tone, phrasing). Aha, that's Griff's tenor... gotta be from this album.

5. Wow, very nice... this sounds like it could be somewhat of a tribute to Jimmy & Wes, in fact the guitarist plays a few octave passages and phrases that really approach Wes' sound at times. I don't recognize the tune, but I really like it. Sounds like it could be a 60's movie theme.

6. Something very engaging about the sound quality on this... I feel like I'm in the front row. The guitar solo is kind of frantic, to my ears. I like the organ solo a bit better, but... just a tad weak compared to some of the other players I've heard so far.

7. I don't care much for this theme, although the changes are pretty interesting. Listening to this organist start blowing right out of the gate, I'm a bit turned off. More frantic than the guitar solo on the previous track. I don't know why, but the tone of the organ is making me wonder if this is Eddy Louiss. Anyway, not something I would buy.

8. ? At first, I thought this was "Sweet And Lovely", but I guess it's just something very (very) similar. Oh well, not every melody is 100% distinctive, but this is one of those weird situations where a song is almost too similar to a standard. At any rate, now that I've calmed down, ;) I like this quite a bit. In fact, I just listened to it again, and I like it even more. Nicely paced, thoughtful, tasty. Sometimes organists can attempt something like this and end up getting carried away with histrionics and flash. Not so here.

=======================================================================

Disc 2:

1. Whew! Modern bebop (variations on Woody'n You?). This is very impressive, and although I was tempted at first to think I knew who this was, I'm less sure now, but in terms of talent, they BRING it. I had thought I heard elements of Peter Bernstein's phrasing from the guitarist, but I don't think it's him.

Speaking of Bernstein, I wonder how many players may be out there who now pattern themselves after him. I used to think of him as a young guy who was taking off from Grant Green and Jim Hall, but he's been on the scene for 20 years now, and I suspect he must be influencing quite a few players who are even younger. The question is, are any of them trying to sound and phrase like him...

2. Nice relaxed blues... if perhaps a little mundane. I like the tenor's sound. Can't say the same about the guitarist, where I find effects like this to just be distracting. The organist plays very under control and has a good sound. Decent playing by all, and cohesive, but nothing that really gets me very excited.

3. This theme sounds familiar, but I don't think I'll be able to place it. I like the rhythm patterns- excellent percussionist. I hear the organist vocalizing along with his (excellent) solo... now I can't remember which organists do that. I should have studied for this test. At any rate, I find this track to be a cut above... it has that extra finesse and personality that some of the previous tracks don't have. Good stuff... and I may own this, actually.

4. I've heard this tune before, but this particular recording doesn't sound familiar. Pretty cool sound with the two keyboards juxtaposed. I don't care much for the tune, but the overall group sound is attractive. Nice percussion work once again.

5. I'd put this tune in the clever but not so attractive category (just my personal opinion). Obviously, there are a million ways to transition into a blues, but this doesn't really do much for me. That said, I do recognize the quality of musicianship across the board here.

6. I find this track to be very appealing. For me, it has beauty, tastiness, mystery (the kind where I want to listen to it several times in a row to let the melody and the changes sink in deeper), fine musicianship, and great interplay. This does sound like Peter Bernstein on guitar. Not sure who that is on tenor... but he gets a nice sound. Now, I think I'll listen to this again!

7. Interesting, but not really my thing. No ideas. I like the drummer more than anything else here, I think.

8. I haven't heard anything up to this point that made me want to guess Joey DeFrancesco, but this one might be the one. Don't know who else it might be, at any rate. "Embraceable You" with some liberties taken with the melody. I'd guess Paul Bollenback on guitar (I don't own anything by him, but the tone sounds about right from what I've heard). Nice comping, by the way, whoever it might be.

Thanks again, Mike. Looking forward to gaining some insights as we progress...

Disc 1:

8. .... In fact, I just listened to it again, and I like it even more. Nicely paced, thoughtful, tasty. Sometimes organists can attempt something like this and end up getting carried away with histrionics and flash. Not so here.

This is exactly how I feel about this track (and CD as a whole)!

Disc 1:

3. I don't know who this is (feel like I should, because I think it's the real deal), but... very steady groove! There's nothing quite like this sound... I could listen to this for hours.

In fact, I do listen to this organist for hours ... he really is the real deal.

I'm convinced our board host, who just joined the test party, will tell you who it is ...

Have only downloaded disc 1, I'm going to keep disc 2 in abeyance until our able compiler posts his thoughts on my BFT. ;)

Track 1 - I'm very inclined to say I own this fine opener. Sounds modern, not vintage, and I am going to guess Greg Hatza Organ-ization. Probably wrong I know.

Track 2 - Another very familiar sounding track, I very much enjoyed this one. I am probably way off here too but I'm going to go with Sir Charles Thompson with Percy France, off his Columbia album. Definitely a keeper, whoever it is.

As for Tracks 3-8, none stood out for me in terms of possible guesses, and in all honesty, they ranged from "just OK" to "pretty good" but none were standouts like the first two tracks. :unsure:

Looking forward to disc 2, which I will quid just as soon as a certain quo is completed. :g

Have only downloaded disc 1, I'm going to keep disc 2 in abeyance until our able compiler posts his thoughts on my BFT.

Working on it - will post some on Sunday! ;)

Track 1 - I'm very inclined to say I own this fine opener. Sounds modern, not vintage, and I am going to guess Greg Hatza Organ-ization. Probably wrong I know.

Track 2 - Another very familiar sounding track, I very much enjoyed this one. I am probably way off here too but I'm going to go with Sir Charles Thompson with Percy France, off his Columbia album. Definitely a keeper, whoever it is.

I thought you would like track 2 - but both guesses are wrong ...

Edited by mikeweil

Hey Mike. The disc arrived today! Just got home from work and I’m sitting down to check it out:

Disc 1

1. Digging it. Killer guitarist and band in general. No guesses on players.

2. Deep groove. Great sound on this organ. And I love the way the sax just comes in screamin’ at the opening of the solo. Heavyweight champion tone. Nice track.

3. This is the 1st track where the organist sounds familiar to me. Dr. Smith? No idea what tune it is. And it’s definitely not Bernstein on guitar (he plays w/ Smith a lot). But I don’t know who it could be. There’s a lot of grant green in his/her playing but I don’t think it’s him…

4. Not pulling me in.

5. This one’s leaving me cold.

6. Riff baby! Another killer guitar player. You’re schoolin’ me man. I should know some of these guys I bet. Beautiful playing all ‘round. But I gotta say that tonic pedal the organist used for the last couple choruses for his solo ruined it for me. Just doesn’t work. Maybe if he’d played it an octave down? Or up? Oh well…

7. I like the meter changes. burning playing. I’m guessing Joey D. Having a lot of fun w/ this disc so far.

8. Love the sound, but didn’t particularly dig the melody. But the blowing is real nice.

Disc 2

1. Sounds like they’re goofin’ on “Woody ‘N You” for the head. This guitarist reminds me of jesse van ruller. I’m gonna guess it’s him. Great playing. Killer band but no guesses on the other players.

2. This track doesn’t grab me. Feels like going through the motions to me. Oh well. I’ll guess that the sax player is Mintzer. the guitarist reminds me of Abercrombie but I don’t think it’s him.

3. Bernstein is the man! Dr. Smith?

4. Sounds an awful lot like MMW. I’m gonna guess that it’s them, though I don’t recognize the track and it‘s a bit tame compared to what I associate with them. Great band, nice track.

5. This alto player is burning. Herring? I really like the whole vibe of this track. They’re diggin’ in. Mike LeDonne on organ? Like a track on the last BFT, I’m thinking this is Stewart on drums but may be confusing him w/ that other drummer from ny that has that “III” in his name. don’t know…

6. Bernstein is the man! Totally digging this tenor player. Sounds like a young modern player like a McCaslin, Cheek, or someone but I can’t place it.

7. “Temoin” by Brad Shepik Trio from Places You Go. Gary Versace on organ and Tom Rainey on drums. Good record but Lingua Franca is still my favorite from Shepik. I interviewed Shepik for this release Here

8. “Embraceable You.” this is great and a beautiful “set closer” for the disc. Listening to it reminds me of staying ‘til close at Smoke on a slow night in the upper west side. Great playing by both guys.

Fun BFT. It’s a little late where I’m at and I went through and wrote these 1st impressions pretty quick one time through. Time to check in and see what else has been said. Thanks so much for sending it out Mike!!!

Thanks for the guesses - you're better than you think! The guess of 2-7 is correct, of course - nice interview. I think he's one of the few guys who's tryin' to find something new with the organ trio.

As far as the other names are concerned, you're about 50% right!

Disc 1:

4. This gospel-ish theme is very familiar... but I think I used to have (maybe still do) a version by another band. The guitarist reminds me a bit of Joe Pass (tone, phrasing). Aha, that's Griff's tenor... gotta be from this album.

Dic 2:

8. I haven't heard anything up to this point that made me want to guess Joey DeFrancesco, but this one might be the one. Don't know who else it might be, at any rate. "Embraceable You" with some liberties taken with the melody. I'd guess Paul Bollenback on guitar (I don't own anything by him, but the tone sounds about right from what I've heard). Nice comping, by the way, whoever it might be.

That guess on 1-4 is right, of course. An overlooked album, IMO, and IIRC Griff's only organ album.

As to 2-8: No Joey D on these CDs ... I avoided some familiar names and chose tracks by some others. There is no J.O.S. there or McDuff or McGriff, no Groove Holmes, but ...

I'm posting this without reading the other responses. I honestly didn't know a lot of these tunes. But then again, I stopped buying organ records about 4 years ago for the most part.

CD 1

Track 1: I'm going to say Eddy Louiss, but I honestly don't know. Sounds European to me for some reason. :)

Track 2: He's using pedals for bass exclusively. Wild Bill Davis? Jackie Davis?

Track 3: Don Patterson. I have this, just can't think of the name of the tune. Gotta be Billy James on the skins. With Martino?

Track 4: Sounds like Freddie Roach.

Track 5: I have no idea. Sounds like a modern recording. No bass pedals. Tune doesn't really go anywhere.

Track 6: Obviously influenced heavily by Jimmy Smith. Sounds like Paul Bollenback on guitar. Maybe Joey D or Tony Monaco (writing this before hearing the organ solo)?

I'm going to go with Tony, although that solo was uncharacteristically restrained.

Track 7: Dunno. First I was going to say Dennerlein because the bass sounds almost sampled to me, but it's a quite a bit funkier than she usually is.

Track 8: Dunno. But it's nice, although the chorus generator on that Hammond sounds wonky.

CD 2

Track 1: Sounds a lot like Mel Rhyne.

Track 2: Not sure, but I dig the organ tone. The bass lines sound a lot like Joey D, but not the solo... again, very restrained, so it's probably not him. Nice bass lines.

Track 3: Dr. Lonnie Smith. Knew within 2 seconds. His rhythm and bass lines are unmistakeable.

Track 4: Larry Goldings. Bill Stewart. Kevin Hayes. Love this record.

Track 5: Sounds like Goldings or Sam Yahel. Drummer sounds like Bill Stewart again but could be Brian Blade which would make the horn player Redman and the organist Yahel... but I'm not sure.

Track 6: Definitely Peter Bernstein. Not sure who the organist is... could be Yahel again or Goldings. Horn sounds very familar. Nice tune.

Track 7: Sounds like Brad Shepik. Gary Versace? If so, I've been wanting to pick up this record for awhile, just haven't gotten around to it.

Track 8: Don Patterson. Knew in about 1 second. :) Love me some DP.

Thanks a lot, Jim, for your guesses - I counted on you getting DP or Melvin Rhyne or the Turbanator or Goldings in seconds, but I am glad at the same time I came up with some organists you didn't recognize. Some surprises among them, maybe ... The Shepik has been guessed by thedwork already, and it's really a nice disc.

No Joey D or Dennerlein here ...

Edited by mikeweil

Comments...

I'd like to show the lady on the B3 my organ...

BFT:

Okay, I *did* predict I'd get none of these, and I'm confident that I'm right about that. Just finished Disc 1.

Track 1 -- Ordinarily, this instrumentation is not one of my favorites, but I like the way this band plays together. Not sure who it is, but my thought is this is what Joey DeFrancesco *tries* to sound like. Very solid.

Track 2 -- This is more down my alley. I know the song, but not the title. Tenor was brief but I'll guess Teddy Edwards on an aggressive day. Not sure on the organ. I know I have this buried somewhere in the collection.

Track 3 -- If it's not late Groove Holmes, it's somebody who has listened a whole lot to him. Nice, clean guitar sound without going over the top on effects the way so many "Jazz" guitarists seem to. Hmmm... rethinking Groove, because it seems like the guitarist's record.

Track 4 -- Strange sound... sounds almost live. That's Johnny Griffin for sure. God that man was ridiculous! Such a baaaaad man!

Track 5 -- I'm guessing this is newer, because it sounds so much like Wes it's scary, but it's not really clicking for me (which Wes typically does).

Track 6 -- Not a fan of that guitar sound, or style. No idea.

Track 7 -- Sounds like Larry Young to me, but I'm not recognizing it... is it possible that I've missed and LY recording? Drummer is growling like Elvin, but seems far too sane.

Track 8 -- Ouch... easy on the tremolo. No idea.

In spite of my predilection against organ/guitar trios, my ears enjoyed this. It's nice to hear more of a genre I've only touched the tip of. Thanks!

Thanks for you thoughts - that's a helluva compliment that you enjoyed it although organ is not your daily dish.

No Groove Holmes on these discs, and no Larry Young. The organist on 1-3 has been identified, as is the Griffin disc.

The guitarist on 1-5 was indeed heavily influenced by Wes, and made no secret of it.

Thanks Mike, the 2 cd's arrived yesterday in my box and I could not wait to give them a listen...

Excellent selection, covering a wide range of styles, very good sound quality, some tunes are really hot, this makes me a happy man.

except I can't identify even one track..! and I thought I was knowledgeable in the Hammond field :lol::g:w:D

Promised : i'll try hard to write something, er, ..something about this BFT

Thanks again for this very exciting test ;)

First full listen as we speak, the usual thanks and disclaimers going out loud and clear, let's PLAY BALL!

DISC ONE

TRACK ONE - damn, that tune is familiar...like some Wayne/Messengers (or Vee-Jay) thing... good bass by the organis, damn good,,,i dig how the drummer kicks in for the guitar solo...organ is ok, but that guitar sounds more mature, knowing....but the drummer doesn't keep up and drops it too soon rather than keeps building for that last chours, not sure about that..on my computer speakers, the drums sound like the old columbia studio, not sure what the sound like in real sound...pretty good overall, but even more overall, I'd like to hear the guitarist with more..."challenging" players. But this is my-t-fine as is. I'm certainly not deleting it from my hard drive!

TRACK TWO - another one that sounds familiar, as in I think I have it somewhere somehow...McGriff? Red Holloway? Which would probably mean McDuff? Sounds like a Rudy recording, the pedals do. No matter, old-school for real, for honest, and seasoned like grandma's black-eyed peas. In other words, as real as it comes. This is the kind of stuff that got me into organjazz in the first place. And dig our man on tenor - one chorus and out. Sure he's got plenty more to say, but what he says here is not leaving more to be said, if you know what I mean. SEASONING!!!

TRACK THREE - More seasoning at work. Fleet! I can groove on the lead, or I can groove on the guitar(or organ)/drum zone. I'm happy either way. Love it when that happens. You talk about seasoning, these three guys feed each other, constantly. Love it when that happens too. Gotta be a RudyRecord too, fwiw. One more thing - that head would be corny as hell on anything else but B-3. Now that's really seasoning!

TRACK FOUR - In Griff I Trust! http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...10:0zfrxq8gldfe Probably overlooked by Griff & organ fans alike. Griff was like God if God was your really hip next-door neighbor who didn't mind getting fucked up sometimes because he knew he could still handle his business. How do you not like that?

TRACK FIVE - Something about B-3 & "latin" grooves that gets to me good...but the sound is too "clean"...a B-3, even when played softly should...fill up some air, not waft through it all "respectful" and shit...part of that is recording, but i kinfa get the feeling that these folks never even noticed it, or if they did, not as a potential "problem"...and the Wes thing...GOOD BOY!!!!!!!... :bad: nah, I'll pass on this one, not even gonna finish it, thanks anyway.

TRACK SIX - Seasoned well, but not fully "well-seasoned" for my taste...but much props and full respect neverthenonetheless...just sounds maybe...a half-degree or so separated from the kitchen, like they know grandma's recipe by heart and love it so much that they cook it verbatim. Well, that's...just not possible. Grandma's foot imparts a subtle flavor all its own.

TRACK SEVEN - Son Of Moontrane? Lawrence Jr of Newark? I dunno, but...it's ok, and obviously played with love, but...I dunno. Sometimes love is not fun.

TRACK EIGHT - You hear solo piano out the ass, but hardly ever solo jazz B-3. How come is that? Kinda corny, but kinda "simple & direct" too...fine line between those two, and I'll lean towards the latter just for that gorgeous intro & those wonderfully phrased doodley-doodley-doodley triplets. And for the composition itself, clihed, but ultimately....right. If Timmy Thomas had played jazz, maybe it would have sound like this. Maybe.

Nice way to end a disc!

Now, on to...

DISC TWO

TRACK ONE - Sounds like a McDuff arrangement..."Woody'n You" changes...nice drummer, keeps it in there...yeah, this is newer, but i'm feeling it like the older stuff, especially that drummer, who definitely knows what the deal is. And not done a disservice by the recording.

TRACK TWO - this kind of thing sometimes really pisses me off...but not now. It's just that that whole hyper-clean, hyper-focused tone, hyper-eighth note, hyper-sincere "New York Tenor" thing is not someplace or something I want to put my..."male reproductive organ" into, if you know what I mean. Is that Scofield on guitar? Anyway...i take things too personal sometimes, maybe this is one of those things and times.

TRACK THREE - ALTO! How DARE you!!! :g Seriously, fullest props to organ & drummer. Everybody else...thanks for playing our game.

TRACK FOUR - Sounds like "Ain't That Peculiar" meets "Africa"... Ya' know, there's nothing as refreshing as some really cold good watermelon, and I'm having some right now while I listen to this. And enjoying both.

TRACK FIVE - Nah. Almost, though. That's not Charlie Mariano, is it? Sounds like somebody who could (and has) had better outings.

TRACK SIX - Nice, but I can't hear it w/o thinking of "A Child Is Born"... Almost Lovano on tenor, but Lovano swings...again, nice. But.

TRACK SEVEN - Sounds kinda ECM-ish, in a good way...don't know that I "like" it, but I do dig it...maybe i'd "like" it more if the guitarist would've breathed some...lord knows that drumer ain't gonna let it falter any if you do..actually gets better as it goes along, i think...opens up into some different (for me) flavor...salutes aplenty here, and keep up the good work and the individuality.

TRACK EIGHT - "Embraceable You", the first (I thnk) "standard" on either disc (and kudos to the kompiler for that!) http://www.stevekhan.com/4dimensions_cov_sm.jpg

Thanks to Mike for some great sounds (in FLAC format no less!) and a selection that held very few readily identifiable players, bands, or tunes. Gotta love that for a challenge!

Thanks for the kind words Jim!

Except for the Griff, no correct guesses - the Griffin was the giveaway track in these discs.

Re Disc 1 - 2: not a Van Gelder recording, but 1-3 is. Still waiting for correct identification of the tenor on 1-2 ... :g

Very interesting comments so far - there will be some surprises when I reveal the identities of some players here ...

Edited by mikeweil

As expected, i could hardly identify any of the tracks...Just a feeling of having already heard that one...but of course!

here are some lines

DISC 1

1. Great tune, very good guitar player, the sound is clean and well balanced

2.Good tune, good swinging, I like the chord playing on the Hammond here : possibly Bill doggett or Milt Buckner?

3.Maybe Freddie roach, the guitar player reminds me partly of Grant Green, but less typical.

4.Excellent, colourfull, groovin' No idea who it might be but I kike it very much

5.Sounds like melvin Rhyne and wes, but not sure he is really the guitar player

6.No idea

7. The only track I dislike...no idea

8. perhaps Rhoda Scott here..?

DISC2

1.Could be Don Patterson

2.Very good theme, right mood, right recording. I like this one very much. maybe Charles Earland?

3. sounds like McDuff, but you said he wasn't part of the BFT. Exciting track

4. No idea, just don'rt like it...

5.Sounds like lary Young before he went mas!

6. Excellent track, modern enough, inventive, musical, my favorite one. possibly Bernstein and Goldings?

7. Good playing here, despite the poor theme : these guys should sound great in a better repertoire.

8.Don Patteron, probably. Pity for the "hole in the middle" effect of the recording, too much separation between channels;

now then this will probably result in throwing me out of the Organissimo forum, but I spent an excellent hour listening to your discs, Mike...somewhat like the last rhum and cigarette before walking to the electric chair.. :excited:

DISC 1

Congrats! :tup

DISC2

6. Excellent track, modern enough, inventive, musical, my favorite one. possibly Bernstein and Goldings?

8.Don Patterson, probably. Pity for the "hole in the middle" effect of the recording, too much separation between channels;

You're better than you think! But the tenor player on 2-6 still has to be identified ...

The channel separation on these tracks was somewhat changed through the convsersion to flac files, and even the burning, although I used the lowest spped my burner accepted. It is less obvious on the original CD. Sorry for that, but the CD I took it from is still available.

Some more folks in for guesses?

DISC 1

Congrats! :tup

DISC2

8.Don Patterson, probably. Pity for the "hole in the middle" effect of the recording, too much separation between channels;

You're better than you think! But the tenor player on 2-6 still has to be identified ...

The channel separation on these tracks was somewhat changed through the convsersion to flac files, and even the burning, although I used the lowest spped my burner accepted. It is less obvious on the original CD. Sorry for that, but the CD I took it from is still available.

Some more folks in for guesses?

Thks Mike,

i'm eager to read your list so I can add these to my collection. Going to have good times in July :D:g

tchuss

Michel

I haven't looked at any of the responses yet, and really don't have any guesses (although I'll try later). Basically, they all pretty much sound the same to me. That said, this is EASILY the most consistently enjoyable BFT I've heard since MartyJazz's BFT 28. This is one I'm gonna be coming back to on a regular basis and may even purchase some of the discs that make up this BFT (assuming I don't have them already, always a possibility these days).

I listened to this on my return flight from Virginia on Saturday, after having had one of THE most stressful days driving from Newport News to DC. This music is so good, so relaxing, so.... hell, I'm running out of adjectives! It's just... GOOD. Consistently good! I can put this on and not want to turn it off, just let it play to the end.

Guesses later, Mike, but just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying this music!