Blue Note Deletions

liarhydrant

Does anyone here know of a definitive list of the 100 or so Blue Note titles that have recently been deleted? I'm aware of a thread on here listing the ones that were cut at the end of last year, but according to a couple of tiny snippets in recent Jazzwise magazines, 100 more have been culled this year too. It's a travesty that milk monitors and bean-counters are now the final judges of what art stays and what art is canned for all eternity.

I'm also interested if anyone has the heads-up on future RVGs and Connoiseurs (in case I blow handsome sums of money on Japanese imports when if I'd have waited 2 weeks they'd be available in my local HMV).

Thanks in advance, now to check out my birthday present to myself, Tyrone Washington's Natural Essence. I hope it was worth the wait...

Does anyone here know of a definitive list of the 100 or so Blue Note titles that have recently been deleted? I'm aware of a thread on here listing the ones that were cut at the end of last year, but according to a couple of tiny snippets in recent Jazzwise magazines, 100 more have been culled this year too. It's a travesty that milk monitors and bean-counters are now the final judges of what art stays and what art is canned for all eternity.

"For all eternity?" hyperbole much?

And here I was just complaining to a friend the other day how Mingus Ah Um was oop fr a while when I first discovered Mingus back around 1980.

Granted, maybe I meant the hope of a tangible copy complete with real packaging and liner notes. Bluenote will obviously have a stab at downloads. But for a luddite like me I fear the idea of scrolling through a Leonard Feather essay on an mp3 player-sized screen and having only a thumbnail version of Reid Miles' cover art to savour.

PS: Natural Essence is quite a fun session. Washington writes heads with interesting little across-the-beat rhythmic wrinkles, some Silver touches to his ballad, and there's the obvious Sidewinder ringer in there too. The slightly limp, free excursion final track could have been left out though. 1968tastic!

Does anyone here know of a definitive list of the 100 or so Blue Note titles that have recently been deleted?

May not be complete, but it's close:

Deleted Blue Notes

RVGs:

Art Blakey - Like Someone In Love

Sonny Clark- Dial S For Sonny

Joe Henderson - Our Thing

Clifford Jordan & John Gilmore -Blowing In From Chicago

Jackie McLean - Capuchin Swing

Jackie McLean - Right Now!

Jackie McLean - A Fickle Sonance

Jackie McLean - New And Old Gospel

Blue Mitchell - Boss Horn

Blue Mitchell - Down With It

Hank Mobley - Hi Voltage

Hank Mobley - Dippin'

Lee Morgan - Tom Cat

Lee Morgan - The Rumproller

Leo Parker - Let Me Tell You 'Bout It

Bud Powell - Bud! The Amazing Bud Powell-Volume 3

Ike Quebec -Heavy Soul

Horace Silver - In Pursuit Of The 27th Man

Horace Silver - The Stylings Of Silver

Horace Silver - You Gotta Take A Little Love

Jimmy Smith - The Sounds Of Jimmy Smith

Jimmy Smith - At The Organ, Volume 3

Lonnie Smith - Turning Point

Art Taylor - A.T.'s Delight

Cecil Taylor - Conquistador!

Connoisseurs:

Lou Blackburn - Complete Imperial Sessions

Tina Brooks - Back To The Tracks

Tina Brooks - Minor Move

Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game

Donald Byrd - The Transition Sessions (w/Doug Watkins) (2 CDs)

Introducing Kenny Cox & The Contemporary Jazz Quintet

Frank Foster - Manhattan Fever

Grant Green - First Session

Elmo Hope - Trio And Quintet

Freddie Hubbard - Goin' Up

Bobby Hutcherson - Components

Bobby Hutcherson - Now!

Jackie McLean - Jacknife

Jackie McLean - Vertigo

Ike Quebec - Complete 45 Sessions (2 CDs)

Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song

Charlie Rouse - Bossa Nova Bacchanal

Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds

Larry Young - Mother Ship

Big Bands:

Cannonball Adderley - Domination (with Oliver Nelson)

Count Basie - Breakfast Dance And Barbecue

Count Basie - Basie Meets Bond

Count Basie - The Count Basie Story (2 CDs)

Don Ellis - Live At Monterey

Don Ellis – Jazz in 3 & 2/3/4 Time

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis - Consummation

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis – Central Park North

Stan Kenton – At Las Vegas Tropicana

Stan Kenton – Back to Balboa

Stan Kenton – City of Glass

Stan Kenton – Kenton Showcase

Stan Kenton – Standards in Silhouette

Stan Kenton – Jazz Compositions of Dee Barton

Stan Kenton – Viva Kenton!

Jimmy McGriff – The Big Band: Tribute to Basie

Buddy Rich – Buddy and Soul

Vocalists:

Jackie Allen - Tangled

Jon Hendricks - A Good Git Together

Billie Holiday - Billie's Blues

Sheila Jordan - Portrait Of Sheila

Peggy Lee - Basin Street East Presents

Julie London - About The Blues

The Best Of Nellie Lutcher

Bobby McFerrin - Spontaneous Inventions

Sue Raney - All By Myself

Dakota Staton & George Shearing - In The Night

Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Sings Soulfully

Sarah Vaughan & Lester Young - Town Hall Concert 1947

Joe Williams - A Swinging Night At Birdland

Joe Williams And Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra

The Best Of Joe Williams

Latin:

Luarindo Almeida & Bud Shank - Brazilliance-Volume 2

Art Blakey - African Beat

Los Van Van - Dancing Wet

Sabu - Palo Congo

The Jazz Crusaders - Chile Con Soul

Chucho Valdes - Briyumba Palo Congo

Assorted:

Cannonball Adderley - Jazz Workshop Revisited

Cannonball Adderley - Money In The Pocket

Cannonball Adderley - Why Am I Treated So Bad

Chet Baker & Art Pepper - Picture Of Heath

Art Blakey - The Freedom Rider

Art Blakey - The Witch Doctor

Art Blakey - At The Jazz Corner Of The World (2 CDs)

Benny Carter - Sax A La Carter

Lou Donaldson - Everything I Play Is Funky

Tommy Flanagan - Sunset And The Mockingbird

Stan Getz - Complete Roost Recordings (3 CDs)

Benny Green - Testifyin': At The Village Vanguard

Grant Green - Live At The Lighthouse

Grant Green - Standards

Chico Hamilton - Original Ellington Suite (with Eric Dolphy)

Stefon Harris - Black Action Figure

Richard Groove Holmes - Groovin' With Jug (with Gene Ammons)

Bobby Hutcherson - San Francisco

The Jazz Crusaders - At The Lighthouse

The Jazz Crusaders - Live At The Lighthouse '66

The Jazz Crusaders - Lighthouse '68

The Jazz Crusaders - The Festival Album

Lee Konitz - Alone Together (with Brad Mehldau & Charlie Haden)

Joe Lovano - Trio Fascination - Edition One (with Dave Holland & Elvin Jones)

Joe Lovano Nonet - On This Day At The Vanguard

Joe Lovano - Joyous Encounter (with Hank Jones)

Joe Lovano - Quartets Live At The Village Vanguard (2 CDs)

Pat Martino - Live At Yoshi's

Jack McDuff - Down Home Style

Jackie McLean - New Soil

Charles Mingus - Jazz Portraits (Mingus In Wonderland)

Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy

Jason Moran - Black Stars (with Sam Rivers)

Jason Moran - Same Mother

Lee Morgan - Caramba

Lee Morgan - Charisma

Lee Morgan - Standards

Lee Morgan - Live At The Lighthouse (3 CDs)

Lee Konitz & Gerry Mulligan - Konitz Meets Mulligan

Gerry Mulligan - At Storyville (with Bob Brookmeyer)

The Complete Blue Note/Capitol Recordings Of Fats Navarro & Tadd Dameron (2 CDs)

The Complete Blue Note Recordings Of Herbie Nichols (3 CDs)

Charlie Parker - At Storyville

Charlie Parker - The Washington Concerts

John Patton - Let 'Em Roll

John Scofield-Joe Lovano-Dave Holland-Al Foster - Scolohofo Oh!

Jimmy Smith - Standards

The Three Sounds - Live At The It Club

Stanley Turrentine - Up At Minton's (2 CDs)

Edited by Hank

That's the same list that was posted before and elsewhere, I though the thread-starter spoke of yet another (unpublished?) list.

If it's the same list, it's probably taken from the same source as mine---Mosaic/True Blue emailings over the past year. I haven't come across any other lists. I wonder which jazz pubs made mention of further deletions, or if they were referring to titles that were deleted already.

Thanks for putting that list up here; it's a start! There's a couple on there that I'll have to pounce on immediately.

There's a quote from Bruce Lundvall in the recent jazzwise where he confirms the deletion of 100 albums (seemingly in addition to the ones we heard about at the end of last year) from the physical realm, saying they will all carry on in the age of digital downloads. I don't know whether these latest deletions are all Blue Notes, or just from across the EMI family.

very stupid question... going from what's available on sites like spotify or deezer / which i would roughly guess is similar to what's available for download (?) is there any reasonable explanation why earl anderza's album is there but curtis amy's katanga isn't? i mean, they're both oop and both from the same batch of releases...?

you know a copy of "Katanga!" is lying around here, waiting to be shipped, don't you? :)

actually, i think about that almost every day :) just wanted to point out that their policy of putting stuff online looks a bit erratic to me... which let's the future where nothing is available on cd but some of the back catalogue is online look less bright to me than it would otherwise...

Edited by Niko

you know a copy of "Katanga!" is lying around here, waiting to be shipped, don't you? :)

actually, i think about that almost every day :) just wanted to point out that their policy of putting stuff online looks a bit erratic to me... which let's the future where nothing is available on cd but some of the back catalogue is online look less bright to me than it would otherwise...

Yep, that's true.

If they really go online, offering the music lossless and with all the relevant information (discographical data, covers, liners), they should really be able to offer the product in a variety of ways and in ways that satisfy both anal completists (such as yours truly) as well as anal album fetishists... they could sort of offer various bundles and packages (i.e. get all Jimmy Smith, or get the original album of "The Sermon" or get "The Sermon" RVG version or get "The Sermon" old CD version w/compelete sessions... there'd be need for only one file per track, but it should be accessible through various filters or searches...)

That kind of online distribution, I'd certainly enjoy! (Of course the long-term storage issue would still not be solved... and the possibilities to share these files and all that...)

But then, with the history of the majors in recent years, they certainly will f*ck up the online offerings eventually, as well, instead of trying to offer a well thought-out product for once... they'll continue to re-sell "Blue Train" or "Kind of Blue" forever, I guess.

But then, with the history of the majors in recent years, they certainly will f*ck up the online offerings eventually, as well, instead of trying to offer a well thought-out product for once... they'll continue to re-sell "Blue Train" or "Kind of Blue" forever, I guess.

indeed - guess they'll believe they'd overwhelme us with the whole catalogue...

My apologies, liarhydrant, for being a bit bitchy in my earlier post. We kinda went through this a while back with the Fantasy/Concord catalog, which is also in the process of being physically "deleted."

I think we all have to face the fact that CDs are on their way out, so in that way pretty much all jazz catalogs are or will soon be deleted, at least in their physical form. Unfortunate, yes, but no more so than when LPs were deleted from catalogs and replaced with CDs. I'm not saying it's better - I still buy scores of CDs and LPs - but in some ways I think it will make the more obscure albums (even entire labels) more accessible in the long run. I think we need a new term, though, since I think many (if not all) of these titles won't actually be "deleted" just distributed in a different format than what we've been used to.

Why not search for new music to enrich our lives?

Indeed! I still buy some CDs and LPs for the tried-and-true, but I'm getting more pleasure these days from the (relatively inexpensive) discoveries I'm finding at emusic and (especially now) Amiestreet. I've never listened to so many young artists or so much indie-label music in my life!

Edited by RDK