New Mosaic Catalog

By my count nearly 1/3 of their box sets are on back order! That's scary. BTW The Monk/Coltrane Carnegie Hall Lp is described as "limited edition/unlimited copies".

What's that mean?

I imagine they have a limited lease, but can distribute as many copies as they like until that lease expires.

greg mo

Well, this may end up in its own thread, but really WTF!?!

We've all become accustomed to bad news for the past five years, both in the United States and globally and in the arts as well as the world economy. But what we just discovered is a first in bad news for Mosaic Records.

Each of our sets is manufactured by the label that owns and licenses to us the masters contained in the set. One of our major licensors changed pressing plants for the tens of thousands of titles it manufactures. Unfortunately a number of Mosaic titles (mostly Selects) were deleted and all of the components and masters were destroyed in process.

Mosaic Records cannot afford to remaster and remanufacture components for the remaining run of these titles and due to contractual issues there is no relief from the responsible parties. We have no choice but to prematurely retire these titles. For some, we still have some inventory. But for others, we are forced to tell you without warning that we are out of stock and these titles will never be available again.

As it happens, I do have nearly all these Selects, and certainly all the ones that interested me, but this on top of the whole back-order fiasco makes me really wonder how much longer Mosaic can go on.

Just in case this went under in the other thread yesterday and the day before: I asked them about the backordered sets and it was confirmed that they would indeed be back by the end of the year, including the Crusaders, the Mulligan Single, the Stitt etc (I posted a list there, of the sets I explicitly asked about - but I guess in general it seems all the backordered items should be back by the end of the year).

Just in case this went under in the other thread yesterday and the day before: I asked them about the backordered sets and it was confirmed that they would indeed be back by the end of the year, including the Crusaders, the Mulligan Single, the Stitt etc (I posted a list there, of the sets I explicitly asked about - but I guess in general it seems all the backordered items should be back by the end of the year).

This is good news, especially given that their sets, especially the large ones, make excellent holiday gifts. I hope the scheduled return of these items does not slip past the holidays.