What's similar to the Port of Harlem Jazzmen

medjuck

I own the first 2 of these but not the 3rd. However I do have the Frankie Newton session that Spoontaneous mentions which is one of the Panssie sessions. So I guess I'm just missing the one with de Paris-- or are there others I'm missing?

This is also this one:

Mezzrow/Ladnier Quintet : Tommy Ladnier (tp) Mezz Mezzrow (cl) Teddy Bunn (g,vcl) Pops Foster (b) Manzie Johnson (d)

New York, December 19, 1938

030450-1 Royal garden blues

030450-2 Royal garden blues

030451-1 Everybody loves my baby

030451-2 Everybody loves my baby

030452-1 I ain't gonna give nobody none o' this jelly-roll

030452-2 I ain't gonna give nobody none o' this jelly-roll

030453-1 If you see me comin' (tb vcl)

030453-2 If you see me comin' (tb vcl)

030454-1 Gettin' together

030454-2 Gettin' together

Edited by John L

• 1 year later...

I seem to have totally forgotten about this thread... no pm sent to Big Beat Steve back then - but bringing it back up since I found that RCA LP myself. Looks pretty great!

Does the third Bechet 2LP set contain the ENTIRE Panassié sessions? Or is there any other COMPLETE release of them?

I've found the first Bechet 2LP set (and could have picked up a second copy since) in very good (vinylingo says NM- or some such, I guess), but haven't had any luck on the second and third LP sets yet... so in the meantime, the RCA LP will suit me just fine!

I am not quite sure what the "full and complete" Panassié sessions would look like but basically there have been two different versions around in vinyl days: One where the "master tracks" (i.e. one each) were included (which was in some RCA Vintage series pressend in various guises and country-specific pressings in the early 70s, maybe even before), and then there was another one a bit prior to those RCA twofers mentioned above: It was one of the many single-LP volumes in that RCA series with the BLACK front cover (what was the name of that series again? Black & White?) and included alternate takes of several of those "Panassié session" tracks. Can look up the exact issue numers tonight.

As I have not seen Vol. 5 of those 2-LPs Jazz Tribune sets (or the respective CD issue) I don't know if they included the alternate takes there too (but there is a good chance as this series overall did include its share of alternates).

The second LP of the Complete Sidney Bechet plus Ladnier/Mezzrow/Newton Jazz Tribune twofer has all 3 of those Panassié sessions (including the takes mentioned in John L's current last post on this thread). Plus the full January 13, 1939 RCA Panassié session by Frankie Newton (with Mezzrow, Pete Brown, James P. Johnson...).

All the takes from those Ladnier-Mezzrow sessions are also included in the disc that was released with the wonderful 'Traveling Blues - The Life and Music of Tommy Ladnier' two years ago.

Edited by brownie

I am not quite sure what the "full and complete" Panassié sessions would look like but basically there have been two different versions around in vinyl days: One where the "master tracks" (i.e. one each) were included (which was in some RCA Vintage series pressend in various guises and country-specific pressings in the early 70s, maybe even before), and then there was another one a bit prior to those RCA twofers mentioned above: It was one of the many single-LP volumes in that RCA series with the BLACK front cover (what was the name of that series again? Black & White?) and included alternate takes of several of those "Panassié session" tracks. Can look up the exact issue numers tonight.

As I have not seen Vol. 5 of those 2-LPs Jazz Tribune sets (or the respective CD issue) I don't know if they included the alternate takes there too (but there is a good chance as this series overall did include its share of alternates).

Again, there are only THREE volumes of 2LP sets in the Jazz Tribune series! Vol. 5 just indicates LP #5, the first and second 2LP sets are called Vol.1/2 and Vol.3/4, respectively, the third then is Vol.5/Panassié.

This is the RCA LP I got:

51tY6XVwNzL.jpg

And this here's the B&W:

51cJnobCanL.jpg

The second LP of the Complete Sidney Bechet plus Ladnier/Mezzrow/Newton Jazz Tribune twofer has all 3 of those Panassié sessions (including the takes mentioned in John L's current last post on this thread). Plus the full January 13, 1939 RCA Panassié session by Frankie Newton (with Mezzrow, Pete Brown, James P. Johnson...).

All the takes from those Ladnier-Mezzrow sessions are also included in the disc that was released with the wonderful 'Traveling Blues - The Life and Music of Tommy Ladnier' two years ago.

Hm... is Bechet on all dates or isn't he? Don't have my files with me... got to check again tonight.

That disc is just MP3, yes? (Not that it matters... sound restoration is a much bigger issue with such old music, if it's properly compressed/encoded to MP3, I wouldn't really assume that I could tell the difference...)

http://www.jazzedit.org/Traveling-blues.html

Guess I should get this while it's around...

Hm... is Bechet on all dates or isn't he? Don't have my files with me... got to check again tonight.

That disc is just MP3, yes? (Not that it matters... sound restoration is a much bigger issue with such old music, if it's properly compressed/encoded to MP3, I wouldn't really assume that I could tell the difference...)

Bechet is on the LP1 of that twofer (side 1 and half of side 2), these are the New Orleans Feetwarmers sessions of October 1941 (with Chazlie Shavers) and December 1943 (with Vic Dickenson). The remaining material is from the Panassié sessions (no Bechet on those).

Bechet is on the LP1 of that twofer (side 1 and half of side 2), these are the New Orleans Feetwarmers sessions of October 1941 (with Chazlie Shavers) and December 1943 (with Vic Dickenson). The remaining material is from the Panassié sessions (no Bechet on those).

So the Bechet parts of the Panassié sessions are on the second twofer (Vol.3/4), then? Or even at the end of Vol.1/2? Got to check this out... still would love to see a complete Panassié discography (or someone just give leaders and dates and I'll look things up myself)!

Again, there are only THREE volumes of 2LP sets in the Jazz Tribune series! Vol. 5 just indicates LP #5, the first and second 2LP sets are called Vol.1/2 and Vol.3/4, respectively, the third then is Vol.5/Panassié.

That's exactly what I meant ... ;)

Vol. 1/2 = 1st set

Vol. 3/4 = 2nd set

Vol. 5 = 3rd set

And you actually depicted the two LPs I was referring to.

[

How do you get it? I went to that website and don't see any ordering info or prices. (They may be there but I didn't see them.)

[

How do you get it? I went to that website and don't see any ordering info or prices. (They may be there but I didn't see them.)

There are Paypal-buttons here:

http://www.jazzedit.org/contacttb.html

Haven't tried yet, though...