Trip To Philly Coming Up

can you send me back the wallet?

by the way Pete (sorry to digress here) - chance of another NYC session in May or June with Rudd - since we seemed to have some commuication problems last time, email me at alowe5@maine.rr.com to set up the link, so I can let you know -

back to the Philly question -

Edited by AllenLowe

I really like Philadelphia and really wish I had more clients there.

Tip #1 - Avoid Chester, PA. I've got a client there. Oooh.

Tip #2 - South Street is a pretty nice area to "hang out"; I try to pick my hotels so I have access to this area.

Non-Tip #1 - Unless you're vegan, I'll spare you my restaurant recommendations.

Tip #3 - Record Shops: AKA Music at 27 North Second (seems like the name has changed/changes); Sound of Market 15 South 11th (convenient location, but short hours); another place, not far from South Street was Philadelphia Record Exchange. Those are the three that I recall being worthwhile.

Tip #4 - Live Music. Hopefully, Ortlieb's Jazzhaus is still open. It's a bit out of the center, but worth a trip. There was another club IN the center that closed when I was there a couple of visits back.

Risky Tip #1 - I think there was a record shop called Main Street Music or Main Street Records. I think it was okay. Maybe there's a "local" who can set me straight.

Atomic plays March 01

Bobby Zankel and the Wonderful Warriors of Sound play the first Thursday of every month at Tritone. Recommended.

Art Ensemble of Chicago plays March 06

Ortlieb's is still open. Worth a trip.

Chris' Jazz Cafe is usually a good bet.

Board member Alan Lankin maintains a Philly gig page - check it out here.

Record stores - for used vinyl go to Beautiful World Syndicate. They have two locations. For new vinyl AKA Music and Tequila Sunrise Records are very good. Both places have a little used vinyl too but not in the massive quantities at BWS. Philadelphia Record Exchange has a very large selection of used vinyl too but they put most of the good stuff up on eBay. Still worth a trip.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Hey, Bob--if you'd like, we could plan a Philly organissimo "Welcome Sidewinder" get-together while you're here, perhaps at a jazz venue. I'm sure Messrs. Johnson and Deeley would be interested. We've done it before for the likes of Allen Lowe ph34r.gif and organissimo (Jim, Joe, and Randy in the flesh), and compared to those characters, meeting you would be a real pleasure and a treat. tophat.gif

If you're interested, you can send me a PM with the details of when you'd be available, where you'll be staying, contact info., etc., and I can set something up. partywhistle.gif

"send me a PM with the details of when you'd be available, where you'll be staying, contact info., etc., and I can set something up."

yeah, that's what they told ME - next thing I knew I woke up in Hong Kong with a dead hooker in the bed and needle marks on my left thigh -

You've gotten acclimated to the missing kidney? :ph34r:

Edited by Peter Johnson

There is a KILLER used LP store in West Philly. It opened a few years ago. Packed to the gills, odd titles, most for $5 a throw. I brought home an armload of albums last time I was there. I can't think of the name. I"m pretty sure it's on one of the numbered streets in the mid-40s, someplace around Spruce. Can anyone confirm?

Hey, Bob--if you'd like, we could plan a Philly organissimo "Welcome Sidewinder" get-together while you're here, perhaps at a jazz venue. I'm sure Messrs. Johnson and Deeley would be interested. We've done it before for the likes of Allen Lowe ph34r.gif and organissimo (Jim, Joe, and Randy in the flesh), and compared to those characters, meeting you would be a real pleasure and a treat. tophat.gif

If you're interested, you can send me a PM with the details of when you'd be available, where you'll be staying, contact info., etc., and I can set something up. partywhistle.gif

Man, I never get invites like that!! <_<

There is a KILLER used LP store in West Philly. It opened a few years ago. Packed to the gills, odd titles, most for $5 a throw. I brought home an armload of albums last time I was there. I can't think of the name. I"m pretty sure it's on one of the numbered streets in the mid-40s, someplace around Spruce. Can anyone confirm?

That's Beautiful World in West Philly(see my post above)

There was one on Passyunk that was selling some records in bad shape, but I was able to find a few diamonds. Mayhaps it was Beautiful World?

That's the other Beautiful World location in South Philly.

Hey thanks ! That sounds like an excellent suggestion. I'm not sure how much time I'll get if any - but maybe I can try to tag on an extra day at the end to add in some R&R flexibility. I'll see what I can do.. :)

Sounds like vinyl paradise out there. Too bad I've only got moth-eaten £..

Art Ensemble Of Chicago on the 6th sounds good.. if I'm still in town by then.

I'll pass on Allen's dead hooker in the bed though.. :g

Edited by sidewinder

Looks like my stay in Philly this time is panning out to be a short one, with limited 'window of opportunity' for catching gigs. On the plus side, there will likely be future trips with more opportunity to catch a gig or two, at leisure, to come :)

I want to check out the Coltrane and Sun Ra houses..

Edited by sidewinder

Eating plans?

Over the years I've been away from North America I've always missed the steak and lobster blowouts (separate, not combined) so these are prime candidate options. Looking at the likely itinery though I'll be lucky to squeeze in a trip to McD's :unsure:

One thing's for sure - I'll try to squeeze in a trip to a CD shop. :)

Edited by sidewinder