2009-2010 Hot Stove Thread

BFrank

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the Yanks try returning Phil Hughes or Joba Chamberlain to the starting rotation next year? And what will they do if Pettitte elects to retire? Then there's the Damon/Matsui conundrum, mentioned above...

Sorry, those are rather Yankee-centric. Here's a more general one (though it could end up applying to the Yankees as well, esp. if Pettitte doesn't come back)--what pitchers of note besides John Lackey will potentially be on the free-agent market?

Rays dealt Aki Iwamura to the Pirates on Tuesday for young reliever Jesse Chavez. They say the kid's got a lot of upside. Rays had some depth at 2B and their pen is definitely a weak area, so probably a good move. I'm guessing they cleared some salary room with the move as well.

The White Sox traded for Mark Teahen, which may help them quite a bit. I'd also look to Mark Bannister to be dealt by the Royals.

I thought it was Brian Bannister. Pretty good starter, might actually do well on a talented team.

it is Brian, I'm wiped out from staying up late to watch the game last night.

See where Mannyworld re-upped for another year for a cool $20,000,000.... like anyone else was going to pay that kind of ca$h. <_< Ken Griffey is about to make up his mind whether he wants to come back with the Mariners or not. It would be great if he came back, but I think the smart decision is to call it a career, what for the Hall of Fame call up, and just enjoy being one of the greatest players ever; without a doubt, the Kingdom Griffey was the greatest player I ever saw, even better than Bonds.

Yeah, Gigantes have been already been busy this off-season.

Just bring us some bonafide hitters, Sabean....that's all this long suffering Giants fan is asking for this Christmas.

Please?

Legalize It

Indians sign Peter Tosh Jr

:g

Yer killin' me, SS1.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Seattle just announced the signing of Ken Griffey, Jr. for 2010.

Also, good news for Dan if he's still lurking or for any other Red Sox fan. Jason Veritek, a.k.a. the most useless catcher on the planet, just notified the Sox that he's exercising his $3 million player option for the upcoming season. He hit all of .209 last year and threw out just 10 of 118 baserunners. No wonder Theo Epstein says they're expecting him to have a good year in 2010.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Griffey was a major presence for Seattle, both on and off the field. Stats didn't look that great, but he got some very key hits in games, and his plain having fun with the Mariners made the clubhouse go from toxic in 2008, to being great in 2009. I would have preferred that he retire, but I'm not complaining about having him there for one more year.

In Seattle, Junior walks on water. He is almost single handedly responsible for the very existence of Safeco Field. I think the M's could keep him on their active roster until he was eligible for Medicare and the fans up there would be fine with it.

Up over and out.

We Giants fans once thought that way about Barry Bonds, too.....but we got over it.