A DEEP OLIVE BRANCH TO CHRISTIERN

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

Christiern called the studio during the mix down but didn't show up.

We even went until 9 PM and then all went out to dinner.

Maybe you should address your question directly to Christiern re the UNCLENCHING.

DEEP

1. Christiern called Nola, asked DEEP how long the session would last.
  2. DEEP informs Christiern that it will go until 4, maybe 5 PM
  3. Christiern has a lot of running around to do, says he will try to make it
  4. Christiern does not finish his business until about ten to five
  5. Christiern decides to take his unclenched derriere home
  6. Christiern makes it up to his apartment, braving the crowd of doormen and porters who are milling about the lobby (it's that time of year).

End of story?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

End of story?

Not quite!

No details were given by Christiern as to whether or not his running around included purchasing x-mas gifts for fellow board members, most importantly of course is catesta.

Only 6 shopping days left according to my calendar. ;)

Edited by catesta

End of story?

Not quite!

No details were given by Christiern as to whether or not his running around included purchasing x-mas gifts for fellow board members, most importantly of course is catesta.

Only 6 shopping days left according to my calendar. ;)

• Catesta, it may be different in the land of sun and sand, but here in the cold East, gifts purchased with an unclenched behind are generally not worth unwrapping. Be careful what you wish for.

Yo DEEP:

Didja get it all mixed in nine hours? if so, my compliments to your ( electronic )mixologist!

how did it all come out?

( I deliberately did mine over a two day span because : 1. I got a good block rate and 2. I like to have time to rest my ears, have several preprandial libations and a nice dinner then go back , do a coupla tunes and bag it till the next morn ..finshed in half a day ..

nice and easy duzzit every time

:g

Yo DEEP:

Didja get it all mixed in nine hours? if so, my compliments to your ( electronic )mixologist!

how did it all come out?

( I deliberately did mine over a two day span because : 1. I got a good block rate and 2. I like to have time to rest my ears, have several preprandial libations and a nice dinner then go back , do a coupla tunes and bag it till the next morn ..finshed in half a day ..

(MUFF) MISSLE,

Yeah, it was done in nine hours and a quart of booze.

Of course now they will master it and then we deal with liners and graphics. Looks to be available in late January early February.

Had to do some overdubbing too. I played piano on one section that was missed at the date.

Sounds pretty good to me but remember....THIS IS THE TAIL END OF THE *WET* SEASON!!

When I listen to it after January 2nd it could be a whole other ball game.

DEEP

Yo DEEP:

Didja get it all mixed in nine hours?  if so, my compliments to your ( electronic )mixologist!

how did it all come out?

( I deliberately did mine over a two day span because : 1. I got a good block rate  and 2. I like to have time to rest my ears, have several preprandial libations and a nice dinner then go back , do a coupla tunes and bag it till the next morn ..finshed in half a day ..

(MUFF) MISSLE,

Yeah, it was done in nine hours and a quart of booze.

Of course now they will master it and then we deal with liners and graphics. Looks to be available in late January early February.

Had to do some overdubbing too. I played piano on one section that was missed at the date.

Sounds pretty good to me but remember....THIS IS THE TAIL END OF THE *WET* SEASON!!

When I listen to it after January 2nd it could be a whole other ball game.

DEEP

Very true ..

grapes can sometimes get in yer ears when mixing ..

In fact, after listening to the CZ mix one time in the car ( to kill time on the

hour and a half drive back to the Northland from Seattle ), I put the reference mix ASIDE for four days before listening to it again ..to give myself the illusion of objectivity ..

funny ..I had to do a small piano repair at the the end of the waltz on my CD too ..

really anxious to hear what y'all came up with ..

(Heat seeking MUFF) missle,

I think you're gonna dig what we did.

For all the Lurkers:

Missle and I did the same tune on both of our recordings.

The tune is SWEET GEORGIA *UPSIDE* DOWN.

Of course it's based on Sweet Georgia Brown (but the UPSIDE DOWN is what got my attention......and it's in the key of *F* rather than Ab).

KELLY wrote it and arranged it.

Now I'm not gonna try to compare his version with what we did, nor am I gonna try to say which one I prefer.

What I will attempt to do is point out the difference.

KELLY (SGUD) played the chart at a much slower tempo.

(Now this is for Randall) Where KELLY had written on the drum part "fill", is where I took the shit in a different direction. I didn't always take KELLY'S advise.

I wanted the chart to sound like a Bebop small group feel. I used the Mel Lewis approach..."Less is more".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that...we performed it like a New York junkie band.....Kelly's version was like an L.A. Studio Band with BLOWN DRY CHEST HAIRS (ala Tonight Show, for which the chart was originally designed).

At one point during the mixing I brought out the bass pump part where KELLY quoted "I FOUND A NEW BABY"...which of course played into "SWEET GEORGIA UPSIDE DOWN" and I told the engineer at NOLA to UNLOAD on that part.

LEW TABACKIN is featured exclusively throughout.

KELLY is gonna hit me hard on the concept but ..KELLY, I LOVE YA...SEND ME MORE CHARTS LIKE THAT ONE....WE'RE GONNA DO VOLUME THREE NEXT SEPTEMBER.

DEEP

p.s. KELLY, Dave Stahl took the tag *UP AN OCTAVE*...you may wanna suggest that to Bradleigh.

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

(Heat seeking MUFF) missle,

I think you're gonna dig what we did.

For all the Lurkers:

Missle and I did the same tune on both of our recordings.

The tune is SWEET GEORGIA *UPSIDE* DOWN.

Of course it's based on Sweet Georgia Brown (but the UPSIDE DOWN is what got my attention......and it's in the key of *F* rather than Ab).

KELLY wrote it and arranged it.

Now I'm not gonna try to compare his version with what we did, nor am I gonna try to say which one I prefer.

What I will attempt to do is point out the difference.

KELLY (SGUD) played the chart at a much slower tempo.

(Now this is for Randall) Where KELLY had written on the drum part "fill", is where I took the shit in a different direction. I didn't always take KELLY'S advise.

I wanted the chart to sound like a Bebop small group feel. I used the Mel Lewis approach..."Less is more".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that...we performed it like a New York junkie band.....Kelly's version was like an L.A. Studio Band with BLOWN DRY CHEST HAIRS (ala Tonight Show, for which the chart was originally designed).

At one point during the mixing I brought out the bass pump part where KELLY quoted "I FOUND A NEW BABY"...which of course played into "SWEET GEORGIA UPSIDE DOWN" and I told the engineer at NOLA to UNLOAD on that part.

LEW TABACKIN is featured exclusively throughout.

KELLY is gonna hit me hard on the concept but ..KELLY, I LOVE YA...SEND ME MORE CHARTS LIKE THAT ONE....WE'RE GONNA DO VOLUME THREE NEXT SEPTEMBER.

DEEP

p.s. KELLY, Dave Stahl took the tag *UP AN OCTAVE*...you may wanna suggest that to Bradleigh.

Heh Heh ..

I cant wait to hear the NYC junkie version! :blink:

also : I EXPECTED you to ignore my "fill " directions ..I would have ( you have to remember who the part was originally "for" hmmm? )

I will be very interested toi hear what Lew Tabackin did ..

BTW: the 8va tpt part on the tag is a great Idea ..I'll make sure Brad does it .. when we have our

CD release parties in February ( it takes six months to get these guys together again, and

I wont use subs ..)

finally: I'm copying your entire sterling review ..and e-mailing it to my entire "blow- dried

sun- tanned -laid- back- lets- do -lunch" West Coast band band !!

:excited:

Luv ewe 2 DEEP ..

September eh, ?? maybe by then, I can dream up something* hard* enough to bend you guys toenails a bit!

SGUD ..chief windpasser NW Prevailing Winds .. :party:

finally: I'm copying your entire sterling review  ..and e-mailing it to my entire "blow- dried

sun- tanned -laid- back- lets- do -lunch" West Coast band band !! 

BED (aka PROVING GROUND FOR A GUIDED *SGUD MUSCLE*),

While you're wining and dining your *TAN TEAM*...be sure to order CAMPBELL'S TOMATO SOUP (no graham crackers), TOFU, HOT AIR POPPING CORN (no butter or salt), BOILED CHICKEN BREASTS (skin removed), ICEBERG LETTUCE (hold the onions),......... and set their palates afire with a luke warm BRITTO WATER COCKTAIL !!

DEEP

His group included Roy Eldridge, Joe Eldridge, Teddy Wilson, his trombonist brother, Gus as well as Vic Dickerson.

"VIC DICKERSON" ?????

JEEZUS H. CHRIST!!!!

GET REAL !!

DEEP

His group included Roy Eldridge,  Joe Eldridge, Teddy Wilson, his trombonist brother, Gus as well as Vic Dickerson. 

"VIC DICKERSON" ?????

JEEZUS H. CHRIST!!!!

GET REAL !!

DEEP

I was astounded as well, but it's true. Apparantly Dickerson played territory bands, during the late twenties, including Speed Webb's and also Zack White's.

In the thirties he played with big bands, like Bennie Moten's, Blanche Calloway's and Claude Hopkins'.

After that, he became house trombonist at the Savoy, after a spell of illness.

The rest of his career is pretty well known, but, yes, he did play out in the hinterlands for a few years, including with "Speed" Webb. Everybody has to start somewhere and few burst onto the scene, fully formed. Call it an apprenticeship. :blink:

Next........ :w

FOR CHRISSAKES, PATTY.

D-I-C-K-E-R-S-O-N???

SPELLCHECK, DEAR!!

I "apparantly" (sic) worked with "DICKERSON" for two and a half years at Condon's.

I guess I musta heard his name MISPRONOUNCED at the end of 2000 sets over the course of time.........DUH!!!!

DEEP

Speaking of spelling, which I believe we were, it's B-R-I-T-A, not B-R-I-T-T-O, unless you were using poetic license.  :rolleyes:

TOUCHE

Water is not a biggie with me. I administer it sparingly when adding it to libation.

After all, no reason to bruise the cubes with too much H2O.

DEEP

BUT..........much more interesting than my being spell-challenged would be a discussion of jazz history. 

Although I have virtually no first-hand knowledge of the idium, as you do, I would be interested in pitting my meagre research skills, such as they are, with your actual experience in the field.

At worst, you get to make me look like a piker and at best, we relative newbies  get to learn more about JAZZ.  No fair using obscure facts and situations that are impossible to discover without access to those who were actually there.

How about it HOTSHOT??  :blink:  :w

JAMES I. LENT.....woman (lower case for emphasis).

DEEP

p.s. IDIOM....idiut....DUH!!

BED (aka PROVING GROUND FOR A GUIDED *SGUD MUSCLE*),

While you're wining and dining your *TAN TEAM*...be sure to order CAMPBELL'S TOMATO SOUP (no graham crackers), TOFU, HOT AIR POPPING CORN (no butter or salt), BOILED CHICKEN BREASTS (skin removed), ICEBERG LETTUCE (hold the onions),......... and set their palates afire with a luke warm BRITTO WATER COCKTAIL !!

DEEP

Deep:

These guys dont eat that kinda shit ..they're basically into Oriental food ( Thai , Japanese, etc ), sushi ..and hot saki, martinis, and Johnny W Black ..

these guys are basically your basic old ex- road rat jazz types ..ask Smuylan ..he knows them pretty well frorm two years at the Bud Shank clinics (as well as being my token Noo Yawker on the CZ CD ) :blink:

PATTY,

If it takes a monkey two and a half hours to shingle a tin shithouse with potato peelings, how far does a rat turd have to fall to split a two inch plank??

DEEP