LF: Tristano Marsh Konitz Mosaic box (affordable)

I didn't know about this material (from the Tristano estate on Jazz Records). Has any of it been reissued by other labels on cd, or is it all unavailable elsewhere? And, for those who have these records, I'd be interested in hearing about sound quality and particular recommendations!

gregmo

I didn't know about this material (from the Tristano estate on Jazz Records). Has any of it been reissued by other labels on cd, or is it all unavailable elsewhere? And, for those who have these records, I'd be interested in hearing about sound quality and particular recommendations!

gregmo

Some of it has been issued on boots at various times. I've got several of the Jazz issues. The two CDs of the early Tristano group (Birdland 1949 & Wow) are excellent musically, but rough sledding sonically - they were recorded on a wire recorder. Toronto 1952 had decent sound and is maybe the Tristano album I'd take to a desert island - phenomenal music by a quintet with Konitz and Marsh. Continuity is okay - the quintet session doesn't get to me as much as the Toronto recordings, and the fragmentary quartet session with Marsh is good, but the sound is not so great. Manhattan Studio is well-recorded, excellent trio music.

But IMHO, the Toronto session is the one to get. Like I said, this might be my favorite Tristano album.

Edited by jeffcrom

gregmo

Some of it has been issued on boots at various times. I've got several of the Jazz issues. The two CDs of the early Tristano group (Birdland 1949 & Wow) are excellent musically, but rough sledding sonically - they were recorded on a wire recorder. Toronto 1952 had decent sound and is maybe the Tristano album I'd take to a desert island - phenomenal music by a quintet with Konitz and Marsh. Continuity is okay - the quintet session doesn't get to me as much as the Toronto recordings, and the fragmentary quartet session with Marsh is good, but the sound is not so great. Manhattan Studio is well-recorded, excellent trio music.

But IMHO, the Toronto session is the one to get. Like I said, this might be my favorite Tristano album.

Many thanks for the reply. I'll definitely look into getting some of these.

gregmo