A DEEP OLIVE BRANCH TO CHRISTIERN

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

krigskors.jpg

Thank you Chris. As you see, it's elegant, without being gaudy or ostentatious. :)

Now I'm starting to lose it. I may have to call on the services of MADAME Le PALME.

Will you please post a photo of you with that (and that only) on your body.

DEEP

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HEY NOW. I'm sensuous, but not STUPID. I will not risk my dignity, nor my integrety as a serious Organissimo poster by doing such a provocative thing and thus getting banned. :rolleyes:

Otherwise I would. :blink::blink:

I wonder if the one of me in just my Viking headgear and knee-high leather boots would preserve the dignity of the board and, at the same time, demonstrate my bravery in battle.

Perhaps not. :blink:

Edited by patricia

CROIX de GUERRE STORY:

This is a true story.

Back in 1963 my father owned a saloon. One of his bartenders was a great guy named Dudley Rourke who was a veteran of WW I.

He did receive the Croix de Guerre from General Foch.

Dud was a pretty big juicer himself but a great guy.

He brought in a box of memorabilia from WW I and my father told me to take the stuff home and assemble it in a scrapbook for Dud. I did and in there was the Medal among all kinds of shit, including photos. There was one photo of this real hot chickie. I didn't know what it was so I just pasted it in the scrapbook. We presented the scrapbook to him at the bar one day when he was juiced out of his nut. He didn't go through it but took it home at the end of the day.

The next day he came in and was flipping out. Apparently that Hot Chickie was some babe he scored in France and when his wife perused the book he caught living hell. I think he received more mortar fire for that scrapbook than he did from the entire First World War.

True Story.

DEEP

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

Women are just so darn sensitive. I guess his having received the Croix de Guerre didn't amount to a hill of beans, to his wife, compared to the hot chickie pic. Come to think of it, my late father had similar pictures, wisely kept in a box in his junk drawer, along with tons of tin and his German lugar. He told me it was "taken off the body of a Nazi", but he winked when he said that. I gather that they could be picked up all over the place in little shops that specialized in war memorabilia. So, who knows how many were actually acquired as the spoils of war?? There are so many of them around that it's a lot like slivers from the true cross. :blink::blink:

Edited by patricia

Women are just so darn sensitive.  I guess his having received the Croix de Guerre didn't amount to a hill of beans, to his wife, compared to  the hot chickie pic.  Come to think of it, my late father had similar pictures, wisely kept in a box in his junk drawer, along with tons of tin and his German lugar.  He told me it was "taken off the body of a Nazi", but he winked when he said that.  I gather that they could be picked up all over the place in little shops that specialized in war memorabilia.  So, who knows how many were actually acquired as the spoils of war??  There are so many of them around that it's a lot like slivers from the true cross.  :blink:  :blink:

One of the photos was of Foch kissing him on the cheek.

Calm down folks...now calm the fuck down. That was part of the ceremony.

Dud said he was kind of embarrased with that.

Dud used to get so bombed, especially on St. Patrick's Day. My father could never even think of firing him. My father used to anticipate Dud's juicing days and would come in early at the end of Dud's shift to spell him.

Those WW I guys were different. I don't think they held the rancor for the enemy as much as the WW II guys did. Of course the Japanese were dehumanized so I guess that made a difference.

I don't think there are many WW I guys left. I'm glad I got to know quite a few of them during my lifetime.

Speaking of Veterans:

JSangry,

Did you know that John Bunch (Major John Bunch) got shot down during WW II and was a prisoner of war??

I'll tell you that story if you're interested.

DEEP

Please do.

You're right about the WW1 guys. There were still some around when I was a kid and they were certainly not as gung-ho as my dad and his war buddies were, many of whom lived in the same town where I grew up.

However, I saw "All Quiet On The Western Front" with Dad and he said that that is far more indicative of the plight of the foot soldier than any other film he'd seen.

I was surprised at his empathy, considering that it was told from the German point of view, about WW1. Back then, they quite often saw their adversary, close up, rather than just dropping bombs from a plane. Different world then.

Edited by patricia

Please do.

PATTY,

Pardon my impertinence but..IS YOUR NAME JSANGRY!!??

DEEP

Your impertinence is pardoned.

If you post your story, is it only for JSangry?? If so, I'll avert my gaze, as will all who view this thread, out of respect for your and JSangry's privacy.

I just checked my passport and, having viewed the picture and the identity details, I am, indeed, NOT JSangry. My apologies for my own impertinence. :blink::blink:

Edited by patricia

Speaking of Veterans:

JSangry,

Did you know that John Bunch (Major John Bunch) got shot down during WW II and was a prisoner of war??

DEEP

Sorry for the late response. I'm watching the Cowboys suck and suck and suck. On BROADCAST TV no less!

Hell yeah, Deep. Tell the story. I had no idea.

Edited by JSngry

Speaking of Veterans:

JSangry,

DEEP

Sorry for the late response. I'm watching the Cowboys suck and suck and suck. On BROADCAST TV no less!

Hell yeah, Deep. Tell the story. I had no idea.

Stick a fork in 'em, Sangrey, they're done!!! Go Eagles.

Sorry to hijack, but the post called for it.

I'd love to hear the story as well.

John Bunch was a BOMBADIER on a B-29 during WWII.

He was shot down and taken prisoner.

It was towards the end of the war and as the Allies were fast approaching victory the Germans were transporting the prisoners. At one point Bunch was being transported by train as it was being strafed by American fighters.

The winter of '44 was a bitch and the prisoners were still being moved farther from the approaching allies. Bunch told me that at one point he just could not continue and he just sat down and awaited his fate. At that point another prisoner, knowing John's futility, gave him a raw potato. John told me that that single potato saved his life. It gave him the strength to continue. Eventually spring came and the prisoners were repatriated.

He actually served in the reserves for years and retired as a Major.

Whenever I see him or work with him I call him "MAJOR BUNCH".

DEEP

Deepness,

I'd like to hear more crazy road stories from your own experiences...

OH SHIT.....NOW YOU REALLY ARE TRYING TO GET ME BANNED.

I'll lay some out.

Get a cold towel out for B.

DEEP

Here's one you guys up in Michigan may find of interest.

I was hired by a singer to do a gig at Baker's Keyboard Lounge in Detroit during May of 1979.

I had been working with this singer off and on during that year.

I drove to Detroit in my own car but due to traffic and the 10 hour drive I arrived in town later than I had expected. Rather than head downtown where the rest of the band was staying I went directly to Baker's and set up my cans. I asked Baker where there was a cheap motel in the area. He directed me to one and I checked in.

I went to the gig that night and Claude Black was on piano, Richie Cole on alto, and a local bass player whose name escapes me. (Ralph Armstrong was hired to begin on the second night).

I talked to the singer and he gave me a bunch of upcoming dates i.e. Newport Festival in NYC, Village Vanguard, Wilmington, Delaware etc.

Drummer Roy Brooks was in attendence that night and mistook me for Chick Corea at the bar (I looked a lot like him back then).

At the end of the evening we were all in the vestibule and had I been staying downtown I would have been in charge of giving the singer a ride back to the hotel, but since I wasn't I said goodnight and walked out of the club with my cymbal bag and headed for my car. As I walked out of the club I saw this big Lincoln Continental parked out front with a couple questionable characters sittting in it. I didn't think too much about it so I just got in my short and cut out. My motel was just around the corner and down the road about a half mile.

When I awoke the next morning I was getting ready to take a walk and was feelin' really good about the gig and the upcoming events. I turned on the TV and on the local news the reporter was announcing the fatal shooting of a singer at Baker's Keyboard Lounge the preceding night.

"Last night at Baker's Keyboard Lounge jazz singer EDDIE JEFFERSON was fatally shot to death by a man with a shotgun in a Lincoln Continental"

I talked to Eddie's chick, Cheryl, and she told me I missed it by mere seconds.

That one was close as I'd have probably been taking Eddie to my car had I not arrived in town late and checked into a different motel.

I went to the club immediately to get my cans and there were shotgun (birdshot) holes all over the front of the club. The newpaper media was there and they interviewed me. My father immediately called the motel where I was staying and at the moment he was talking to the desk clerk I was being interviewed on TV and the desk clerk told this to my father. Needless to say he was gettin' nervous.

I got my cans (and *MY* CAN) out of town and drove 10 hours back to New York. That was one long ride with nothing on my mind for 10 hours except the death of EDDIE JEFFERSON.

DEEP

When I was researching a small bio I was writing on another board, about Eddie Jefferson, I was unable to find out if anyone was ever charged with his murder. 

Did they ever find out who was responsible??

They did charge a guy. He was a Detroit auto worker and oddly enough, a friend of Eddie's. I can't remember his name but he was trying to get a career going singing in the vocalese style of Eddie and Eddie rebuffed his aspirations. Needless to say he didn't take kindly to the rebuff.

I think he walked.

There was some talk of Roy Brooks having had a small part in it but that was never proven. Brooks was nuts anyway.

DEEP

When I was researching a small bio I was writing on another board, about Eddie Jefferson, I was unable to find out if anyone was ever charged with his murder. 

Did they ever find out who was responsible??

They did charge a guy. He was a Detroit auto worker and oddly enough, a friend of Eddie's. I can't remember his name but he was trying to get a career going singing in the vocalese style of Eddie and Eddie rebuffed his aspirations. Needless to say he didn't take kindly to the rebuff.

I think he walked.

There was some talk of Roy Brooks having had a small part in it but that was never proven. Brooks was nuts anyway.

DEEP

Thank you. I looked and looked and couldn't find any information beyond that Eddie was murdered outside the club. I guess the aftermath wasn't dramatic enough to follow up. Sad.