Verve Jazz Club

Teasing the Korean

Yes, the Jazz Club-MPS CD of the Jankowski Singers 'For Nightpeople Only' offers many tasty vocal delights.

It preceeded the first MPS recording by The Singers Unlimited and is much more pop oriented.

(Also, it wasn't given the Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer engineering treatment.)

Some further clarification on the Jazz Club CDs:

The Jazz Club series from Universal (Germany) is not exactly new -- I got my copy of 'Thriller Jazz' from the Dusty Bards in November, 2006.

And the series not dedicated to re-issuing the U.S. Verve catalog. Other releases are identified 'Jazz Club-MPS', 'Jazz Club-Emarcy', and older German releases as 'Jazz Club-Boutique'.

While making available a trove of mostly 60's and 70's recordings at an attractive price ($8.99 from the Bards), don't expect audiophile caliber sound. Most Jazz Club CDs reflect the current insane remastering habit of maximizing the dynamic range and EQ compression. (Quincy Jones' 'Summer in the City' is barely tolerable.)

"With its modern design and popular choice of repertoire, the JAZZ CLUB is not only opened for Jazz fans, but for everyone that loves good music....."

.....Or anyone wanting to own a CD that looks like it came out of a vending machine at Starbucks .

Most Jazz Club CDs reflect the current insane remastering habit of maximizing the dynamic range and EQ compression.

Actually , the loudness problem of recent CDs is a product of minimizing , not maximizing dynamic range . Is it just your subjective impression that JAZZ CLUB CDs are even more compressed than other jazz CDs , or have you actually measured and compared them ? Not that I would buy them either way....

these releases have been in the stores here for a few years now (often as the only jazz releases in stores with crappy selections btw)

many are compilations but not all; that dizzy gillespie is a fine one, his 1968 live big band album for MPS, as are the johnny griffin "night lady" (quartet with boland, woode, clarke), and the two freddie hubbards...

And the two Ingfried Hoffmann (one comes as "Hammond Bond", disguising it contains a complete album with some bonus tracks), the Dexter Gordon/Slide Hampton...

there are a few others containing complete albums: Ella Fitzgerald Live in San Francisco, and that Clark Terry ballad album. Also the Jimmy Webb album by Kurt Edelhagen is fun (and should be to your liking, I guess, TTK!)

These have been discussed here before, I assume in various threads...

And the two Ingfried Hoffmann (one comes as "Hammond Bond", disguising it contains a complete album with some bonus tracks), the Dexter Gordon/Slide Hampton...

there are a few others containing complete albums: Ella Fitzgerald Live in San Francisco, and that Clark Terry ballad album. Also the Jimmy Webb album by Kurt Edelhagen is fun (and should be to your liking, I guess, TTK!)

These have been discussed here before, I assume in various threads...

forgot the dexter gordon, that's a good one, too... haven't heard the don ellis, but that's another complete album... the edelhagen is indeed fun, though TTK might enjoy it more than i do... unfortunately they didn't continue their series of hard bop reissues from earlier this year in the later batches...

Yes, the Jazz Club-MPS CD of the Jankowski Singers 'For Nightpeople Only' offers many tasty vocal delights.

It preceeded the first MPS recording by The Singers Unlimited and is much more pop oriented.

(Also, it wasn't given the Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer engineering treatment.)

That's how I discovered this series. I have been OBSESSED with the title track since it first came out on the "Snowflakes" MPS compilation. The only music I feel like hearing right now is stuff that would be played at a fondue party in 1973.

The best CD I've heard recently on par with the Jankowski Singers is 'Something Cool' by The Voices in Latin.

It was released in 1969 on the Pulsar label and led by Barbara Moore, just after she'd left the Anita Kerr Singers.

Based in Britain, Moore became one of the top lead session vocalists and her tracks on various film library albums have become legendary and frequently sampled. The Voices in Latin was her debut, a one-shot album for Pulsar (a 2nd-tier subsidiary of Mercury).

The most affordable CD can be obtained from the Dusty Bards for $18.99, when they've got one.

Don't let the Korean pressing throw you, it's good** and appears legit.

Otherwise, a Japanese pressing will run you twice the price, if you can find one.

** a couple piano high notes buzz briefly on track #2.

The best CD I've heard recently on par with the Jankowski Singers is 'Something Cool' by The Voices in Latin.

It was released in 1969 on the Pulsar label and led by Barbara Moore, just after she'd left the Anita Kerr Singers.

My bro-in-law just spun this one the other day. I think there are some Barbara Moore tracks on "Up - The Psycho Mellow," which is one of the best groovy/now sound comps that exists, and I have lots of these, believe me.

According to the Dusty blurb, 'Shades' was released in 1972 "and one of the few full albums Barbara Moore recorded".

The copyright and permissions are all held by DeWolfe Ltd.

Based on the brief thematic titles, they were recorded for their sound clip library.

For the money ($28.99 at Dusty, $52.99 at Amazon) the album yielded only three tracks for my projects.

Your Barbara Moore 'holy grail' should be 'Something Cool'.

Nearly every track is a winner and willful enough not to be relegated to film backgrounds.

I just ordered the Basie On the Sunny Side Of The Street after hearing Lockjaw totally ravish and lascivicate "I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You" on Music Choice Friday night around 1 AM. I also blogloaded the MPS Basic Basie from which it came, just becuase Jaw's tenor stimulated a musical tumescence that could only be sated by immediate and repeated conjugal visits, musical and otherwise, given that LTB woke up while the thing was playing and made it a point to stay awake all the way through, something she wouldn't do if it weren't getting' good to her too.

Edited by JSngry

You mean your sister MARRIED someone like you? There are now TWO of you in the family? :blink:

Just Kidding! :lol:

Close. My wife married someone like her brother!

You would love hanging out with the four of us! Lots of great 60s grooves and bottles of red wine.

Kind of like Xmas 1966 when you received the Walter Wanderley "Rain Forest" album as a gift.