We have a name for our new kitty -- Nikita!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That cat looks like a bad-mutha-shut-yo-mouth so you could call it Shaft but shaft is a dude's name and this cat is a chick so maybe Shafta or even Shaf-tay if your wife is not anally Angloistic.

Actually, Jim, I think you were more right the first time with Shaft. (re: "Li'l Puss")

I think the new cat is a bad-ass. :cool: I think she's gonna end up being the dominant one.

Pepper was 2nd banana to our previous cat, Emily (who we had to have put to sleep). Emily ruled with an iron paw!! :g

We let the cats see each other briefly a little while ago (probably too soon, actually), and it was the NEW cat who pitched more of a fit than Pepper did.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

What do people think of Nikita??

According to Wikipedia...

Nikita is a unisex name, historically male from Russian and related languages. In recent times it has been adopted as female in many countries around the world, particularly France. The male Russian name is derived from the Greek name Aniketos, which means "unconquerable".

From what we've observed, she appears to be one bad-ass cat! She more than stood her ground with our other cat (to put it mildly), and appears to potentially be the new 'alpha cat' of the household.

What, Natasha wasn't a pretty bad-ass spy? :g

Seriously, even if Nikita is considered unisex, I think most people think of it as male. Natasha is undeniably female. And a bad-ass. And I'll bet she wouldn't pound her shoe on the table and say 'we will bury you!'

:g

If you're sticking with the "grey" theme, there are some fun names here.

Cool! This is SO great!! For instance, I just discovered that важный in Russian (probably pronounced "VAHZH-nee" ('zh' sounds like the middle sound in treasure)) means all of these adjectives in English...

1. important

2. significant

3. substantial

4. big

5. great

6. considerable

7. first-rate

8. significative

9. donnish

10. portentous

11. earnest

12. solemn

13. material

14. consequential

15. purposeful

16. responsible

17. high-powered

18. weighty

19. grand

20. serious

21. grave

22. momentous

23. fateful

24. influential

25. newsworthy

26. swaggering

27. basilic

28. of great importance

29. of great moment

30. prancing

31. puffy

For those wondering -- I translated the word "serious" into Russian, picked one of the translations that sorta works as a name ("важный"), and then reverse translated that back from Russian into English (and then got the huge list of English synonyms). My attempt to confirm what "важный" means; obviously a lot of things.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

What do people think of Nikita??

According to Wikipedia...

Nikita is a unisex name, historically male from Russian and related languages. In recent times it has been adopted as female in many countries around the world, particularly France. The male Russian name is derived from the Greek name Aniketos, which means "unconquerable".

From what we've observed, she appears to be one bad-ass cat! She more than stood her ground with our other cat (to put it mildly), and appears to potentially be the new 'alpha cat' of the household.

You want to name your cat after Monday Michiru's son?

Cool!