Leno / O'Brien / Kimmel / Letterman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This stuff + "reality" shows + juicing in sports = why I watch very little television any more.

Right behind you, Paul.

Food Channel/History/Sports/News/Weather/Bio/Music [concerts] faire is all I ever watch anymore.

The rest is just manipulative bullshit.

Edited by GoodSpeak

This stuff + "reality" shows + juicing in sports = why I watch very little television any more.

For me it's not owning a television that slows me down. I'm amazed by people who, when I mention not having one (usually in response to "did you see" questions, I get serious sympathy and offers of old televisions. They just can't believe that someone would do without one by choice.

Tonight marks the final chapter in Conan O'Brien's NBC odyssey. I've never seen his version of The Tonight Show, but I'll most likely be watching this evening out of morbid curiosity. If I'm NBC, I'd be expecting to absorb some pretty nasty parting shots all of which, BTW, will be well deserved. Frankly, I'm just happy we can finally get back to the really important issues. You know, like where in the hell is Tiger Woods.

For me it's not owning a television that slows me down. I'm amazed by people who, when I mention not having one (usually in response to "did you see" questions, I get serious sympathy and offers of old televisions. They just can't believe that someone would do without one by choice.

I got the same thing back when I didn't bother owning a TV in the mid-to-late 80's. People incredulous and actually offering me old TV's. I must admit two things right away, though: Not owning a TV for 3 or 4 years, I STILL managed to get almost nothing done, and NOW I watch more TV than when I was 13.

And I, too, will be one of those people watching Conan's last Tonight Show episode out of morbid curiosity.

Edited by BruceH

Tiger is in rehab.

Seriously?

I'm having trouble deciding which responses are tongue in cheek and which are serious. Assuming this is serious, Tiger is reportedly at a rehab clinic in Hattiesberg, Mississippi that specializes in the treatment of various and sundry addictions. Of course, it's also been reported that he's in South Africa, Phoenix, Arizona and, my favorite, sleeping on an air mattress in the basement of a good friend's house.

Wow--great parting speech from Conan last night on the Tonight Show:

Conan O'Brien's closing remarks

I've been a fan of his ever since he moved into Letterman's old slot at NBC--definitely a comedian/late-night host I related to much more than Leno. I actually like almost all of the current late-night hosts--O'Brien, Letterman, Ferguson and Kimmel--except for Leno. It'll be interesting to see how much of the old Tonight Show audience he brings back...whether or not in a year this has all been pretty much forgotten.

It was a very nice speech. I wish Conan O'Brien well in his future. But I'm willing to bet the ranch that he has $45 million reasons not to be too awfully broken up over this.

OTOH, I cannot help but wonder if we are placing too much blame on Jay Leno for all of this. NBC executives caused all of this to happen. In fact, Leno's staffers have come out in the papers saying Leno is not the culprit here and intimated that NBC is allowing Leno to appear to be the bad guy so they can absolve themselves of the whole nasty business. Leno was just trying to be a team player. I guess the old adage is true: No good deed goes unpunished.

Further, Letterman has some serious anger issues, but he's blaming the wrong guy. Add to that the fact he keeps teeing off on Leno is testament to why he isn't the Tonight Show host. NBC made the right call on that one at least. Letterman is funny, but I have lost a lot of respect for him over these past few months. Kimmel is funny, too. But unless he mellows out some, I don't see the Tonight Show in his future either.

On the whole, I am very happy for Jay Leno,he deserves his rightful spot back. But since the yutzes at NBC took the wind out of his sails, it will be a while before he gets things back on the right track, IMHO.

Wow--great parting speech from Conan last night on the Tonight Show:

Conan O'Brien's closing remarks

thanks for putting that up ghost. terrific and emotional speech. good for him. Conan's has been my favorite 'late night' show for the last 10 years or so. easily. since the 'digital' changeover i haven't had tv - and haven't missed it. but when i did watch late night, Conan was always on. out of all of them, Conan's was the only one that i would truly consider comedy. all the others (some of which i like just fine) come off jokey. sure, funny plenty of the time - but jokey. a lot of the Conan stuff really had much more of a sketch comedy/almost second-city, groundlings insanity or absurdity to it. pretty regularly they really pushed. it didn't always work, but they would go for it. never, ever got that vibe from any of the other shows. all the others consistently play it very safe. i have a lot of respect for Conan and the folks who worked on his show.

i obviously have no idea what Conan will do, but i wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on HBO.i could see him doing something very funny and creative there.

I actually like almost all of the current late-night hosts--O'Brien, Letterman, Ferguson and Kimmel--except for Leno.

i feel the same.

Thank God you don't spend hours a day in front of a monitor anymore! :crazy:

for me the Tonight Show ended when Carson quit. the only late night that remotely interests me is Letterman's monologue or the Daily Show (before Stewart starts kissing his guest's ass). Conan has never been funny; I just don't get his appeal at all.

Exactly. Especially the Conan part. Lame. I liked Leno's standup, though.

Carson and Steve Allen, seemed old-fashioned to me—even when they weren't. Prematurely passé, I guess.

Oh I disagree, Chris.

Steve Allen's dry wit was priceless. That and he was something of a Jazz musician as well. Johnny Carson was fantastically funny and a total class act. Intelligent humor and camp all rolled in to one show. It was awesome stuff!

• 1 month later...

Carson and Steve Allen, seemed old-fashioned to me—even when they weren't. Prematurely passé, I guess.

I tend to agree, although I admired, enjoyed, and respected both. I think the issue for me was the way they gradually declined. I his later years, Allen seemed to me to be hipper in his own mind than he really was; and Carson's last years on the Tonight Show were sometimes uncomfortable for me to watch (outdated jokes, sexism... trying too hard to hold onto what had worked for him 20-30 years prior). But again, I have many good memories of both that leave me feeling mostly positive about both.