Your audio equipment?

neveronfriday

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bumping this thread in a fit of excitement! :g After auditioning (the last few weeks) Roksan, Primare, Rega --- Mira and Brio --- Arcam and Musical Fidelity X-Ray systems I've finally been to a nearby Naim dealer and had a good listen to their equipment. Wow. I was very keen on the X-Ray, especially through the new Epos M12.2 speakers but with the Naim gear, even though it's the starter range, I was hooked.

Roll on Thursday. They're coming to set it up. I've an Earmax Pro turning up soon too for my Grados! :D

I know there are a few Naim fans here so I'm in good company.

Bumping this thread in a fit of excitement! :g After auditioning (the last few weeks) Roksan, Primare, Rega --- Mira and Brio --- Arcam and Musical Fidelity X-Ray systems I've finally been to a nearby Naim dealer and had a good listen to their equipment. Wow. I was very keen on the X-Ray, especially through the new Epos M12.2 speakers but with the Naim gear, even though it's the starter range, I was hooked.

Roll on Thursday. They're coming to set it up. I've an Earmax Pro turning up soon too for my Grados! :D

What Naim stuff are you getting, if it's not a secret? I had their CD5i player, and found it unsuitable for classic jazz reissues.

Me, I'm withdrawing from near-field listening. I moved my best system out into the living-room dining room and am enjoying the change. There are advantages to both near-field and non near-field listening. . . . Now I definitely feel less as if I'm "in the music" or on stage, and more as if I'm in the audience. I can dig being in the audience. I'm excited to find how wonderfully my speakers can handle either setup.

I'm near-field by necessity. These damn Manhattan living rooms are small!

I was that way for about nine years . . . had a small bedroom as my listening room/archive/library. Was great. . . . I think this is better (room is more than three times the size, speakers really breathe, stuff seemingly happens way behind them out in the front yard!) but do miss the intimacy of the other room some.

What Naim stuff are you getting, if it's not a secret? I had their CD5i player, and found it unsuitable for classic jazz reissues.

I do indeed have the 5i (starter level :rolleyes: ) but I'm not sure what you mean by 'unsuitable'. Does it not read the discs or is there another sonic problem?

Or are you referring to the Classics label?

I do indeed have the 5i (starter level :rolleyes: ) but I'm not sure what you mean by 'unsuitable'. Does it not read the discs or is there another sonic problem?

Tony, it reads absolutely everything, and, I think, its build quality is just excellent. What I meant was about the sound. To my ears, it did great pop music, but old jazz was the weak point. It was impressive at first, but then I realized that I couldn't stand its sound more than an hour, at best. Trumpets, alto and soprano saxes sounded thin and edgy. I got rid of it after a couple of months. Then again, it's just me. Quite possibly, you'll love the sound like many do. If it's brand new, put it on repeat play for 2-3 weeks and see. Good luck.

Back when I was researching equipment, I read a couple reviews where they opined that reissues of old analog recordings sounded bad on NAIM players, and I have to admit that this led me to not making a serious effort to locate a dealer where I could audition one. But, to me, this is like arguing over the best 1er cru Burgundy. Everyone's tastes and ears are a little different.

BTW, that is an interesting aspect to audio - the frequency dependences of our hearing thresholds are all different, so the same piece of equipment *literally* sounds different to all of us; so these discussions are complicated by both taste AND physiology. Certainly something to consider before taking absolutist stances on this stuff (not that I am accusing anyone in this thread of doing so - I'm just a babbling drunk).

Right. I understand that it can be very forward sounding, direct and 'attacking'. However, I don't really like bright or thin either. So I know where you're coming from. Interestingly I took a few discs with me, one of which was a VME of The Steamer; quite a warm master IMO. It sounded amazing to me. I didn't bother taking Jackie Macs RVG of A Fickle Sonance! :P

With the older stuff I would think the forward nature of the equipment highlights the flaws in any recording.

As for hearing different frequencies: I recently completed one of these online tests which plots your curve by a bleep test. Can't remember where I found it. My curve was fairly typical with the average human ear but it was shifted noticeably to the left. i.e at lower frequencies I was able to hear more, at higher frequencies my ability diminished.

I suppose that concurs with my longtime gripe, if you will, about not being able to hear the subtleties and differences between clarinetists. Obviously stylistically I can point things out but tonal nuances always fool me at higher registers.

Tony,

High-range hearing loss is a nearly universal experience as you age. It's pretty normal for your audiogram to have a downward slope to it, even in your 20s. The slope typically gets more pronounced with age. BTW, this is why music sounds better loud. It brings all the frequencies to within one's hearing range.

Tony,

High-range hearing loss is a nearly universal experience as you age. It's pretty normal for your audiogram to have a downward slope to it, even in your 20s. The slope typically gets more pronounced with age. BTW, this is why music sounds better loud. It brings all the frequencies to within one's hearing range.

That'll explain that then!

• 4 months later...

Strange mixture I have, as I replaced single components whenever I had the money (but never too much to spend) to upgrade or one broke down:

Turntable: Thorens TD 160 (here's another one :g) with a Grado Black cartridge (I intend to upgrade with another Grado soon, although this Black sounds better than any other more expensive model I had before. I had the connection cables replaced with thick copper cable many years ago - recommend this as the original Thorens connector cables are thin and not up to par with the quality of the turntable - I have this since the early 1970's.)

CD player: Pioneer PD-S501 - I love those turntables style CD players. Disc rotation is more even, so less electronics to re-calculate reading errors is needed. Connected with Oehlbach cable to the:

AMP: SONY TA-420 - not my first choice but affordable when the old one gave up. I miss a mono switch. Maybe I should use a separate preamp for the turntable as recommended above.

Cassette-Tapedeck: Technics RS-AZ7 - but I rarely use it.

Speakers: Some rare two-way with Styropor bass by Phonag in Stuttgart originally designed for audiological tests. They sound drier than most others, reveal the recording characteristics better than others I could compare with. Connected with thick copper cables, don't know the brand.

I use a CD spray which improves imaging of the CDs in particular.

Headphones: Koss UR-30.

Several changes of equipment since the 2003 post must be duly noted:

Turntable: Thorens TD 160 with Grado Black cartridge

SACD/CD player: Marantz SCD7001ki

AMP: Pioneer A 509-R

Cassette-Tapedeck: Technics RS-AZ7

Tuner: Pioneer TX-1070

Speakers: Focal JMlab Chorus 710

Subwoofer: Elac 112.ESP

Headphones: Koss UR-30

CD Treatment: CD Flux (the results are even more amazing with the new Marantz player!)

Player connection cables by Oehlbach

Edited by mikeweil

The Naim CD players definitely benefit big-time by adding the XPS/XPS-II Power Supply Units, with their whopping big interconnect for all those separate supply circuits and (wanabee aerospace/MIL-SPEC) multipin Brundy connectors. :wub:

Edited by sidewinder

Okay, I've made my last addition to the system for a while now (I hope!): the CSP2 preamp from Decware.

Mine doesn't exactly look like this pictured, as it is custom built in the previous black chassis to match all my other Decware components. It's amazing the transformation that this preamp has made of my system. I've had it over five weeks now, and it's added an ease and a weight to the sound I didn't think possible. It's breathed a bit of dynamicism to the sound that takes one a few steps closer to a real sound, and the bass is finally right in my system, tight, deep and anchoring the presentation. No frequency range stands out, all seems natural and as it should be. I even enjoy McMasters more.

Not only that, but I can now run my quite nice sounding Sony dvd recorder through the system and watch tv thus expanding the use of my system and even my wife is appreciating that. I'm one happy camper. If you're in need of a preamp (or headphone amp) I'd recommend this output transformerless little marvel.

csp2lg.jpg

http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm

Edited by jazzbo

Tony,

That'll explain that then!

And explains also the fact that, since most of audiophiles are middle aged, they still believe at the bs of even older professional reviewers. A dialogue between deafs.

:g

TT: VPI Aries 3 w/ JMW-10.5i tonearm

Cartridge: Shelter 501 Mk. II

CD/SACD: Marantz SA-8001

Pre-amp/phone stage: Modwright SWLP 9.0 Signature

Amp: Audio Research VT-100 Mk. II

Interconnects: Cardas Neutral Reference

Speakers: Paradigm Signature 4

Speaker Cables: Zu Wax bi-wire

Speaker Stands: Solid Steel

Tweaks: JPS Analog & AC+ power cables, Running Springs/Cardas Golden Reference power cables, BDR pits & pucks, VPI 16.5 cleaning machine, NOS tubes

Turntable: Music Hall MMF-7 w/ Goldring Eroica cartridge

Phono Pre: Creek OBH-SE

CD Player: Jolida JD-100

Amp: Eastern Electric M-520 Integrated

Speakers: Decware RL-1.5's

Have been running this setup for about the past 2 years. Am fairly happy with it... Would like to try some other speakers - the Decware speakers don't do all that well with rock music (but sound INCREDIBLE with jazz - which is why I find it so hard to part with them!). Am interested in hearing the Zu Druids, Omega Hemptones and Devore Gibbon Super 8's, specifically. Also have a Squeezebox SB3 which I have yet to set up - will probably send that into Bolder Cable for some mods and convert all my CDs to lossless digital on several hard drives. Would like to upgrade the phono preamp in the near future and, at some point, (probably within the next 3-4 years) upgrade the turntable. The fact that I will have to put down quite a bit of $$$ in order to improve on the sound I'm getting from the Music Hall has kept me from doing that so far... Plus, I can't decide on which table I want to upgrade to. VPI? Teres? Nottingham? Michell? There are soooo many good turntables being made these days...

But, for now - the music's playing and I'm happy... :D

I'm near-field by necessity. These damn Manhattan living rooms are small!

Except in Woody Allen movies from the past 15 years ;)

I live in an appartment as well, with a large living room and good acoustic isolation, but when I listen to classical orchestral music, I prefer headphones, to avoid having to turn down the volume on climaxes.

Chuck will dig this one... :g

As Lon might know, I'm rather fond of my Decware Zen, but it simply wasn't putting out enough juice to really get my speakers singing. I was hoping to purchase a pair of used Klipsch Fortes, but that fell through and I have to make due for the time being. So I broke out an old Marantz 226b (mid-70's) that I picked up at the flea market for twenty bucks, and I'm using that strictly as an amp, feeding it with a Cambridge C500 control amp ('cause I need the remote and I like its internal phono pre). CD player is a Cambridge D300, turntable a Music Hall MMF-5, speakers are Polk RT800s. Aside from a couple pair of semi-silver interconnects that I bought off Ebay, all other wires are cheap and generic.

Anyway, the sound from that old Marantz is heavenly. The added power (and it's only about 40 watts iirc) really improves the sound from the Polks, which always seemed a bit thin when powered by the Zen (which only outputs a watt or two after all). I wouldn't call the Marantz exactly tubey-sounding, but it is fairly mellow and has a great bottom end. Before I settled on it I compared it with an old Kenwood A/V amp I had laying around (which I've since passed on to someone looking to get into vinyl) and it was like night and day... and I'm no audiophile who hears differences in the slightest equipment modifications.

I think I'll save my money and stick with the ol' Marantz for a while. My system has never sounded better.