New Art Pepper coming out soon.

mikelz777

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad that you are continuing to bring us more unreleased Art Pepper material, Laurie!

Just wish that other estates of our fallen heroes would explore whether their musicians have unreleased material that we could experience-it would be such a treat for those of us to expand our collections-and bring in some $ to those who could surely use any profits.

I remember happily reading that Blue Mitchell's widow (hopefully still alive?) received some royalty money when some of Blue's Blue Note material was used commercially...

Keep on keeping on, Laurie! :tup

-Jeff

The press release refers to a download from CDBABY of the album 'Blues for The Fisherman' that will be available shortly. I was lucky enough to buy a copy of this when it was first released by Mole Jazz and it really is a terrific album from a session he did live at Ronnie Scott's Club in June, 1980. What a shame it isn't getting a proper re-release on CD.

It WILL be re-released on LPs by Pure Pleasure Records in England.

Thanks for the info, Laurie.

Is there some reason why it's only getting a vinyl release since I'm sure that will mean a far smaller audience for what is a terrific recording.

BTW I saw him live at Ronnie Scott's on the same tour and he was on fire; a really memorable occasion.

The press release refers to a download from CDBABY of the album 'Blues for The Fisherman' that will be available shortly. I was lucky enough to buy a copy of this when it was first released by Mole Jazz and it really is a terrific album from a session he did live at Ronnie Scott's Club in June, 1980. What a shame it isn't getting a proper re-release on CD.

It WILL be re-released on LPs by Pure Pleasure Records in England.

Thanks for the info, Laurie.

Is there some reason why it's only getting a vinyl release since I'm sure that will mean a far smaller audience for what is a terrific recording.

BTW I saw him live at Ronnie Scott's on the same tour and he was on fire; a really memorable occasion.

Yes. I'll release it eventually on cd's, but right now I just can't afford to put out more than one album a year.

As we await its actual release, this is what we have to look forward to.

Art Pepper

The Art History Project

Disc 1: Pure Art

1951-1960

master 11-25-08

1. Art Pepper (5:17)

2. Fascinatin' Rhythm (4:23)

3. Patricia (3:36) master2

4. Tickle Toe (2:51)

5. Pepper Returns (4:24)

6. Mambo De La Pinta (4:14)

7. These Foolish Things (2:38) master2

8. Cool Bunny (4:13)

9. Besame Mucho (3:58)

10.Art's Oregano (3:08)

11. Diane (3:32)

12. I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me (5:22)

13. Straight Life (2:49)

14. Everything Happens To Me (3:05) master2

15. Nutmeg (3:11)

16. What's New (4:04)

17. Begin The Beguine (7:21)

total 68:53

Savoy & EMI masters used by permission

Art Pepper - Alto Sax

#1 Stan Kenton Innovations Orchestra

#2, 17 (4-1-57)

Carl Perkins - Piano Ben Tucker - Bass Chuck Flores – Drums

#3, 5, 6 (8-6-56)

Jack Sheldon - Trumpet [#5, 6 only] Russ Freeman – Piano

Leroy Vinnegar - Bass

Shelly Manne· Drums

#4, 14 (3-29-53)

Russ Freeman - Piano Bob Whitlock - Bass Bobby White - Drums

#7 (3-4-52)

Hampton Hawes - Piano Joe Mondragon - Bass Larry Bunker – Drums

#8 (1-14-57)

Russ Freeman - Piano Ben Tucker - Bass Chuck Flores – Drums

#9, 11 (11-23-56)

Russ Freeman - Piano Ben Tucker - Bass Gary Frommer – Drums

#12, 16 (11-26-56)

Warne Marsh - Tenor Sax Ronnie Ball - Piano

Ben Tucker - Bass

Gary Frommer· Drums

#10, 13, 15 (8-25-54)

Jack Montrose - Tenor Sax Claude Williamson - Piano Monte Budwig - Bass

Larry Bunker - Drums

Disc 2: Hard Art (1960-1968)

master 2-23-09

#1. Rehearsal (1 :07) mstr4

#2. Track 2 (7:51) mstr2

#3. So In Love (10:54) mstr3

#4. talk (:15) mstr5

#5. That Crazy Blues (6:24) mstr3

#6. D Section (10:44) mstr2

#7. Chelsea Bridge (5:11)

Art Pepper - Alto Sax

#1-6 (1964)

Frank Strazzeri - Piano Hersh Hamel - Bass Bill Goodwin - Drums

#7 (1968)

Buddy Rich Big Band

Charles Owens- Alto Sax, Flute, Clar Don Menza - Ten Sax, Flute

Pat LaBarbera - Ten Sax, Flute John Laws - Baritone Sax, Bass Clar

Trumpets - AI Porcino, Bill Prince, Ken Faulk, Dave CUlp Trombones - Jim Trimble, Rick Stepton, Peter Graves

Walt Namuth - Guitar Joe Azarello - Piano Gary Walters - Bass Buddy Rich - Drums

Mastered by Wayne Peet - Newzone Studio, Los Angeles

Disc 3: Consummate Art (1972-1982)

master 03-24-09

1.Caravan (12:55)

2. Lost Life (8:37)

3. Landscape(12:46) mstr2

4. Angel Wings(5:16)

5. Historia de un Amor (7:43)

6. Mambo Koyama (14:11) mstr2

7. That's Love (7:30) mstr2

total 69:15

Art Pepper· Alto Sax with:

1. Live In Japan, YBC TV Hall, Yamagata 3·14·78

7. Live in Paris, Espace Cardin 5-19-81

Milcho Leviev • Piano Bob Magnusson· Bass Carl Burnett· Drums

2. Live at Bach Dynamite & Dancing Society, Half Moon Bay, CA 1977

Smith Dobson· Piano Jim Nichols· Bass Brad Bilhorn • Drums

3 & 6. Live at Fat Tuesday's NYC April 1982 Stanley Cowell • Piano

George Mraz • Bass, Ben Riley· Drums

4 & 5. Hollywood All Star Sessions - 1980 Jack Sheldon - Trumpet

Russ Freeman· Piano, Bob Magnusson - Bass Carl Burnett· Drums

Edited & mastered by Wayne Peet Newzone Studio, Los Angeles Feb, March 2009

Is there anyone else out there who dislikes the name "Widow's Taste" as much as I do. I love Art Pepper, and I commend Laurie for doing what she can to keep his legacy alive, but, boy, that is one lousy name for a record label. I had to get that off my chest. Now I feel better.

Up over and out.

I guess she's 'gettin' a taste'.....

I'll be getting on board as well. From the song samples, it sounds like another winner.

The description indicates that 2/3 of the music here has never been released before. With 31 tracks, that would make about 10 songs that have been released before. Does anyone know what songs they might be? Two of them should be the Warne Marsh tunes (12&16) from disc one and the two songs (4&5) from disc three that were identified from the Hollywood All Star Sessions. Can anyone here identify what else on this set has been released before?

(see post #36 for the set's discography)

Edit: It appears several of the numbers from disc 1 are from "Surf Ride", "Art Pepper Quartet" and "Discovery Sessions".

Edited by mikelz777

My copy arrived in today's mail! So right away I put on disc 1, which was the disc I was really looking forward to hearing.

My standards for an Art Pepper disc are very high. I have recently been listening on lala to The Return of Art Pepper, and I love it. I may buy a hard copy of that one. Perfect West Coast cool.

I like all of my Art Pepper albums, with my least favorite being Modern Art. It's solid jazz, but I don't think it's five-star special.

Because my expectations of disc 1 here were so high, I'm somewhat disappointed in it. I would rank it with Modern Art in terms of quality. It sounds very much like it.

One of the things disc 1 does is make me appreciate even more the three previously released Widow's Taste albums, all of which were late-period Art. I always thought I preferred 50s Art to late Art, but maybe I should limit that to only the earliest of his recordings when his sound was really smooth.

I'll keep listening to disc 1 and let it sink in, and I'll let you guys be the first to review discs 2 and 3.

By the way, the fidelity on my pedestrian system is great throughout the entire disc.

Edit: Oops! No wonder it sounds like Modern Art! Now that I have taken the time to look quickly at the liner notes, I see that 7 of the disc's 17 tracks have been taken from that CD! 5 have been taken from Surf Ride, and 2 from Meets the Rhythm Section.

Edited by GA Russell

you must have ordered it immediately... as I waited two days and it was already out of stock...:(

I did get an email that they got more copies and shipped mine yesterday. Hopefully I'll get mine on Monday...

I didn't like the cover... :( But how's the liner notes????

I received my copy today as well. I've been jumping around on the tracks/discs and have been listening to the second disc for a while. I really like it! I'm sure fans of Art Pepper will enjoy this release.

I did order the first day, and CDBaby shipped it the same day.

Edited by Matt