6-year-old Colorado boy floats away in balloon

BeBop

Oddly enough, this family was on "Wifeswap" last year or something. A rerun of one of the episodes was on last night, which I happened to stumble on, never having heard of the show before.

They were sort of wild and weird - the father seemed to be undisciplined, as did the kids. The wife that briefly moved in with them had a challenge trying to get the them to actually help around the house with basic chores and things.

Hope the missing kid turns up ok - I think some reports suggest he may not have actually gone up in it. Hope that's the case.

Boy said to have floated off in balloon found safe

By P. SOLOMON BANDA AND IVAN MORENO

ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITERS

A 6-year-old Colorado boy feared to have floated off in a helium balloon has been found safe at his home, hiding in a cardboard box in the garage attic. Sheriff Jim Alderman turned to reporters during a news conference and held thumbs up and said, "He's at the house." Alderden said an investigator on the scene saw the boy and he was fine.

He said the boy apparently has been in the attic the whole time.

The boy's brother had said he saw 6-year-old Falcon Heene get in the balloon before it took off. The flight last two hours and spanned 50 miles and set off a frantic search.

Time for some parents to go to jail.

Guy

Why?

But what does bug me is that, while the balloon flight was being covered by the press, the parents were reported to be home praying and not watching the TV coverage because it was too traumatic. But if they did watch, they could have informed everyone right away that the part of the balloon that would have held the boy wasn't attached to the balloon in the first place. Obviously it may have meant that the boy had already fallen out and possibly been killed, but it would have prevented a possible (and potentially dangerous) rescue attempt should it have gotten to that point.

Guy

I don't know about all that. But they certainly should have to pay for all the search and rescue and have a social worker check in with them for a while to make sure they are being responsible with regards to their childrens safety and welfare.

Guy

I don't know about all that. But they certainly should have to pay for all the search and rescue and have a social worker check in with them for a while to make sure they are being responsible with regards to their childrens safety and welfare.

:tup

Surely I can't be the only one cynical enough to think that a couple who appeared on Wife Swap probably aren't above pulling a stunt to dominate an entire day's news coverage...

I would say your cynicism is right on the mark in the light of this:

In a later interview with CNN's "Larry King Live," Falcon said he heard his parents call for him from the garage.

When asked by his father on-air why he didn't respond, the boy replied, "You guys said we did this for the show."

When the father was pressed by Wolf Blitzer, who was filling in for King, to explain what his son meant, he became uncomfortable, finally saying he was "appalled" by the questions, and then adding that Falcon was likely referring to all the media coverage.