Sonny Stitt, "Live at the Left Bank"

This cd just blows me away! I love it. Don Patterson on organ and Billy James on drums.

I've got a few questions: first what the hell is an electric saxophone?? Is this an electric alto? How many other well-known recordings are there with sax players using a similar instrument?

Joel Dorn says in his liner notes that this live music was captured by a home tape recorder. What exactly is that? Dorn says that the recording is good.

Do you guys agree with the assessment? It sounds quite tinny. Also the sax sound is strange but maybe that's because it's electric! Any comments on the recording?

The music is definitely dynamite!

The recording is good considering it was recorded by a non-professional engineer on a home recorder which was probably a consumer model reel-to-reel with one or two cheap microphones.

Sonny was playing the Varitone, which was an attachment that connected to the neck of the horn. It basically was a little mic that sent the saxophone signal to an amp and speaker. The amp also had a octave divider in it so you could get the octave below mixed in with your original amplified tone.

The music is killin' and I don't mind the Varitone. It is ugly the first time you hear it but it gets less and less noticeable as the burnin' commences!!

"Who Can I Turn To?" :tup

This tune is just burnin me up right now. Can't stop playing it.

Dude, I pulled an all-nighter about a year ago (I was copying parts, and I'm not too fast at that), and I had a stack of about 15 CDs out to go through while I worked. THIS mutherclucker ended up in the player for about 6 freakin' hours, just repeating itself over and over and over and over and...

It's not that it's great. It's really not. It's just that it's SO DAMN GOOD!

"Who Can I Turn To?"  :tup

This tune is just burnin me up right now.  Can't stop playing it.

Dude, I pulled an all-nighter about a year ago (I was copying parts, and I'm not too fast at that), and I had a stack of about 15 CDs out to go through while I worked. THIS mutherclucker ended up in the player for about 6 freakin' hours, just repeating itself over and over and over and over and...

It's not that it's great. It's really not. It's just that it's SO DAMN GOOD!

:g:tup

Some people don't like the Varitone but I'm not one of them. The trio on this cd plays with a fiery intensity that I just love. Billy James is rock solid, Sonny just absolutely wails and Don Patterson's playing is like a Randy Johnson fastball in the upper 90's and coming in high and tight. Yow !!!! This CD absolutely rules thank you JSngry for the heads up on this one.

This CD absolutely rules thank you JSngry for the heads up on this one.

Sign of advancing age I suppose, but I need to ask: was it on this board or the Blown Note that I did a thread about this all-time party classic of an album? Not that it matters, but it kinda creeps me out that I can't remember.

Me too.

BTW, Chris Oliverez, I started the thread and not Jim S. :wacko: (even though he knows a lot more about this session than I do.)

Well, we're BOTH right! I came off that all-nighter and went on Blown Note (answer your question, Jim? ;) ) high on Stitt, caffeine, sleep deprivation, and maybe something else, Little Debbie, I think (kids, I'm a trained professional - PLEASE don't attempt this at home without parental supervision) and started a thread about the album called "Instant Party' or something like that. That's what Chris is referring too, I think/hope.

No sweat, though - starting THIS thread is a sure sign of good taste, and good taste is cause for nothing but celebration! ;)

I, too, acted on Jim's recommendation and did not regret my decision one bit. If this album doesn't get your adrenaline flowing, nothing will. I only wish the album didn't end with that fade out of Sonny playing the opening to "C Jam Blues"; it leaves me wanting more, dammit!

Conn what I was alluding to was Jim Sangrey's threard on the Blown Note Bulletin Board-I should have been more specific about that-my bad! Thanks to you for reviving this most pleasant memory I just wish that if Joel Dorn had more that he would've committed more to cd-oh well!

My bad for misinterpreting, Chris.

Didn't Dorn publish other live performances at the Left Bank?

I'vd got the Freddie Hubbard one and there's one with Stan Getz. Anyone heard that one? Is it good?

• 2 weeks later...

i've joined the party! i just got my copy of stitt left bank and i'm loving it! B)

thanks Conn for the recommendation!

Great news, Evan.

I'm still digging this one. So apparently is Jim Sangrey who has been listening to it for a much longer time than I have.

I was listening to it again today and thinking, "Man, this band is TIGHT!"

Once you start digging it, you can't stop. This is not "deep" music (and I mean absolutely nothing derogatory or condescending by saying that) that reveals new secrets (or horrors) with time (althoiugh I think I got to where I could hear some digital manipulations to cover tape flaws. But I'm not sure about that and really don't givea dame anyway). Its charms are immediately apparent, and very, VERY real. That's the beauty of it, and why it makes the perfect party record for the perfect party, one where a great time is had by all without undue effort, ugly confrontation, or awkward inappropriateness.

Granted, not all of life is a party, or should be, but a life without them is not one I'll be living, thank you very much, so why not have the very best?

This side is perfect.