2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was rather nasty of the NY fans to boo Vasquez yesterday--clearly because they still have not forgiven him for surrendering that grand-slam to Damon in Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS. Get over it! Dave, I'm not so much concerned by his two blown starts as I am by his reaction to said blown starts... hopefully he won't let it mess with his head. Let's see how he's done by the All-Star break IMO. I'm also eager to see how Phil Hughes does over the first half of the season as a starter.

Per other slow starters, following his one breakout game against Tampa Bay, Tex has gone back to being a near-automatic-out in the #3 slot of the order...good thing most of the rest of the lineup is hitting. Eight games in and no HR yet from either Tex or A-Rod, though A-Rod's smacked a few off the wall. Overall, though, a much better start so far than what we did last year.

Dan: John Lackey's certainly living up to expectations in his first two starts. I was sorry that NY didn't pursue him in the offseason... we'll need somebody to replace Pettitte soon, most likely after this season ends.

This from the man who has declared Ortiz cooked, and all on the basis of, approximately 6% of their seasons (two out of 33 starts; 29 out of 500 PAs).

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I see the Red Sox have begun starting Mike Lowell in the DH spot. While this may not definitively indicate that Ortiz is cooked, he's at least browning in the skillet. :rolleyes:

... we'll need somebody to replace Pettitte soon, most likely after this season ends.

Think Cliff Lee.

This from the man who has declared Ortiz cooked, and all on the basis of, approximately 6% of their seasons (two out of 33 starts; 29 out of 500 PAs).

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I see the Red Sox have begun starting Mike Lowell in the DH spot. While this may not definitively indicate that Ortiz is cooked, he's at least browning in the skillet. :rolleyes:

You might do a little more investigating than just glancing at the box score. Francisco Liriano, looking very much like he did in 2006 (he threw seven innings of shut out ball) was the starter. I dare say that Matsui might have sat last year against such a tough lefty. It doesn't take much of a brain to decide to give Lowell a start in those circumstances.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Dan Gould

Per other slow starters, following his one breakout game against Tampa Bay, Tex has gone back to being a near-automatic-out in the #3 slot of the order...good thing most of the rest of the lineup is hitting. Eight games in and no HR yet from either Tex or A-Rod, though A-Rod's smacked a few off the wall. Overall, though, a much better start so far than what we did last year.

Ghost, don't sweat Tex, he always starts slow and winds up around the same numbers every year. His glove is always great.

Sorry to intrude on this American League thread, but the friggin' Cubs gave one away today. :mellow:

For some reason, I never felt that the Cubs would get anywhere with Lou Piniella as manager. The Cubbies seems like a team that needs a calmer touch to it, and Zembrano definitely could benefit from a different style of handling.

... we'll need somebody to replace Pettitte soon, most likely after this season ends.

Think Cliff Lee.

Sigh.

Kinda how we braves fans felt when you got Raul Ibanez, and we got Garrett Anderson. At least we didn't trade him away though! ;)

Jason Heyward numbers as of tonight. .303 3 HR's 12 RBI's, On pace for 54 Hr 216 RBI's, which I think it quite likely! :crazy:

Nice come from behind win for the Washington Internationals (Internats) over Phillies, 7-5. Our closer, Capps, is 4 for 4 in save opportunities, but he gives us heartburn every time he's out there.

I may have said this before, but the Nats are not going to lose 100 games this year. A lot of offense, even without a right fielder. When Stephen Strasburg shows up, man....I am not going to want to face the Nats! :ph34r:

You might do a little more investigating than just glancing at the box score. Francisco Liriano, looking very much like he did in 2006 (he threw seven innings of shut out ball) was the starter. I dare say that Matsui might have sat last year against such a tough lefty. It doesn't take much of a brain to decide to give Lowell a start in those circumstances.

Oh I know that. I was just looking for an excuse to use the "browning in the skillet" line.

Oh I know that. I was just looking for an excuse to use the "browning in the skillet" line.

...which I loved!

Joe Queenan tells it like it is:

I do not object to Yankees fans in principle, so long as they are homegrown, preferably natives of the Bronx or Yonkers. (Yankees fans born in Queens or Brooklyn, it goes without saying, are Iscariots.) But those of us who grew up in fiendishly inbred sports towns like Philadelphia, Cleveland, St. Louis and even Boston cannot stomach the kind of parvenu, out-of-town front-runner who becomes a “die-hard” Yankees fan without any moral, cultural, ethnic, genetic or geographical connection with the team. And like most Americans, I reserve my greatest antipathy for the millions of bogus Yankees fans in the pink or green or red Yankees caps one routinely runs across in London, Rome, Sydney, Stockholm and Mombasa. Or, if driving, runs over.

More here.

I do not object to Yankees fans in principle, so long as they are homegrown, preferably natives of the Bronx or Yonkers. (Yankees fans born in Queens or Brooklyn, it goes without saying, are Iscariots.) But those of us who grew up in fiendishly inbred sports towns like Philadelphia, Cleveland, St. Louis and even Boston cannot stomach the kind of parvenu, out-of-town front-runner who becomes a "die-hard" Yankees fan without any moral, cultural, ethnic, genetic or geographical connection with the team. And like most Americans, I reserve my greatest antipathy for the millions of bogus Yankees fans in the pink or green or red Yankees caps one routinely runs across in London, Rome, Sydney, Stockholm and Mombasa. Or, if driving, runs over.

More here.

Dan, I love you bro, but a Red Sox fan complaining about another teams "out of town fans???????" :rofl:

I do not object to Yankees fans in principle, so long as they are homegrown, preferably natives of the Bronx or Yonkers. (Yankees fans born in Queens or Brooklyn, it goes without saying, are Iscariots.) But those of us who grew up in fiendishly inbred sports towns like Philadelphia, Cleveland, St. Louis and even Boston cannot stomach the kind of parvenu, out-of-town front-runner who becomes a “die-hard” Yankees fan without any moral, cultural, ethnic, genetic or geographical connection with the team. And like most Americans, I reserve my greatest antipathy for the millions of bogus Yankees fans in the pink or green or red Yankees caps one routinely runs across in London, Rome, Sydney, Stockholm and Mombasa. Or, if driving, runs over.

More here.

Hey now, Mr. Ghost is an out of town Yankee fan!

And like most Americans, I reserve my greatest antipathy for the millions of bogus Yankees fans in the pink or green or red Yankees caps one routinely runs across in London, Rome, Sydney, Stockholm and Mombasa. Or, if driving, runs over.

I think the thing about this is that those folks who wear the Yankees logo in those places aren't necessarily fans though. It's a symbol of America, like McDonalds. They wear it for style, not to show they're a fan of the team or even follow baseball at all.

Having feelings of animosity towards them for this reason is basically a huge waste of time.

Edited by Aggie87

More here.

Hey now, Mr. Ghost is an out of town Yankee fan!

And I've explained why here, since it seems to be such a crime against humanity. I've been a fan for going on 36 years now, through some good times and some lean. If Indianapolis ever got a major-league baseball team, I'd be inclined to root for them as well...but it ain't happened and it ain't likely to happen anytime soon.

BTW, as a reader of the late, great SPY Magazine, I also recall Mr. Queenan's "telling it like it is" piece "Jazz: Admit It, It Sucks!"

Edited by ghost of miles

Dan, I love you bro, but a Red Sox fan complaining about another teams "out of town fans???????" :rofl:

You can't throw a rock two inches in the bay area without hitting a skinny stay at home mom w/ bad blond dye job blocking the sidewalk with a double wide baby stroller holding a frapachino or a frat boy duche bag in a Red Sox hat here. Its awful.

We will see what the Giants are made of here soon as they play the Dodgers, Padres (whom they couldn't beat last year for some reason), Cardinals, Philies and Rockies in the next two weeks.

And I've explained why here, since it seems to be such a crime against humanity. I've been a fan for going on 36 years now, through some good times and some lean.

Ghost & I had similar Midwestern upbringings at roughly the same time (I'm pretty sure I'm a wee bit older, based on his card memories ;) ) and I must say if you're a kid who has read about the great New York Yankees, but open up a pack of cards and this is the starting 2nd baseman

post-377-12714407447_thumb.jpg

you are not a front runner but you're getting in at the floor. :)

Though I must say, Horace looks pretty rad in that card. The card from the year before is more woeful.