The 15 Creepiest Vintage Ads Of All Time

I can't upload it because the file is too big, but I have this great ad for Pears Soap in a book. It depicts two children: One white and one black (the black child has buckwheat-style hair and giant pop-eyes). In the first of the two images, the black child is climbing into a bathtub where he is to be washed by the white child with Pears Soap. In the second panel, the black child is now white from the neck down. Attached is an image I found online. It's not as good as the scan I made from my book, but it will give you an idea of what the ad looks like.

3.jpg

Isn't that awesome?!

Edited by Alexander

That is unbelievable, Alexander.

Another type of vintage ad which I find creepy is the physician endorsement of cigarette ad. There were many of them, for most (if not all) of the major brands. Here is just one example:

Camel1.jpg

Camel2.jpg

Scary to think that getting doctors to endorse your cigarettes would keep people smoking.

That is unbelievable, Alexander.

Another type of vintage ad which I find creepy is the physician endorsement of cigarette ad. There were many of them, for most (if not all) of the major brands. Here is just one example:

Camel1.jpg

Camel2.jpg

Makes me think of my father-in-law, who was a general surgeon. After he retired to Florida he would occasionally be asked to lend an air of importance to various charitable gatherings. I remember rummaging through a box of photos at his home, and coming upon a newspaper photo of him addressing the local American Cancer Society chapter. With the news clipping was the original photo; the editor had cropped the cigarette my father-in-law was holding as he spoke. He died of lung cancer, incidentally.

I don't know why I'm posting this as some people might not get it, but this ad is kinda infamous over this side of the pond, it's just a bit wrong somehow.

Yep. Don't get it. Seems like it's reaching to get some kind of dirty double meaning out of it. It is possible for an older person to share something with a child without it being perverted!