Conny Bauer w/ William Parker & Hamid Drake

relyles

I caught this trio last night, which is part of the Magic Triangle Jazz Series. I had limited exposure to Bauer before this concert and I came away quite impressed with the range of sounds he can coax from the trombone as well as his virtuosity. For me, Parker and Drake are always a joy to hear. Parker played a variety of instruments as he often does, but the best moments for me were when he played bass and he and Drake locked in to a groove. Overall the trio seems to be listening to each other and reacting off each other very well. They play Roulette in NY tonight and then off to Baltimore and Philadelphia this weekend. Anyone with an appreciation for this kind of music in those areas should definitely make the effoty to get out and hear this group.

Saw them in Baltimore, and while impressed, I thought the relentlessness of it was too much of a good thing.

If the music is right, relentlessness is great!

Hop to that!

Ah, 70 minutes of it it just left me exhausted and looking at my watch towards the end. If it was 50 minutes, it would have been perfect.