2009-2010 Hot Stove Thread

BFrank

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't make this shit up: the Mets were negotiating with Benji Molina. The Mets had offered one year at 5.5 million with an option for a second. Molina wanted a third year. As is their nickel and dime style, the Mets kept dicking around, trying to get him on the cheap. So what does Molina do: he gets pissed off and re-signs with the Giants for one year at $4.5 million.

I mean when does this nonsense ever end. The asshole Wilpons have been running this team for almost 30 years and what do they have to show for it: one title and one other WS appearance. Just amazing. In all fairness, the Paysons who owned the team from 1962-1979 or thereabout only had one title as well.

You can't make this shit up: the Mets were negotiating with Benji Molina. The Mets had offered one year at 5.5 million with an option for a second. Molina wanted a third year. As is their nickel and dime style, the Mets kept dicking around, trying to get him on the cheap. So what does Molina do: he gets pissed off and re-signs with the Giants for one year at $4.5 million.

I'm OK with that :g

The bad news is Lincecum is holding out for crazy money: $13.5 million bucks. Who does he think he is, a two time Cy Young winner or something?

Sheesh.

Edited by GoodSpeak

The Yankees have just announced the signing of Randy Winn to a one year deal. I think that's a good insurance move. He's had reasonable numbers for the last few seasons. On the downside, any chances of bringing back Johnny Damon seem to have disappeared entirely.

Yeah, Damon is toast. No way the Yankees can have Winn, Swisher, and Damon. If I'm a Yankee fan, I'm not too thrilled with my outfield right now. Gardner/Winn in left, Granderson in center, and Swisher in right? *Yawn*

The Yankees have just announced the signing of Randy Winn to a one year deal. I think that's a good insurance move. He's had reasonable numbers for the last few seasons. On the downside, any chances of bringing back Johnny Damon seem to have disappeared entirely.

All glove, no bat.

All glove, no bat.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. In his five most recent years with the Giants he hit .290 with 51 home runs, 262 RBI's and 73 stolen bases. I'd say mostly glove, some bat.

All glove, no bat.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. In his five most recent years with the Giants he hit .290 with 51 home runs, 262 RBI's and 73 stolen bases. I'd say mostly glove, some bat.

Not knowing much about Winn, my initial reaction is to say I would've much rather retained Damon. I guess Hal Steinbrenner was serious about wanting to spend only $2 million more...but I think the Yanks will miss Damon in more ways than one. Very sorry to see him go.

Based on their relative lack of activity, it's apparent that the Madoff scandal must have hit the Mets ownership hard. What they've done this year is a far cry compared to the winter of 2005 when they developed a good team. The signing of Bey was just a sop to the fans/media to show they were doing something. That contract is heavily backloaded and if finances get desperate I'm sure they can trade him.

If all this is true, they should just sell the team to someone who will run it properly.

According to the NY Times, Damon talked on Monday with Hal Steinbrenner and evidently was told that NY was serious about spending only $2 million more. Ridiculous IMO to hold the budget at an arbitrary number...while I certainly blame Boras and Damon for overvaluing Johnny's worth on the current market and rejecting the 2-yr/$14 million deal, I also think it's foolish of Steinbrenner to suddenly get fiscal religion in this situation and not extend, say, a 1-yr/$6 million with some incentives, or some such, to Damon. Frankly, at this point I'm not sure this team is as good as the team we fielded last year. Some of the key players are a year older, we've lost our #2 and #5 hitters (Damon and Matsui, who each IMO brought more than just their talents to the team), and we don't seem to have much of a bench. Still an excellent team, but it'll be interesting to see if it can gell the way last year's team did.

EDIT: New York Post says one top Yankee official told Damon that they could probably persuade Hal Steinbrenner to accept a 1-yr/$6 million with $3 million deferred deal, but Damon rejected it. If true, bad move on Damon's part IMO (although the article states other Yankee officials don't think Steinbrenner would've gone for such a deal either, ultimately). So what if Damon manages to get $7 million with Oakland (unlikely IMO)? The Yankees will almost certainly make the playoffs again and possibly the World Series, even if Boston and Seattle are going to be tough competition this year. Not so sure about the A's--it's sure not Boston or NY (where Damon played for the last 8 years) and it's a park where his offensive stats will almost certainly drop, compared to the new Yankee Stadium.

I agree w/the Post article--bad outcome for both parties, though I think the Yanks will get on better without Damon than Damon will without them.

Edited by ghost of miles

According to the NY Times, Damon talked on Monday with Hal Steinbrenner and evidently was told that NY was serious about spending only $2 million more. Ridiculous IMO to hold the budget at an arbitrary number...while I certainly blame Boras and Damon for overvaluing Johnny's worth on the current market and rejecting the 2-yr/$14 million deal, I also think it's foolish of Steinbrenner to suddenly get fiscal religion in this situation and not extend, say, a 1-yr/$6 million with some incentives, or some such, to Damon. Frankly, at this point I'm not sure this team is as good as the team we fielded last year. Some of the key players are a year older, we've lost our #2 and #5 hitters (Damon and Matsui, who each IMO brought more than just their talents to the team), and we don't seem to have much of a bench. Still an excellent team, but it'll be interesting to see if it can gell the way last year's team did.

EDIT: New York Post says one top Yankee official told Damon that they could probably persuade Hal Steinbrenner to accept a 1-yr/$6 million with $3 million deferred deal, but Damon rejected it. If true, bad move on Damon's part IMO (although the article states other Yankee officials don't think Steinbrenner would've gone for such a deal either, ultimately). So what if Damon manages to get $7 million with Oakland (unlikely IMO)? The Yankees will almost certainly make the playoffs again and possibly the World Series, even if Boston and Seattle are going to be tough competition this year. Not so sure about the A's--it's sure not Boston or NY (where Damon played for the last 8 years) and it's a park where his offensive stats will almost certainly drop, compared to the new Yankee Stadium.

I agree w/the Post article--bad outcome for both parties, though I think the Yanks will get on better without Damon than Damon will without them.

First of all -- I couldn't happen to a nicer player and team! I love how the Yankees all of a sudden are Mr. Responsible when it comes to spending money. The Yankees 2009 payroll was 208,097,414, and 2010 is looking like 207,000,000. So, the Yankees are telling us they can't make the payroll 214 million? Bullstuff! Coming off a World Championship, the money has to be poring in at this point, and attendance most likely will increase, because they didn't sell out the New Yankee Stadium all that much. Call me crazy, but I still think on Opening Day Damon will be trotting out of the Yankee dugout, they need each too much at this point. They can easily dump Winn with no problems.

Well, anyway, this Yankee hater is again saying that they might not even make the playoffs this year (please, please, please!). They are getting old, their outfield looks weak, and I don't think their pitching is all the great either. I dream of a Yankee collapse this year :crazy:

But how do you really feel, Matthew? ^_^ I don't think there's any chance that we'll be seeing Damon in pinstripes come Opening Day. What I wonder is if they'll end up trading for him in the middle of the summer if, say, Nick Johnson ends up on the DL (all too likely) or if anything happens to Swisher, Granderson, Gardner or Winn.

I just hate to see NY let two clutch, proven players like Damon and Matsui walk away. And reportedly other Yanks like Tex and A-Rod really wanted to see Johnny come back as well. He was another player who brought something special to the team and clubhouse, something that IMO goes beyond his good offensive stats.

I think NY's staff has a good shot at actually being better this year than last...but much depends on how Vasquez does and whether or not Hughes or Joba can step up and become a reliable fifth starter. Pettitte will probably decline a bit in what I'm sure will be his last season, and Burnett is still Burnett...but overall I think they'll be somewhat improved over 2009, barring injuries. Boston's put together a helluva staff and the NY-Bosox series this year will be even hotter than the standard barnburners of the past. Not to mention the killer duo you've got out there in Seattle, which will be hell to face in a best-of-7 series. Say, is it Opening Day yet? :excited:

Edited by ghost of miles

I was sorry to see Damon go, but it appears if he wants to continue playing, he'll have to settle, as Bobby Abreu did last season, and go on from there. Abreu had a good season and came out of it with a two year deal.

And hey, when you've made as much as some of these guys have, it's probably just like Monopoly money anyway. :P

Edited by paul secor

Scott Boras really screwed Damon on this one- what I recall is Boras saying that Damon shouldn't have to take a pay cut from the $13mil/yr he had with the Yanks and he wanted 3/4 years. Supposedly he told the Yanks not to even bother making an offer if it wasn't in line with that. It looks like Damon will now wind up playing for a non-contender for less money than what the Yanks eventually offered to him(2 yrs/14mil), all because Boras horribly misread the market and the Yanks. I'm sorry to see him go, but he wanted more than what the Yanks wanted to pay, so as Vajerzy said, supply and demand.

All glove, no bat.

That would be the average, Dave.

Take a look at his year by year stats. Last year he could barely hit his hat size. He was Mr. Rally Killer.

.262 is nothing to shout about. Only two years above .300 with the Giants. Sure he got on base on occasion, but produced few runs; 65 last year with 51 RBIs in only 149 games.

And he's 35.

Good luck with that.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Looks like Griffey is getting ready for a good season. Think it will be his last, and he wants to go out having a good year. I see .275 25 hrs 80 rbi in 2010. I would really like to see him go out healthy, happy, with a great season on a good team. The full story.

Ken Griffey Jr. is "ripped" and ready to go for spring training.

Baseball's active home run leader had his second arthroscopic knee surgery in 12 months in October, to remove a bone spur. And Seattle Mariners trainer Rick Griffin says Griffey is "better now than he was at any time last year."Griffin spent a few days with Griffey at his home in Florida this winter. The trainer said Thursday the slugger who turned 40 on Nov. 21 has lost about 7 pounds.

Griffey's even bragging about his new physique.

"He told our general manager that he's going to be ripped. We'll see," Griffin said, smiling three weeks before the Mariners begin spring training.

All glove, no bat.

That would be the average, Dave.

Take a look at his year by year stats. Last year he could barely hit his hat size. He was Mr. Rally Killer.

.262 is nothing to shout about. Only two years above .300 with the Giants. Sure he got on base on occasion, but produced few runs; 65 last year with 51 RBIs in only 149 games.

And he's 35.

Good luck with that.

He'll probably be batting 9th, so I think we can live with it. I'd rather have Damon, but given all of the offense that NY already has, acquiring Winn is not an utter disaster or anything.