The T.A.M.I. Show on DVD!

felser

Shout Factory somehow got the rights to The T.A.M.I. Show after so many years, and it is coming out on DVD on March 23, complete and uncut (even has the Beach Boys performances). Haven't seen this one since I was a 9-10 year old, and can't wait!!! Seeing James Brown in this at that age, the whole fainting bit and all, was life-changing for me!

Shout Factory somehow got the rights to The T.A.M.I. Show after so many years, and it is coming out on DVD on March 23, complete and uncut (even has the Beach Boys performances). Haven't seen this one since I was a 9-10 year old, and can't wait!!! Seeing James Brown in this at that age, the whole fainting bit and all, was life-changing for me!

Isn't the story that the Rolling Stones were petrified to come on after James Brown, and there was a convenient 45 minute "technical malfunction," that delayed the taping, after which, they got the nerve to go on?

• 1 month later...

I was able to watch this yesterday, and I loved every second. The sound is mono, but very good, with the picture quality also being outstanding. Of course, it is the performances that make this something special to watch. Most surprising: Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. I always had the notion that Robinson was a "passive" presence, but here, he really was a top-notch entertainer, who could move mountains if he wanted. I could not figure out why Lesley Gore gets so much time, but she was okay. Jan & Dan had a very goofy vibe to them. Of course, James Brown puts on an amazing show... WOW! I had never seen it before yesterday, even on Youtube. The Stones had it tough following that act, but Mick and the boys did a good job, and performed with a lot of energy. Well worth the money you spend to get this. Now, if only The TNT Show and Pop Gear would get released.

I could not figure out why Lesley Gore gets so much time, but she was okay.

Lesley Gore had four top-5 charting songs in the 18 months prior to this, was a huge presence at that time, though she had very little commercial success afterwards. The songs were "It's My Party" (#1), "Judy's Turn to Cry" (#5), "She's A Fool" (#5), and "You Don't Own Me" (#2 for three weeks in early 1964, kept out of #1 by the Beatles). "That's The Way Boys Are" (#12) and "Maybe I Know" (#14) were also significant 1964 hits for her which would have charted even higher but for the British Invasion. And some of those are great pop records, especially "You Don't Own Me", which still produces goose pimples when I hear it. BTW, she was a Quincy Jones discovery/production.

I watched some of it last night- James Brown James Brown James Brown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tha cape stuff was a rip and a half, the dancing on one foot, he tore the roof off the joint. Sting referred to this in the lyrics to 'When the World is Running Down...'

I watched some of it last night- James Brown James Brown James Brown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tha cape stuff was a rip and a half, the dancing on one foot, he tore the roof off the joint. Sting referred to this in the lyrics to 'When the World is Running Down...'

James Brown!!!!! is right. And I enjoyed the Stones stuff. Much of the rest of it just comes off as bizarre to me at this late date due to the intrusion of the go-go dancers, who often get much more of the camera than the performers. The James Brown performance, however, is more than worth the price of admission.