What - no Eric Gale thread???!!!!!

Bright Moments

I listened to that a day or two ago. Nice album, but better for Dr L and HP, than for EG.

The album of his I enjoy most is "Forecast" on Kudu.

I have three of his on Columbia and they're OK - "Ginseng woman"; "Part of you" and "Touch of silk"; I like the last best because of Charles Earland, Harold Vick and Arthur Blythe, though they're only on one or two cuts.

I've also got three Stuff albums. They should have been a damn sight better than they were.

As a sideman, I really rate his work on Red Holloway's "The burner", from 1963, which was about the first one on which he was featured prominently. Everyone on that session was playing a cut above their normal intensity, even Big John Patton, so that is one hell of an album. also, his playing on Stanley Turrentine's "Salt song" is terrific. But I think I've found that everything else I've heard isn't quite up to it. I can't recall anything else that really made me stand up and yell.

Sorry to be relatively unenthusiastic.

MG

I've also got three Stuff albums. They should have been a damn sight better than they were.

Having seen Stuff live back in the day more times than I can count I can only say that the records don't come close to the groove and intensity that was happening when they were gigging nightly at Mikell's in the 1970s.

Edited by Harold_Z

Having seen Stuff live back in the day more times than I can count I can only say that the records don't come close to the groove and intensity that was happening when they were gigging nightly at Mikell's in the 1970s.

I'm sure they don't. Where's the green with envy smiley?

MG

i love his playing on this:

67945.jpg

killer.

Never heard that one.

In fact, I think that I've only ever bought one album Q was associated with - "If you go" by Peggy Lee.

Oh, and Ray Charles' "My kind of jazz".

MG