Tenor Madness CD (ojc, k2, sacd, rvg, etc)

mixedupfiles

This is my first post here...

I'd like to pick up Rollins' "Tenor Madness" album on CD (I already have the title number as part of Coltrane's 'Side Steps' box, but I'd like the rest of non Coltrane cuts as well). Does anyone have any opinions on what you think the definitive CD version is? At the very least, I know there's an OJC, a K2, a SACD, an RVG and probably others. Does anyone know which master was used for the redbook layer on the SACD?

The reason I'm asking is because other albums I own from this era have had some questionable digital transfers. "Saxophone Colossus," for example, has noticable droupouts on the OJC and RVG versions, while the K2 CD which I have doesn't contain any significant audible artifacts.

I failed to mention that I'm not interested in spending hundreds of dollars for a DCC version, but other than that I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer on all of the other available versions of Tenor Madness. Thanks.

I believe that the redbook layer of the SACD is a new remastering for that release.

I'm one of those who enjoys the RVG series, and I like that one. The SACD is also very nice. The K2 is very good as well, I play it less, I'm less fond of the K2s as others seem to be.

I don't think you would be unhappy with any of these unless you're an RVG edition "hater." :)

Edited by jazzbo

Welcome to the board, mate!

I think you will be happy with the old OJC CD. I've never heard a bad OJC, as long as it's a U.S. version. (Avoid the European 20 bit OJCs - they are terrible.)

As the OJC CDs are much older, the tapes would have been in better shape when they were made than they were when they were dragged out again for new remasters. This is definitely an issue when it comes to Blue Note CDs. I know cases where the old Japanese "Blue Note Works" CDs have no tape problems, whereas the much more recent RVG CDs show tape deterioration.

Upgraded from the OJC to the K2, which sounds slightly better than the OJC (and the OJC sounds really good nonetheless). Never heard the other versions. The K2's OOP although it seems it can be had for a reasonable price. I have a good deal of Concord RVG's and have been really satisfied with the sound, so most likely the RVG edition sounds just as good.