bobby hackett's dixieland music

alocispepraluger102

Don't miss "Somebody Loves Me" on Decca by an Eddie Condon group including Bobby and Tea. Another gem under Condon's name is "Embraceable You" on Commodore. Another Commodore gem (but without Teagarden) is "New Orleans" with not only a great Hackett solo but a great Ernie Caceres solo. You can probably get all of those relatively inexpensively from Amazon on Chronogical Classics. They are all laden with great Hackett.

Later great recording include "Coast Concert" and "Jazz Ultimate". Both on Capitol.

One essential recommendation and one eccentric one:

Essential: That Da Da Strain - A collection of small-group and big band sides from 1938 and 1939. The stuff with Pee Wee Russell is especially nice. It's been on various CBS labels over the years - I've got it on a Portrait LP.

Eccentric: Hello Louis - A mid-60's album of Bobby playing Louis Armstrong compositions, common and obscure. It's a strange quasi-dixieland band, with Steve Lacy(!) on soprano sax. I like it a lot, but it certainly shouldn't be at the top of anyone's must-have Hackett list. It looks like it's out on a Collectibles CD, paired with one of his mood music albums.

And one of my dirty little secrets is that I like Bobby Hackett's mood music albums.

Essential: That Da Da Strain - A collection of small-group and big band sides from 1938 and 1939. The stuff with Pee Wee Russell is especially nice. It's been on various CBS labels over the years - I've got it on a Portrait LP.

Eccentric: Hello Louis - A mid-60's album of Bobby playing Louis Armstrong compositions, common and obscure. It's a strange quasi-dixieland band, with Steve Lacy(!) on soprano sax. I like it a lot, but it certainly shouldn't be at the top of anyone's must-have Hackett list. It looks like it's out on a Collectibles CD, paired with one of his mood music albums.

And one of my dirty little secrets is that I like Bobby Hackett's mood music albums.

i love them, too, especially the duo one with glenn osser on pipe organ, and the gleason stuff, of course.

i've played the tony bennet "the very thought of you'' easily a million times, mainly for the mindblowing hackett solo. the tension he builds in that solo is nearly unbearable.

If it's the stuff I'm thinking of, e.g.'You, You & Especially You' there's a bonus in a couple of opportunities to hear Pee Wee soloing on tenor. Interesting sound and approach.

I recently purchased a used cd copy of "That Da Da Strain" on Portrait. There is no discographical information apart from a few hints on oputstanding soloists in the liner notes by Dan Morgenstern. Does anyone have a full listing of personnel and dates? These are the tracks on the cd:

At The Jazz Band Ball

That Da-Da Strain

Jammin' The Waltz

Clementine

Blue And Disillusioned

Ghost Of A Chance

Poor Butterfly

Doin' The New Low Down

That's How Dreams Should End

Ain't Misbehavin'

Sunrise Serenade

Embraceable You

Bugle Call Rag

Ja-Da

Clarinet Marmalade

Singin' The Blues

I guess I could try and look it up for you, but these Condon(ites) discographies are a real mess, as there are often multiple versions of the same songs (sometimes also multiple sessions, each with multiple takes of the same songs...), and they were released under various leaders' names...

I have some Hackett, mainly the Quadromania (which is a messy one, if I remember right, not one of the more or less orderly and chronological ones).

"Coast Concert" and "Jazz Ultimate" are on this Collector's Music twofer (which I got) - both were also on the Teagarden Capitol Mosaic (which I sadly missed). The twofer misses some versions of tunes (one of the albums was done in stereo and mono mixes, the Mosaic has all of it).

e61548qpcmi.jpg

> AMG <

The "mood music" by Hackett would then be the albums compiled on the Hackett Mosaic box, I assume? (And also on various Collectables twofers)

One essential recommendation and one eccentric one:Hello Louis - A mid-60's album of Bobby playing Louis Armstrong compositions, common and obscure. It's a strange quasi-dixieland band, with Steve Lacy(!) on soprano sax.

say WHAAAAT?

One copy is currently being offered on eBay

Steve Lacy is on soprano, Roger Kellaway on piano...

One essential recommendation and one eccentric one:Hello Louis - A mid-60's album of Bobby playing Louis Armstrong compositions, common and obscure. It's a strange quasi-dixieland band, with Steve Lacy(!) on soprano sax.

say WHAAAAT?

brownie------a distinct and unexpected pleasure.

say WHAAAAT?

oh my!

who else rounds out the rhythm section?

This is getting interesting...

Oh yeah, absolutely...him & Rudd both...I just didn't know that he had made a side on Epic with Bobby Hackett in 1964...post-Prestige. post-Lacy/Rudd/Nichols hangouts...the date (and the label!) seems kind of jarring to me, that's all, not the notion itself.

oh my!

who else rounds out the rhythm section?

This is getting interesting...

Beside Kellaway, there is Al Chernet on banjo, Harvey Phillips on tuba and Ronnie Bedord on drums. Marshall Brown is credited with the arrangements.

Ok, that's just wack!

gotta get that Colelctables 2-fer... would get the vinyl, but a good Hackett MOR session is...not the worst of fates to encounter.

I recently purchased a used cd copy of "That Da Da Strain" on Portrait. There is no discographical information apart from a few hints on oputstanding soloists in the liner notes by Dan Morgenstern. Does anyone have a full listing of personnel and dates?

Here ya go:

At The Jazz Band Ball

That Da-Da Strain

Bobby Hackett - cornet; George Brunies - trombone; Pee Wee Russell - clarinet, tenor sax; Bernie Billings - tenor sax; Dave Bowman - piano; Eddie Condon - guitar; Clyde Newcombe - bass; Johnny Blowers - drums; NYC, Feb. 16, 1938

Jammin' The Waltz

Clementine

Bobby Hackett - cornet; Pete Brown - alto sax, trumpet; Joe Marsala - clarinet, tenor sax; Joe Bushkin - piano, celeste; Ray Biondi - guitar, violin; Artie Shapiro - bass; George Wetting - drums; NYC, March 10, 1938

Blue And Disillusioned

Ghost Of A Chance

Poor Butterfly

Doin' The New Low Down

Bobby Hackett - cornet; Brad Gowans - valve trombone, alto sax; Pee Wee Russell - clarinet; Ernie Caceres - baritone sax; Dave Bowman - piano; Eddie Condon - guitar; Clyde Newcombe - bass; Andy Picard - drums; Linda Keene - vocal; NYC, Nov. 4, 1938

Ain't Misbehavin'

Sunrise Serenade

Embraceable You

Bobby Hackett - cornet; Sterling Bose, Jack Thompson - trumpet; Brad Gowans - valve trombone; George Troup - tromboone; Pee Wee Russell - clarinet; Louis Colombo - alto sax; Bernie Billings - tenor sax; Ernie Caceres - baritone sax; Dave Bowman - piano; Eddie Condon - guitar; Sid Jacobs - bass; Don Carter - drums; NYC, April 13, 1939

Bugle Call Rag

Ja-Da

Bobby Hackett - cornet; Stan Wilson, Joe Lucas, Harry Genders - trumpet; John Crassi, Cappy Crouse - tromboone; Louis Colombo, Jerry Caplan - alto sax; Hammond Russum, Hank Kmen - tenor sax; Dave Bowman - piano; Bob Julian - guitar; Sid Jacobs - bass; Don Carter - drums; Claire Martin - vocal; NYC, April 13, 1939

Clarinet Marmalade

Singin' The Blues

Bobby Hackett - cornet; Bernie Mattison - trumpet; Jerry Borshard - tb; Bob Riedel - clarinet; George Dessinger - tenor sax; Jim Beitus - baritone sax; Frankie Carle - pianop; bob Knight - guitar; Eddie McKinney - bass; Don Carter - drums; LA, Jan. 25, 1940

Edited by jeffcrom

I recently purchased a used cd copy of "That Da Da Strain" on Portrait. There is no discographical information apart from a few hints on oputstanding soloists in the liner notes by Dan Morgenstern. Does anyone have a full listing of personnel and dates?

Here ya go:

At The Jazz Band Ball

That Da-Da Strain

Bobby Hackett - cornet; George Brunies - trombone; Pee Wee Russell - clarinet, tenor sax; Bernie Billings - tenor sax; Dave Bowman - piano; Eddie Condon - guitar; Clyde Newcombe - bass; Johnny Blowers - drums; NYC, Feb. 16, 1938

Jammin' The Waltz

Clementine

Bobby Hackett - cornet; Pete Brown - alto sax, trumpet; Joe Marsala - clarinet, tenor sax; Joe Bushkin - piano, celeste; Ray Biondi - guitar, violin; Artie Shapiro - bass; George Wetting - drums; NYC, March 10, 1938

Blue And Disillusioned

Ghost Of A Chance

Poor Butterfly

Doin' The New Low Down

Bobby Hackett - cornet; Brad Gowans - valve trombone, alto sax; Pee Wee Russell - clarinet; Ernie Caceres - baritone sax; Dave Bowman - piano; Eddie Condon - guitar; Clyde Newcombe - bass; Andy Picard - drums; Linda Keene - vocal; NYC, Nov. 4, 1938

Ain't Misbehavin'

Sunrise Serenade

Embraceable You

Bobby Hackett - cornet; Sterling Bose, Jack Thompson - trumpet; Brad Gowans - valve trombone; George Troup - tromboone; Pee Wee Russell - clarinet; Louis Colombo - alto sax; Bernie Billings - tenor sax; Ernie Caceres - baritone sax; Dave Bowman - piano; Eddie Condon - guitar; Sid Jacobs - bass; Don Carter - drums; NYC, April 13, 1939

Bugle Call Rag

Ja-Da

Clarinet Marmalade

Singin' The Blues

Bobby Hackett - cornet; Stan Wilson, Joe Lucas, Harry Genders - trumpet; John Crassi, Cappy Crouse - tromboone; Louis Colombo, Jerry Caplan - alto sax; Hammond Russum, Hank Kmen - tenor sax; Dave Bowman - piano; Bob Julian - guitar; Sid Jacobs - bass; Don Carter - drums; Claire Martin - vocal; NYC, April 13, 1939

Thank you very much!!!!! :rolleyes:

similarly i was surprised to see that the joe thomas atlantic session was actually herbie nichols last recording date, not something he recorded before he did what he's... famous for...

My memory is that that Atlantic date was something of a dud, as were a good many of the ones that Brit mainstream critics like Albert McCarthy and Stanley Dance A&R'ed over here for Atlantic and Felsted at around that time. The Coleman Hawkins Felsted was the great exception, but my sense is that the Brits were perhaps too deferential in the studio and/or not hard-headed enough about choices of personnel. By and large, the Prestige Swingville dates were more successful.

I guess I could try and look it up for you, but these Condon(ites) discographies are a real mess, as there are often multiple versions of the same songs (sometimes also multiple sessions, each with multiple takes of the same songs...), and they were released under various leaders' names...

I have some Hackett, mainly the Quadromania (which is a messy one, if I remember right, not one of the more or less orderly and chronological ones).

"Coast Concert" and "Jazz Ultimate" are on this Collector's Music twofer (which I got) - both were also on the Teagarden Capitol Mosaic (which I sadly missed). The twofer misses some versions of tunes (one of the albums was done in stereo and mono mixes, the Mosaic has all of it).

e61548qpcmi.jpg

> AMG <

The "mood music" by Hackett would then be the albums compiled on the Hackett Mosaic box, I assume? (And also on various Collectables twofers)

Yes (and better than you might think, although I prefer Hackett's more jazz-oriented music.)

I actually toyed with the notion of getting the above Collectables CD, just so I could have those two albums in more convenient form. I eventually, years later, just ripped the songs from the Mosaic and burned them onto one disc, which, in fact, I'm listening to right now.

Yes (and better than you might think, although I prefer Hackett's more jazz-oriented music.)

I actually toyed with the notion of getting the above Collectables CD, just so I could have those two albums in more convenient form. I eventually, years later, just ripped the songs from the Mosaic and burned them onto one disc, which, in fact, I'm listening to right now.

I haven't decided on the Hackett Mosaic yet... might well be I'll get it in the end.