2009-2010 Hot Stove Thread

BFrank

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worked great the season before last; if they didn't have 442 million dollars to spend on three players, it would have worked out last year too.

I don't want to get New and Improved Dan worked up too early in the season, but even with the signing of Texiera, Sabbathia and Burnett, the Yankees overall payroll was $16.5 million less in 2009 than it was in 2008. At this point, finally putting a lid on their outrageous and unconscionable spending habits of the past would seem to be working out quite well, wouldn't you say?

Worked great the season before last; if they didn't have 442 million dollars to spend on three players, it would have worked out last year too.

I don't want to get New and Improved Dan worked up too early in the season, but even with the signing of Texiera, Sabbathia and Burnett, the Yankees overall payroll was $16.5 million less in 2009 than it was in 2008. At this point, finally putting a lid on their outrageous and unconscionable spending habits of the past would seem to be working out quite well, wouldn't you say?

Plus the Red Sox new starter which is 3rd in their rotation makes 19 mil a year.

Ah, but what if I have found peaceful contentment in all things baseball (and board) related? Hate to disappoint but I don't plan on any cursing, creative or otherwise. Feel free to set an over/under of about 9 PM Sunday night, or the first gopher ball Beckett gives up, but that's my approach to the nation's pastime, as far as the board is concerned.

Well I wish you well in having a calmer response to the season and won't bother betting against you. :) But the beauty with a name like Boof is you can react and still keep it PG rated. :lol:

Edited by Quincy

We're going down that road are we? In terms of 2009 team salaries, please note that the Yankees spent 52 Million dollars more than the next team, the New York Mets. 79 Million dollars more than the Red Sox. 88 Million dollars more than their World Series opponent. Case closed, the Yankees flat-out bought and paid for their championship.

PS: Link to 2008 and 2009 team salaries.

Edited by Matthew

We're going down that road are we? In terms of 2009 team salaries, please note that the Yankees spent 52 Million dollars more than the next team, the New York Mets. 79 Million dollars more than the Red Sox. 88 Million dollars more than their World Series opponent. Case closed, the Yankees flat-out bought and paid for their championship.

PS: Link to 2008 and 2009 team salaries.

So, why didn't the Yankees win in 2008 then, with an even higher payroll??? Why didn't the mets get to the playoffs in 2009(Oh sure, bring up the injuries! ) How about the Cubs with the 3rd highest payroll??? Tigers had the 5th highest payroll. Didn't get into the playoffs.

Sure, they had the money to get those players, and those players sure helped them get into and win the playoffs. Red Sox could have gotten Tex, which likely would have meant the Yankees would not have won the W.S., but they didn't.

How much are the Dodgers paying Manny this year???? Could the Pirates, Marlins, Royals, or Padres afford him??? Well, yeah, but they would rather make 10's of Millions of dollars from other teams and lose games, than be competitive.

Man, why do you make me defend the hated Yankees and Red Sox? :rmad:

Its been pointed out too many times:

The Yankees, and only the Yankees, have the ability to sign the best available pitcher (7 years/161 million), second best available pitcher (5 years/82.5 million) and best available everyday player (8 years/180 million).

422.5 million dollars committed to three players. More than two full years of a grossly bloated Yankee payroll, to three people. There are more than a few other teams that could compete for any one of those players. No high revenue team could even contemplate signing two of the three.

And that's not even considering the fact that only a year earlier, they also signed the largest contract of all time - when they had literally no competition for the player.

The Yankees signed all three players - and won 103 games and took the World Series. And Davey, Cott's Contracts tells us that the Yankee's 2009 payroll was but 7.5 million less than 2008.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/new-york-yankees_111398168678860040.html

God help us all if they realize that Brett Gardner is a AAAA player and Randy Wynn is no great shakes and they really should have just paid Damon. God only knows where the payroll would go in 2011.

Barry Zito got lit up by the A's last night.

How many more years does he have left on his contract...?

The nightmarish gift that just keeps on giving. Ugh.

Hey Goodie, you have to admit Zito was very good the send half of the season last year, after the All-Star game, he went 5-4, with a 2.83 ERA. I'd take that any day of the week for a number three starter. If he's even close this year, that's going to be a killer top three: Lincecum, Cain, and Zito. I think the Giants can go a long way in a weak National League.

MLB.COM is giving away free samples today and tomorrow of their online broadcasts. The Cards are playing the Twins at their new ballpark Target Field. It's been a long time since I've seen the Twins play outside at home. Not a bad looking ballpark, at first glance at least.

MLB.COM is giving away free samples today and tomorrow of their online broadcasts. The Cards are playing the Twins at their new ballpark Target Field. It's been a long time since I've seen the Twins play outside at home. Not a bad looking ballpark, at first glance at least.

I guess because it's been such a long time, everyone has forgotten how depressing those April & late September games actually were when the Twins played outdoors. Can you imagine what it's going to be like in the Twins make the playoffs? A Colorado vs. Minnesota World Series -- Burrrrrrrrrrrr!

rockies_cold_%282%29.jpg

Barry Zito got lit up by the A's last night.

How many more years does he have left on his contract...?

The nightmarish gift that just keeps on giving. Ugh.

Hey Goodie, you have to admit Zito was very good the send half of the season last year, after the All-Star game, he went 5-4, with a 2.83 ERA. I'd take that any day of the week for a number three starter. If he's even close this year, that's going to be a killer top three: Lincecum, Cain, and Zito. I think the Giants can go a long way in a weak National League.

I would too if the season was only 80 games long.

In short: Zito sucks.

Rays will finish spring training with best record.

Meaningless, I know, but maybe they can hang in there and make a run at a playoff spot this year. Having Rafael Soriano as the closer should help, but they'll be without J.P. Howell until sometime in May, and who knows what his arm will be like whenever he does get back.

Should be fun to watch 'em again this year.

Without delving into the box scores, I have no idea the significance of having best spring record would be (there's a Globe writer harping about it too). For road games, between the number of starters brought along and how long the starters play, about 1/4 of the playing time might be filled with major league regulars.

IMHO, a great spring record is more indicative of an organization that has great talent, top-to-bottom, because the scrubs get an awful lot of game time, and not necessarily against major leaguers. Which is exactly what we knew going into 2010, as the Rays were regarded as one of the top three teams in the best division in the majors, and also as the team with the best collection of prospects.

Soriano should be very helpful. But they need better results from DH, a CF who cashes in on his abundant skills, and I think their top two starters both had significant drop-offs from their pennant-winning season.

Re: Rays. I think the Rays would run away with any other division in Baseball except the NL East. The Rays might be the funniest team to watch this year but I look at the rotations and line ups of the Red Sox and Yankees and I see no holes there.

Re: Zito. He was great second half of last year, most of his losses would have been no decisions or wins on a team with any type of hitting. But its hard to separate his numbers compared to his contract. Having good numbers for a 3rd starter isn't good enough. I think Zito will have a good year, if Sanchez has any constancy as the fourth starter look out.

Re: Mariners and the AL West. Without Lee there isn't much to get excited about outside of King Felix in the rotation, the bullpen and Bradley don't impress either. My A's look to have the worst line up in all of MLB but I really like the rotation and the love the Bullpen. Good team speed and defense, they might be better than I expect.

Edited by WorldB3

AL Central is lousy. Kind of fun when those small market teams outclassed the East a few years ago (...perhaps only in my parallel universe).

Indians seriously looking at 100 losses. Columnist (Terry Pluto) asserts they will score a ton of runs with Grady Sizemore and Travis Hafner healthy (let's see how long that lasts), budding allstars Shin-Soo Choo and Asdrubal Cabrera, and young phenom Michael Brantley. Matt LaPorta (main element of CC trade) is hurt, and for some stupid reason Russell Branyan is back in the fold (makes zero sense). Rotation of Jake Westbrook (back from serious surgery), Fausto Carmona (they think he's relearned how to throw strikes, I'm not yet convinced), Justin Masterson (not convinced he's a ML starter), Mitch Talbot (?), and David Huff (?). Kerry Wood is hurt now, maybe Chris Perez (not Rafael) gets a few shots at saves early in the season (if any such opportunities arise). Chance to see some kids develop, and how Manny Acta performs. Probably no need to hang on every individual boxscore.

Spring records mean absolutely nothing. Back in the dark ages of my youth, Tribe often had a good spring record. If anything, suggested they were trying too hard to win some games instead of evaluate (a lack of) talent.

At what time does this hot stove get shut down? Looks like it will be 75-80F in Northern Virginia this weekend. Good luck to everyone's teams. Hope injuries and bad umping don't play too much of a role this season.

[And for folks in Cleveland, now back to your previously scheduled basketball season.]

I guess because it's been such a long time, everyone has forgotten how depressing those April & late September games actually were when the Twins played outdoors. Can you imagine what it's going to be like in the Twins make the playoffs? A Colorado vs. Minnesota World Series -- Burrrrrrrrrrrr!

For purposes of calling attention to the idiocy of baseball's 162 game regular season schedule, I'd love nothing more than a Colorado Minnesota World Series. Maybe trying to play games inbetween snow storms and in 20 degree weather would finally make people realize that changes are in order. In my perfect world, MLB would return to a 154 game format and further shorten the season by scheduling a half a dozen double headers for each team. Baseball needs to be played in warm weather. If you want to denigrate the quality of the product and make fans miserable in the process, keep things the way they are. Just another brick in the do nothing wall of Bud Selig.

In short: Zito sucks.

And this from someone who defends Aaron Rowand...;)

Yeah, you're right.

He isn't much of a pitcher either. ^_^

Re: Zito. He was great second half of last year, most of his losses would have been no decisions or wins on a team with any type of hitting. But its hard to separate his numbers compared to his contract. Having good numbers for a 3rd starter isn't good enough. I think Zito will have a good year, if Sanchez has any constancy as the fourth starter look out.

I'd agree if Lincecum and Cain threw sub-.500 ball, too. They had little hitting support also, but still managed to win ballgames.

Zito tanks right after the Star-Spangled Banner. At home, no hitters bat until he sits in the 1st inning. By then the Giants are down 2 or 3 runs. It's like he can't wait to lose.

But I agree with you about Sanchez. When he's on, he's unhittable. Joe Martinez is another good prospect. Madison Bumgarner, too. A little seasoning in the minors and who knows...they might really blossom.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I'd agree if Lincecum and Cain threw sub-.500 ball, too. They had little hitting support also, but still managed to win ballgames.

Run support can be found at baseball-reference by clicking "more stats" next to the pitcher's name.

Run support per game started:

Lincecum 4.5

Cain 4.3

Sanchez 3.6

Zito 3.5

The Giants scored 1 more run per 9 innings for Lincecum compared to Zito, and almost that much for Cain. While Lincecum & Cain are both better pitchers, it's easier to win when the team scores one more run for you per start.

Have you read the new biography of Mays that came out? Is it any good? I saw it at B&N today.

I picked it up the other day when I was at Costco. Pretty reasonable price, like $18.00. I haven't read it yet, but it's gotten very good reviews. The fact that it's an authorized biography and that Mays made himself available to the author should make it a pretty good read.

Have you read the new biography of Mays that came out? Is it any good? I saw it at B&N today.

I picked it up the other day when I was at Costco. Pretty reasonable price, like $18.00. I haven't read it yet, but it's gotten very good reviews. The fact that it's an authorized biography and that Mays made himself available to the author should make it a pretty good read.

Thanks for the Costco alert, I'll have to get my parents to pick up a copy for me (might even pay them back ;) ).

Run support can be found at baseball-reference by clicking "more stats" next to the pitcher's name.

Run support per game started:

Lincecum 4.5

Cain 4.3

Sanchez 3.6

Zito 3.5

The Giants scored 1 more run per 9 innings for Lincecum compared to Zito, and almost that much for Cain. While Lincecum & Cain are both better pitchers, it's easier to win when the team scores one more run for you per start.

Look at the game by game summary, Matt.

Those statistics you quote are an average of the year long season. They do not reflect the real-time game summary of everyday pitching.

How else do we explain the superior W-L record verses Zito's pathetic spew? The batters hate him?

Please.

Zito has guaranteed money, Matt...what motivation does he have to succeed? He's an ex-A's guy with a big money contract and like he could give a shit about winning games for the Giants.

Zito just plain sucks.

And he'll blow 20 or more games again this year. TBH, he needs to apologize to us Giants fans and donate his entire salary for the next three years.

Zito is a tragedy on two legs. A greedy bastard hell bent for a paycheck. Fuck the Giants.

What a worthless piece of pitching shit.

Edited by GoodSpeak