2010 MLB Season

They are royally fucked and don't stand a chance in hell.

Which is why I am happy I never paid the $100 for MLB.TV and will be spending plenty of time doing other things rather than following a flawed team give tiny, doomed glimpses of hope they might make it to October.

Here's my prediction: They never get higher than 5 games over .500, and they finish with 83 wins.

Tough first couple of months, no doubt. But positive signs are beginning to appear -- Dice K flirting with a no-hitter against the mighty Phillies, taking 2-of-3 at Philly, beating a pretty good Twins team before that. If they can win a couple in St. Pete and get a little Mo-Jo going, and the Yankees continue to struggle, who knows? The real fly in the ointment is Toronto. Just get past them and wave at the Yankees as they continue to fall past you, next thing you know you're within striking distance.

The Rays are going to hit a bad stretch at some point. The pitching staff is just not going to be able to maintain this pace. Price really struggled Sunday in Houston (Houston!) but still got the win, incredibly.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.

So...um.

What is the deal with the Giants?

The A's can pitch dude. Good young rotation and some studs in the bullpen. The defense and hitting = not so good. They desperately need a automatic 25 hr - 90 rbi in the lineup.

Maybe they can package Sheets, Raja Davis and Barton and get something like that in return. Small ball for now is sort of working for them.

I think the Giants will come around but I don't like the way so many games feel like last year for them.

The Yanks are playing like cellar-dwellers right now, with Toronto and Boston both breathing down their backs. Granderson's doing rehab at the AAA team and should be back soon... however, that alone won't resolve all of the woes that have afflicted NY of late. Posters over at Pinstripe Alley are already starting to console themselves by saying, "Well, we're leading the wild-card standings..." almost as if they're already thinking that there's little chance we'll ever catch Tampa Bay this season. A lot of games with them at the end of the season, though; hopefully NY will be in a good groove come September.

On another note: John Fogerty talks about the origins of his song"Centerfield"

Trivia Time! I came across one player that I didn't realize started playing in the majors in the 80's

I know of 3 players that came up in 1989 or earlier. There might be more, who knows? Anyway, any guesses???

Jamie Moyer is the obvious first guess. I think Omar Vizqel and Junior Griffey are two others.

Another great Tribe start by Mitch Talbot, 7IP, 6H, 2ER, 4K, 0BB and the team only needed 2:16 to beat Jake Peavy and the WSox. Talbot, now 6-3, is a rare bright spot on the Indians pitching staff.

Trivia Time! I came across one player that I didn't realize started playing in the majors in the 80's

I know of 3 players that came up in 1989 or earlier. There might be more, who knows? Anyway, any guesses???

Jamie Moyer is the obvious first guess. I think Omar Vizqel and Junior Griffey are two others.

Another great Tribe start by Mitch Talbot, 7IP, 6H, 2ER, 4K, 0BB and the team only needed 2:16 to beat Jake Peavy and the WSox. Talbot, now 6-3, is a rare bright spot on the Indians pitching staff.

:party: Very good! I just happened to read something about Vizquel (saying he may retire at the end of the year if he doesn't hit) and saw that he played in 1989.

I mentioned this to a friend at dinner, name 2 people that played in the 80's and he mentioned Moyer and Griffey! Oops, forgot about him! I think most folks would think of Griffey and Moyer, but would forget Vizquel.

Is there anyone else????

:party: Very good! I just happened to read something about Vizquel (saying he may retire at the end of the year if he doesn't hit) and saw that he played in 1989.

I mentioned this to a friend at dinner, name 2 people that played in the 80's and he mentioned Moyer and Griffey! Oops, forgot about him! I think most folks would think of Griffey and Moyer, but would forget Vizquel.

Is there anyone else????

Playing for Seattle is like a swig from the Fountain of Youth. Something else might be in the water as now Bradley has happy feet. He did a dugout victory lap during the game last night that's hard to explain, but it's better than having him pout.

Dan's reverse jinx on BoSox is working very well.

Dan's reverse jinx on BoSox is working very well.

It sure is! Did I mention the Braves are back to sucking, and that they are a completely worthless sac of shit team, not worthy of wasting any time watching??? :excited:

They should send that Heyward guy to the minors too. ;)

OK.

So...um.

You'll face the Astros again in the 3rd week in June. Otherwise, who knows.

Good point.

They beat the Nats last night, though.

OK.

So...um.

The A's can pitch dude. Good young rotation and some studs in the bullpen. The defense and hitting = not so good. They desperately need a automatic 25 hr - 90 rbi in the lineup.

Maybe they can package Sheets, Raja Davis and Barton and get something like that in return. Small ball for now is sort of working for them.

I think the Giants will come around but I don't like the way so many games feel like last year for them.

True dat.

The Gigantes need a big bat in the line-up. They get the hits, but not the runs scored.

The Yankees don't seem to have any problems against the Twins taking the first two in our own ball park. I think I've just seen the rest of the Twins season played out. We'll do well this season, have a great shot at winning the division and then lose to the Yankees in the first round of the playoffs.

If they can win a couple in St. Pete and get a little Mo-Jo going, and the Yankees continue to struggle, who knows? The real fly in the ointment is Toronto. Just get past them and wave at the Yankees as they continue to fall past you, next thing you know you're within striking distance.

The Rays are going to hit a bad stretch at some point. The pitching staff is just not going to be able to maintain this pace.

:w

Red Sox are now 1 1/2 games out of the wild card slot.

Ahead of Toronto ...

OK.

So...um.

You'll face the Astros again in the 3rd week in June. Otherwise, who knows.

Good point.

They beat the Nats last night, though.

I'm happy for It Should Be You as the Nats are looking good. Nice to have a fresh team to discuss here. Last time I paid any serious attention to them they were the Expos and had Larry Walker, Vlad and so forth. The vibe I get is sorta of like Tampa about the year before they broke out. It's a very weird thing to wrap your head around, but it could happen. Or at least as a wild card, given how tough the Phils are. (See Beri, I'm maintaining the Braves reverse jinx for ya.)

Edited by Quincy

2 games in a row where the Mariners score 5 runs! They've had a 1968 offense so 5 runs feels like 10. Figgins still is under .200 (OBP barely over .300) but old man Sweeney is in "pure hitter" mode. I haven't given up yet though Texas looks very good, maybe even good enough to surprise an Eastern team as long as Kinsler and everybody is healthy. And Oakland is insane with the great staff they have. Anderson is coming back and aside from Mr. Perfect Game, Gio Goazalez may not be consistent this year, but looks like he could be seriously great by next year. How do they find these guys? So in the spirit of the board and reverse jinx mojo, it's over for Seattle, Ichiro is overrated, and Felix gets traded to the Yanks before August. (Diabolically rubs hands and books a hotel room in SEA for October.) :lol:

The Phillies have been on vacation the past 9 games. Split 2 game series at home vs. the Pirates and the Cubs. If that wasn't bad enough they came within a whisker of getting no-noed at home against a pitcher who came into the game w/ an ERA north of 7.00. Then they lost the next night to a guy who hadn't won a game since last July. But wait it gets better. They've been shut out by the Mets two games IN A ROW. The Mets.

And then this little nugget just got tweeted....

LA Times says Dodgers have inquired on Cliff Lee.

FISH STICKS!!

If they can win a couple in St. Pete and get a little Mo-Jo going, and the Yankees continue to struggle, who knows? The real fly in the ointment is Toronto. Just get past them and wave at the Yankees as they continue to fall past you, next thing you know you're within striking distance.

The Rays are going to hit a bad stretch at some point. The pitching staff is just not going to be able to maintain this pace.

:w

Red Sox are now 1 1/2 games out of the wild card slot.

Ahead of Toronto ...

Pitching and Defense......

2 games in a row where the Mariners score 5 runs! They've had a 1968 offense so 5 runs feels like 10. Figgins still is under .200 (OBP barely over .300) but old man Sweeney is in "pure hitter" mode. I haven't given up yet though Texas looks very good, maybe even good enough to surprise an Eastern team as long as Kinsler and everybody is healthy. And Oakland is insane with the great staff they have. Anderson is coming back and aside from Mr. Perfect Game, Gio Goazalez may not be consistent this year, but looks like he could be seriously great by next year. How do they find these guys? So in the spirit of the board and reverse jinx mojo, it's over for Seattle, Ichiro is overrated, and Felix gets traded to the Yanks before August. (Diabolically rubs hands and books a hotel room in SEA for October.) :lol:

The AL West is still up for grabs, as we all know that Texas summer heat wears down a pitching staff. They are the favorites right now but its only May.

Hoping that the A's pitching staff can keep them in enough games were they can stay in race till Sept.

Edited by WorldB3

Go figure! The Nationals lose to the Giants' Wellemeyer on Tuesday, but they beat Lincecum on Wednesday. Hope our bats are waking up. Tough road trip against the Giants, Padres, and Astros might sink us below .500 for good.

Isn't it frustrating to see the Nats play games with Stephen Strasburg??? They never came out and said he wouldn't pitch the 4th, but it sounds like (from what I just read in the Washington Post) he won't til the 8th.

Like he needs more seasoning. He can't work on pickoffs, etc without anyone on base. Mike Leak has half his stuff and didn't need a minute in the minors. And does anyone think Strausburg looks "different" on the mound??? I sure hope it's the camera angles in the minors, but it looks like they "fixed" something in his motion. Doesn't look as fluid to me.

Sportswriter Jeff Passan just tweeted this re: Joe West:

Source: Umpire Joe West to face discipline from MLB. Punishment will be suspension or fine. Umpires union and MLB talking about severity.

Honesty, I really dislike ol' Country Joe, but those were both arguably balks. Granted , he has pitched that way his whole career...still....

Sportswriter Jeff Passan just tweeted this re: Joe West:

Source: Umpire Joe West to face discipline from MLB. Punishment will be suspension or fine. Umpires union and MLB talking about severity.

Honesty, I really dislike ol' Country Joe, but those were both arguably balks. Granted , he has pitched that way his whole career...still....

"Country Joe"??? You mean "Cowboy Joe". He should have been fired YEARS ago.