Never Have Seen This Thad-Mel Solid State Cover Before!

JSngry

I"ve never seen that cover either, or this one:

56557.jpg

That's the first.

That's the one I've got, bought it ca. 1974-75. Didn't come across the later version until years later (which means nothing, really, because UA had pretty much purged the SS catalog IIRC, and what you found in the mid-70s was "already there"...)

As for the cover in the first post, I don't know its origin. Just came across it online. It looks older, the font & everything, like the Jones/Lewis albums w/Ruth Brown & Joe Williams

I"ve never seen that cover either, or this one:

56557.jpg

That's the first.

That's the one I've got, bought it ca. 1974-75. Didn't come across the later version until years later (which means nothing, really, because UA had pretty much purged the SS catalog IIRC, and what you found in the mid-70s was "already there"...)

As for the cover in the first post, I don't know its origin. Just came across it online. It looks older, the font & everything, like the Jones/Lewis albums w/Ruth Brown & Joe Williams

Missed the Mosaic (dammit), but in my experience, "modern" big band w/o some kind of reverb (even it it's just hall sound) gets pretty claustrophobic pretty fast. Did the SS studio recordings have some kind of natural reverb? Seems like they would, since they don't sound really tightly, inndividually miked.

Did some sampling of the Mosaic, and I'd say that the four-track Vanguard recordings, original engineers either Phil Ramone or Addey, were miked rather closely (no doubt of necessity) and thus when remixed as Cuscana describes above, sound quite clear and have considerable punch (Richard Davis!) but are a tad dry. The following "Central Park North" studio date, recorded in eight track and originally engineered by Don Hahn, pretty much leaps out of the speakers, though I have heard big band recordings that have more room ambience. A&R Studios apparently was not Columbia's 30th St. Studio. Don't have any SS originals to make that sort of comparison.