Bruce Katz

Tom 1960

Anyone here heard of this guy? Plays a Hammond B-3 I believe? Man, I had the good fortune the other night while out with the wife, we were attending a job related Christmas party. It just so happened to be that Bruce was performing at the hotel that night totally unrelated to the festivities. I had heard that he was performing there although I pretty much figured we would be long gone by the time he took the floor. It so happened we had just finished eating when Bruce and his trio started to play. Man, I had heard some good things about this guy, but never realised just how good. His band was tight. Playing mostly instumentals and in a blues vein, they were great! Just organ, guitar and drums. After the first set I approached Bruce and told him just how much I enjoyed the music and was very sorry I had to leave. Our party was breaking up and I had to run. I made a point of purchasing a cd and told him if he ever played in the area again, I would attend the show. He told me was playing with Greg Allman. Apparently he's been playing with him for years and that he'd be playing up in Albany in January at a very nice venue. If I can score some tickets and get someone to tag along, I think I might make the trip. Anyone else here wish to add any further comments?

Back in the early to mid-90s, I saw Bruce with Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters and liked what I saw from him. He was really a straight blues player back then, but he swung those blues a lot like Jimmy Smith. I caught him with his own band at the Regattabar in Cambridge quite a few times and he always put on a great show. His set list was almost always straight blues, which suited me fine. He had a nice tenor saxophonist with him back then... what was his name? Tom Hall maybe?

I don't think I've caught him in over a decade. I wonder if he's still living in the Boston area? I'd definitely go check him out again.

Later,

Kevin

To answer your question Kevin, I believe he resides in the area I'm located. A gentleman I spoke to a short time ago when discussing the show seemed to confirm that. I think he's participated in a number of Levon Helms Midnight Ramble shows.

Edited by Tom 1960

You will find Bruce Katz on several Ronnie Earl cd's, I think the best one he is on is Grateful Heart which also has Fathead Newman on 5-6 tracks. His solo dates have been consistently good although I have not heard his latest. He also has a long relationship with Duke Robillard. I was surprised to see he has been on the last two Joe Louis Walker cd's which I have not heard. He also has a project with Joel Frahm playing all Aretha Franklin songs, I have heard that is a bit light weight. Katz also supplies able support on 3 cd's on Audioquest by Joe Beard which are among my favorite blues cd's.