A DEEP OLIVE BRANCH TO CHRISTIERN

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

yo Deep, how's the weather in your neighborhood? Michigan weather right now blows!  There's a real strong "lake effect" that has set up in west Michigan.. :blink: As luck would have it, we're starting a steady Tuesday gig tonight in a brew pub in Grand Rapids and the hi temp right now is about 10 with strong wind gusts and way too much snow coming down! ,, Lot's of white out action & snow drifting across the highways & freeways..

Problem is B3er & Joe G live in Lansing, an hour's drive from GR,, and with the wind gusts, the plows can't keep the salt on the roads and the snow just keeps drifting, along with the white outs... This time of the year sure can suck!

We don't have the snow down here in Toledo, Randy, but it is frigging cold.

Not fit for man nor beast.

Radissimo, What is a "lake effect"?

TEN DEGREES!!! I'll see that and raise you TWENTY-TWO DEGREES BELOW ZERO, not to mention the wind-chill factor, as it's so whimsically called around these parts.

Not a lot of snow, but that's not what makes it cold.

I walked to work this morning, as usual and it was bracing, to say the least. It doesn't matter how many warm clothes you wear, it is still cold.

The diabolical thing about Calgary is that it can be thirty degrees warmer tomorrow and later the same day drop again. Something about the Chinook breezes. But, what happens is that the snow on the streets melts into slush, then, when the temps drop again, they are skating rinks. Weird. :blink::wacko:

"Lake Effect" occurs when the water temperature of the Great Lakes is warmer than the air. This causes lots of heavy and drifting snow and often white outs along west Michigan's coastal areas, sometimes moving 50 miles or more inland. Lake effect can sometimes last for days or occasionally a week or two.. I'm about 45 minutes from Lake Michigan and it's kickin' over here!

Edited by randissimo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Lake Effect" occurs when the water temperature of the Great Lakes is warmer than the air. This causes lots of heavy and drifting snow and often white outs along west Michigan's coastal areas, sometimes moving 50 miles or more inland.  Lake effect can sometimes last for days or occasionally a week or two.. I'm about 45 minutes from Lake Michigan and it's kickin' over here!

Randall,

It's good for you, Tufman............... MAKES YOU PLAY BETTER!!

DEEP

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

PATTY,

How bout Walter "FOOTS" Thomas ??

or even better..

The legendary pianist

DARNELL"DILDY" WILTSIE??

DEEP

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

CONN (A LINGUIST),

QUESTION:

When dealing with sobriquets is it better to use quotation marks or apostrophes

i.e.

GREG "BABY GISBY" GISBERT

OR

GREG 'BABY GISBY' GISBERT

ADVANCE CLASP.

DEEP

Conn may disagree with me, but I always understood that apostrophies, in place of quotation marks, are only used to emphasize a nickname or other word that you wish to highlight within a sentence or paragraph which already is a quote. Otherwise, a second set of quotation marks would be a punctuation stutter.

So, for example, if the sentence is:

He died at 86 and was buried New Orleans-style: "I know they played 'Just A Closer Walk With Thee' over him," remembers Barney Bigard, "and cut down the hill with 'Muskrat Ramble' and 'Ory's Creole Trombone' and that was the end of an era." [part of the description of Kid Ory's funeral in New Orleans].

If the passage didn't already have quotes, the titles of the tunes would have full quotes around them. But, the apostrophies are used in place of them, within the quoted comment. They are not interchangeable. So, use full quotes.

Patty is correct.

Got it DEEPSTER?

Conn (a linguist),

How 'bout some help on this one. Bear in mind that at times I'm speaking as I normally would.

I've been working on this all day.

-------------------------------------------------

THE MUSIC

1. Sweet Georgia Upside Down (a.k.a. Sweet Georgia Brown) -

GONE!!

Deep: The liner notes are quite good and very entertaining ( I especially liked the description of Dotson )

however: one small point:

Sweet Georgia Upside Down is NOT ALSO KNOWN AS Sweet Georgia Brown ..is is a separate

and original composition based on the CHANGES of SGB ,,in the Manner of "Dig" or other similar

pieces ..

it has it's own copyright and publisher ( moi, naturally in the DBA Fee Seize Music ASCAP ) nad if you use the term AKA, I may lose some performance royalties when your no doubt screaming NY junkie band CD is released ..( your definition, as you recall ) :g

thank you for yer supp hort ...

BTW: I'm currently buried up to the ying-yang in goddam SNOW!! ( about 8 " with more

to come today ) VErey unusual for NW WA ..and I have bad cabin fever ...

Missile,

How come Watrous used (aka Sweet Georgia Brown)??

How does this read out?

1. Sweet Georgia Upside Down - This is an "upstairs" romp that features Lew Tabackin in his first of two guest appearances on this CD. It gets things fired up right out of the gate. Sweet Georgia Brown, upon which this tune is largely based, is usually played in the key of "Ab". This version is in "F" and upon first viewing the chart, Lew asked for "a minute to think about the key signature". All it took was about a minute. I counted off the tempo and WE WERE OFF!! Tabackin doesn't hesitate to sink his teeth into it. After Lew's lengthy statement the saxes come in with an impressive soli section which leads into the final full ensemble. Our lead trumpet player, Dave Stahl, took a little liberty with the last 8 bars of the tune by taking the part up an octave. As you can hear....IT WORKED!!

BTW On Lew’s last chorus he and I played a little game of badminton. We batted the birdie around pretty good but when all was said and done there wasn’t a feather out of place.

What took Stapleton out? (Bill not Bev...I took Bev out...duh!)

DEEP

DEEP:

The edited version looks fine ..(just dont even MENTION SGB ..even in parentheses )

Watrous did that ..and it took me YEARS to get my ASCAP on it because of that goddam "AKA"

I discovered after a great amount of bitching, a great nasty lawyer AND a separate copyright that had been listed with ASCAP since 1970 ( since I had been getting PRs from the Tonight Show for 3 years ) After about a year, ASCAP finally had to admity that they'd been paying the estate of the writers of SGB ..when in actuality , they owed me a fairly good pile of digit for the Columbia stuff over the period from 73 thru 75.

EVen after paying my *shark* off ..I came out really good on that one..

Bill S died a long time back in LA ( seems like 12 or 14 years ago ..maybe longer ) AS I recall, he'd been living in his car.. The cause was acute alcoholism ..his liver just blew up ..and he wasn't even 40 , I don't think ..

a word to the wise ... :alien:

Geez, I'd come to think of this thread as a private Deep/Patricia place, now I see something from SGUD!

If Danny and Patty get back to panting I can ignore another thread and "have a life".

I laugh on your shirt-front, Chuck. Anyone can play, as far as I know, admittedly, not having reviewed the guidelines, surely set out by our thread-originator. :w

Sounds like some kind of proposal to me, Chuck. ;)

Edited by connoisseur series500

I'm not used to saying "no" to chickies.

I think the last time I did it "Not now, we're landing".

CLIT,

GET BLASTED FOR ME.

WHAT IS THIS ONE....76??

I haven't had a taste on my birthday in over 29 years.

I started my Wet/Dry season routine back in 1975 and my birthday is on March 14th.

DEEP

This is probably the best place to post this.  ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLINT!

Happy Birthday Clint and also to the guy in the iron suit.

There's another happy birthday greeting to Clint on the preceding page, but, not to repeat myself,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLINT!!!!

Is today Ray Bolger's natal day??

Admirable restraint to not break out the champagne on one's birthday. If ever there was an occasion, that's the occasion.

Edited by patricia

Is today Ray Bolger's natal day??

Admirable restraint to not break out the champagne on one's birthday.  If ever there was an occasion, that's the occasion.

Check out Clint's avatar, Patty.

May I say, in my typically elegant, decorous and restrained way.............MY MY, WOW????????

As for remembering the last time I answered in the negative to a gentleman's request, well, it's easier to remember the last time I said "yes".

I say "I'm flattered, but no" much more often. :w

Edited by patricia

GREG 'BABY GISBY' GISBERT

I've always known Gizzy as "Tiny Baby Gisby", but you know better than I, DEEP.

The bottom line is that he plays his ass off. Or "ass offs" as Buddy would say.

Looking forward to the procurement of the new side! Keep up the good work!

Commendable tune selection!

DILDS,

Did you know that 9000 soldiers have been wounded in Iraq severely enough to

be evacuated. Let's see... That's about 7% of the total force there (9-10

months of combat) or roughly 1 in 14. Certainly doesn't sound like a low

grade insurrection.

TIME TO BRING OUT THE BIG GUNS IN THE MIDDLE EAST (AND ELSEWHERE).

FUCK BEING LIBERATORS....IT'S TIME TO BE *CONQUERORS*!!

DEEP

General Motors (the CEO actually) has criticized Toyota and its hybrid car

technology saying that it makes absolutely no sense to produce an economy

car that gets such good gas mileage. I think I hear the drums of doom

beating slightly louder for American industry.

WE GOTTA BURY'EM...

....DEEP

CHINA is gonna be our big problem in 50 or 60 years when the oil supplies are runnin' down. They are becoming more capitalistic by the second. The difference between that country and this one is...they don't let stupid motherfuckers vote and tell them what is good for their country.

Not in my lifetime but in my grandchildren's lifetime the crunch will hit and China is gonna want that oil (what's left of it).

That is when the shit will hit the fan.

Glad I won't be around to see it.

We better start looking for alternative energy sources or else this is gonna be an empire in decline (if it isn't already).

Japan?...no sweat...they're done...North Korea?..China will handle that malignant little dwarf. Europe?...they got a chance if they can make that Euro currency work but they got two pimples on the ass of progress holding it back.

Canada?....I WON'T EVEN GO THERE. THEY'RE A NON-ENTITY.

DEEP

(Gettin' a little thirsty)

CHINA is gonna be our big problem in 50 or 60 years when the oil supplies are runnin' down. They are becoming more capitalistic by the second. The difference between that country and this one is...they don't let stupid motherfuckers vote and tell them what is good for their country.

Not in my lifetime but in my grandchildren's lifetime the crunch will hit and China is gonna want that oil (what's left of it).

That is when the shit will hit the fan.

Glad I won't be around to see it.

We better start looking for alternative energy sources or else this is gonna be an empire in decline (if it isn't already).

Japan?...no sweat...they're done...North Korea?..China will handle that malignant little dwarf. Europe?...they got a chance if they can make that Euro currency work but they got two pimples on the ass of progress holding it back.

Canada?....I WON'T EVEN GO THERE. THEY'RE A NON-ENTITY.

DEEP

(Gettin' a little thirsty)

You have six months, less seven days to go until the "wet season", so hang in there.

Canada may very well be relatively insignificant, politically and militarily. We're peace-keepers, not invaders. We also have large supplies of oil, right around where I live which the U.S. covets. Of course there won't be a war. Our leaders will just give it away, so intent are they not to offend the militarily superior big dog to the south of us.

BUT, you forget that your natural gas comes from Canada, at least on the West coast.

Putting that aside, the points you've made are, for the most part valid. The path all of our leaders, throughout the last several decades, since the invention of the internal combustion engine have somehow taken the position that petroleum is a renewable resource. As well, the petroleum producers have a vested interest in discouraging, if not outright blocking the acceptance of an engine which uses an alternate fuel. Inventors have developed some alternates, but seem to hit a blank wall, when it comes to having their inventions generally accepted and encouraged by all of our governments, as well as a public stuck with what already exists and is familiar to them.

While it's true that I will be dead by the time that the fuel for conventional cars is gone, my children and my grandchildren will have a hell-damner of a problem, which could have been avoided, if not for greed.

This war is not about humanitarianism, it is about money and power, or, as you say, being CONQUERERS. How many innocent lives being ruined, or snuffed out will that cost to facilitate huge gains for the few??

Progress?? I don't think so.

Edited by patricia

And a big fat "thnkyuvermuch" for the birthday wishes.

I was born the day Calvin Coolidge died. It makes me wonder about reincarnation.

In honor of our thread originator, the one, the only LDB, I had large quantities of Johnny Black, washed down with a nice Rhone and a drop of armangac. This drinking for two can be a task. I had double Advil for breckfast this morning.

And now, back to our program "Lust, jazz and grammar."