Mosaic for Christmas?

Leeway

Your powers of persuasion are shockingly inadequate. I suggest that you revisit the final episode of The Sopranos (year four) with the attorney who wouldn't refund the $200k home deposit ...and take a clue.

I'll have to look that up. I'm certain that if I ever tried any Tony Soprano stuff with ANYBODY I would regret it bigtime. ;)

It's funny you should mention this though. There have been times (maybe when I was half asleep) when I've wondered what Tony would think of Mosaic. He'd probably find some way to make a dishonest dollar off those sets, and it would be both revolting and funny.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JazzMoose, have you and I NOTHING in common???

Well...if you're really from Georgia, there's that! :lol:

Just to show how badly Mosaic has gotten to me, I asked the wife a while back if she was into the Four Freshman, so I'd have an excuse to get it and have the box on my shelf, but alas, she said no...

Eldridge. From me, to me.

Same here, not Eldridge, but probably the Atlantic set.

I stopped getting the new ones right after their release. Rather I'm trying to pick up those that go OOP before they go...

How do all you folks get all them people give you Mosaics?

If someone knows anybody wanting to fix me up with another Mosaic, that would sure be fine with me...

And hell, it would be too late to order now, anyway. I don't go the airmail way. I once had an order from Trueblue & Mosaic which they "forgot" to send out, and after my inquiries, they sent it, maybe two months after I did order (& pay!), they sent it via airmail, without charging me additionally. I first thought, now that's a nice gesture, but when I opened the package, all CD boxes were broken, ... (not the Mosaics, at least... but I have had some Mosaics delivered with slightly damaged boxes, too.

So this is why I go the sloooooow way (which takes some 6 to 12 weeks...)

ubu

Christmas came early this year! I am in the midst of a deal with a fellow-Mosaic nut that includes the Buck Clayton, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, Art Blakey, Blue Mitchell and the live Basie sets-ALL ON PRISTINE VINYL!!! Of course this is getting a bit expensive and is going to take a while, but how's that for a Xmas gift (from myself)? :excited:

P.S. Dear Santa, I need the Eldridge too! :rolleyes:

Rather I'm trying to pick up those that go OOP before they go...

I'm adopting this strategy too, which means Blue Mitchell and Hank Mobley are on the Christmas list. I asked my wife to pick one between them, so there'll be at least a little bit of a surprise element.

I'll definitely be spending some yuletide cash on Mosaics. In my crosshairs are:

For "regular" Mosaics:

The Stuff Smith and Anita O'Day boxes (I'm going roughly chronologically from oldest to newest releases, and those are up next, plus I've been on a major O'Day jag ever since seeing her amazing performance of "Sweet Georgia Brown" in the JAZZ ON A SUMMER'S DAY Newport documentary).

For Selects: Chambers, Patton, Amy, and Pearson are all fair game - probably will boil down to one or two and again probably will go with the "oldest" (Chambers and Patton)

Make sure you pick up the Patton, DrJ. I've been listening to it quite a bit over the last few days and it's a winner. Just a shame that they couldn't put out a regular Mosaic set with all of Big John's albums in one set but, heck, shouldn't grumble. This one is so good that it's taken up semi-permanent occupancy of the CD drive and I've hardly been able to get beyond the first disk of the Ellington Reprise...

:rsmile:

Dear Santa (or mom, dad, mother-in-law, father-in-law, wife and children)-

I have been a relatively good boy this year. Please bring me the Horace Parlan, Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams, and/or Lou Donaldson Mosaic Sets. And if you are looking for something to fill the stocking, the John Patton, Grachan Moncur, and/or Bennie Green Mosaic Select sets seem like they'd be a good fit.

Don't forget to help yourself to some milk and cookies on the way out (and if you look in the cabinet above the stove, you just may find something to keep you warm from my Uncle Jack if you know what I mean)

Love Always,

Jeff

ps - if you have a few too many of the recent crop of JRVG's, I'd be glad to take them off your hands

I just got a call from my dearest mother who said she and my father would like to get me some discs for Christmas and since she has no idea what a Mosaic is that I should order a couple sets for myself as a gift from them!!

Paul Chambers and Duke Pearson will look great under my tree!!

I can't imagine it being Christmas without wanting a Mosaic set.

That's usually the case......although I'm now annoyed at Mosaic for the 2nd defective record that has now turned up in my Miles 'Blackhawk' set, so I'm turning my back on them this festive season and asking Santa instead for a few of those 200 gram BN Monos over at Classic Records (Jutta Hipp & Zoot, J.R. Monterose, Morgan 'Indeed'??).