2010 MLB Season

So much of the talk has been about "justice." I'm not completely opposed to the idea of replay but I don't think the NFL model is great. (I don't believe that 72 second stat at all btw. NFW.)

Posnanski addresses this with they psychology of the replay in the NFL and I've noticed the same thing. It used to be if a guy ran back a kickoff return for a TD (or some other big exciting play) you looked around for a yellow flag, look look look, and if you didn't see one then you celebrated. Now it's like an episode of Lost where you can't believe anyone is dead, cause they might come back in another dimension. There's the yellow flag, then the red one to get through. You wait for the start of the next play to be completely sure what you saw counts. Is "justice" served when you can avoid the red flag by going no huddle and calling a quick play? So in baseball anytime there's a questionable call and the manager of the hitting team is slow, have the pitcher throw a quick pitch. At least if you're going to follow the NFL model…

Where review won't help much:

A fair ball that is initially called foul. What are you gonna do, say "Ghost (not of Miles) ;) runner on 1st would have made it to third, but the batter is too fat so he's only on 1st."

A ball hit to an outfielder that is called an out when it's trapped. What happens here? Runners move up one? Two? Give the batter a "do over" from that point in the count?

So that leaves it pretty much to plays at the bases, and even then it can get messy. There are those compound plays involving throws to one base and then another. So the ump blows one end of a DP and then there's a throwing error, now what happens? You get the idea.

If you have the use of replay, do we allow "neighborhood plays" by infielders anymore? Part of the reason for allowing it is that a man's ankle & knee tendons & ligaments are deemed more important than an out in 1/162nd of the season. But if you want the precision of replays, why allow neighborhood plays? This is a diversion on my part perhaps and maybe not related at all, but perhaps so in the conversation of rules & justice.

Here's an idea, rather than have the strike zone be tip of the penis to the ankles why not call it nips to knees, armpits to knees, whatever it actually is in the rule book? Just a thought.

1, 2 or 3 manager challenges is sloppy & half-ass. If you want to get it right you'll need a Sun King in the both who can press a button that blurts out the equivalent of "Hold on here Wilburrrr…" Which means outcomes you see that are the least bit close become a moment where you think "oh, this might be reviewed." So you'll get a partial attempt at fairly called game, but the price will be the pause of wondering if a play is going to be overturned (and perhaps if your team can "quick pitch" to avoid it.) A wrong call sucks, but (massive cliche warning) they tend to even out over a season, and at least you know when the ump says "out" the player is out, move on to the next play. I guess some have no problem with a challenge system, I just don't aspire to see my favorite sport emulate the NFL. If you want replay do it better, but accept the fact that it's baseball, and some things just can't be wrapped up neatly.

Edited by Quincy

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I get it, you want him to not become the next Mark Prior(Who had much better mechanics than Strasburg)

I haven't watched Strasburg enough but Prior had appalling mechanics, with the obvious problem being the way his elbow rose above his shoulder, creating an inverted "W". I didn't know it til after he destroyed his career, but that's a major predictor of bad arm injuries for pitchers.

MarkPrior_USC_3B_001_Large_28.jpg

More here.

Yeah, I get it, you want him to not become the next Mark Prior(Who had much better mechanics than Strasburg)

I haven't watched Strasburg enough but Prior had appalling mechanics, with the obvious problem being the way his elbow rose above his shoulder, creating an inverted "W". I didn't know it til after he destroyed his career, but that's a major predictor of bad arm injuries for pitchers.

MarkPrior_USC_3B_001_Large_28.jpg

More here.

Heh, that's really funny, cuz ESPN talked to Strasburg about the M, or inverted W a few weeks ago. I also read something comparing the two a few weeks back, and how great Prior's mechanics were....can't find that right now. Thought it was either linked via mlbtradrumors, or ESPN , but can't find it now.

Another game against a good team? Another loss for the Yankees. Another quality start from Andy Pettitte? Another wasted effort. Someone in that organization had better start asking some hard questions as to why these guys can't compete with anyone playing better than .500 ball. If the Yankees weren't able to fatten up on the likes of the Orioles and Indians, they would be in a world of hurt.

What's interesting is that the Yanks hadn't even faced the Jays til Friday (while the Jays have had two series each against the Rays and Red Sox). So they have a helluva lot of games left to go against them. The Yanks can't afford to play the Jays like they did Baltimore a couple of seasons ago. At least the Yanks have Baltimore and Houston coming up, and they aren't losing ground to the Rays since they've been beated twice by the Rangers.

Here are some interesting stats as we enter today's games with the top four teams in the AL East within 3.5 games of each other:

Those top 4 also make up the highest run scoring offenses in the game.

Red Sox 311

Yankees 310

Jays 292

Rays 287

First observation is that the worries about the Red Sox offense were completely misplaced. They've scored the most runs in the league and they've done it with essentially zero contribution from Ellsbury and Cameron, and a career minor leaguer getting most of the starts in CF.

Second observation is that they still don't have a chance in hell unless the pitching performs up to expectations. Lester, Buchholz, Papelbon, Bard and MDC alone won't do it. Lackey has to pitch like an ace, a stopper, not just a guy who keeps his team in the game. And Beckett has got to be ready to roll when he does come back, which is now looking like the ASB. Wakefield is officially killing us, and Dice-K only kills us every other game.

Runs allowed for those four teams tells the story:

1. Rays - 202

3. Yankees - 225

6. Jays - 242

9. Red Sox - 270

Really, when you get down to it, the Red Sox are lucky to be in position to have a shot, given their run differential in comparison to the other three teams.

Is it remotely possible that there could be two teams in the AL East with 90-93 wins and nowhere to go in October? And could the third and fourth place teams have better records than the rest of the league, or at least one of the other division winners? The uneven schedule argues against it, but if everybody plays everyone else tough, the performance against Baltimore and the rest of the league will make the difference.

As I mentioned before, the Kevin Gregg factor should count out the Jays, but right now it doesn't look like they are going to fade anytime soon.

Rays offense is more often than not anemic lately. From today's St. Petersburg Times:

ARLINGTON, Texas — The move can be defended with data, statistics showing that Rays manager Joe Maddon's surprising decision to move rookie catcher John Jaso to the leadoff spot was actually a logical progression of thought.

But it can be perceived as an act of desperation, his latest and most extreme attempt to invigorate an offense that has become inconsistent and too many times, as again in Saturday's 6-1 loss to Texas, stunningly ineffective.

It was the 40th lineup Maddon has used in 56 games, and he plans to stick with the plan (against right-handers), though the initial results were hardly encouraging. Jaso went 0-for-4 and the Rays got five hits total against Tommy Hunter in his season debut and were 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position.

A rookie catcher hitting leadoff in the 40th different lineup in 56 games. This does not sound like a formula for long-term success.

But there is a lot of talent with a track record, especially in the infield at 2B, 3B and 1Band LF. The one guy that needs to get his act together is Upton, who is officially turning into a disappointment. But the C from the Indians should provide some power when he's ready to start. I don't think a rough patch equates to being an insufficient offense. And for all the supposed trouble, they are fourth in the majors in runs scored (just happen to be fourth in the division, too).

Plus Maddon thinks he's as smart as LaRussa, and his lineup changes probably have a lot to do with it. If he could figure out how to bat the pitcher 8th, he would. :g

Mark Texiera struck out five times yesterday and he's 0-3 so far today. Either other teams have figured out how to neutralize him or he's mired in the queen mother of all batting slumps. I just wonder how long the Yanks can afford to leave such an unproductive hitter in the three hole.

The woeful Yankees are about to drop another to the Jays. Javier Vazquez had a no-hitter going through five and then hung a curve to Vernon Wells with a runner on first. Presto, it's 2-0 and with the failure of the Yankee bats to put in an appearance again today, it looks like they're about to get swept. They next face Baltimore (losers of 10 in a row) and then the hapless Houston Astros in the second round of interleague play, so I suppose they'll get healthy again win-wise, but it still doesn't make their inability to win against top competition any less of a problem.

Edited by Dave James

At least they pulled it out, Dave, and Javy had another strong outing, putting aside said bad pitch. Very good 8th inning comeback from the Yanks, and even if A-Rod didn't come through for once after an IBB to Tex, it still led indirectly to the tying run (the wild pitch while A-Rod was batting) and the NY runners moving into a position from which Cano was able to knock them both in. Joba kept it interesting again, didn't he? Still, one run given up is better than five... glad we didn't get swept on the road. I'd be curious to look at a team split for hitting on the road vs. at home...sure seems like the offense tends to go silent whenever we're away from Yankee Stadium these days.

Dan, I think there's an excellent chance that we'll have 4 AL East teams with 90 wins or more by the end of the season.

Edited by ghost of miles

Mets continue with best home record. Trouble is that on the other side of the ledger they have the worst road record. They could be half dangerous if they could just win an occasional road series.

Edited by Brad

Mets continue with best home record. Trouble is that on the other side of the ledger they have the worst road record. They could be half dangerous if they could just win an occasional road series.

Well, at one point this year, the Braves were 5-14 on the road, and turned it around, you just never know.

Speaking of never knowing. Frenchy! I think he was hitting .211 at his lowest point, and looked like he might become a 4th outfielder when Beltran comes back. Next thing you know, he's hitting .268!

I just wish someone could show him the stats on strikes thrown to him with 2 strikes. I bet not one in ten pitches would be a called strike.

Are we all going to be parked in front of the TV (or monitor) to catch the big debut tonight? I believe its on MLB Network. And Conrad, I think you're right that his mechanics are a great big warning sign:

yNATIONALS-sfSpan.jpg

I hope the Nats savior doesn't suffer the same fate that Prior did. But they look like mirror images.

Well, at one point this year, the Braves were 5-14 on the road, and turned it around, you just never know.

Speaking of never knowing. Frenchy! I think he was hitting .211 at his lowest point, and looked like he might become a 4th outfielder when Beltran comes back. Next thing you know, he's hitting .268!

I just wish someone could show him the stats on strikes thrown to him with 2 strikes. I bet not one in ten pitches would be a called strike.

I was ready to write him off also, particularly when his average sank to about .211, figuring that Angel Pagan, who has played well this year, would become the right fielder when Beltran returns but he has been torrid lately. He was dropped into 7th or 8th in the batting order and it seems to be working for him. I guess the question will be who plays right field.

Are we all going to be parked in front of the TV (or monitor) to catch the big debut tonight? I believe its on MLB Network. And Conrad, I think you're right that his mechanics are a great big warning sign:

yNATIONALS-sfSpan.jpg

I hope the Nats savior doesn't suffer the same fate that Prior did. But they look like mirror images.

Am I alone in thinking that the Nats are rushing him to the big leagues too soon?

Short answer: Yes.

Slightly longer answer: He's dominated in AA and AAA. Some thought he should have left camp with the club. And, we'll soon find out. ;)

Say, would you mind keeping the bats in storage this weekend? We are sending up Lackey, Dice and Wake, and they are a pretty good slump-busting group. Certainly Dice is due for a stinker (and maybe Wake is due for a good 'un but I am kinda doubtful he has many of those left) and Lackey has been barely league average. Thanks for your cooperation.

To throw 98 or better, and follow up with that yacker, is just sick.

A 12 to 6 yacker to boot. His fastball topped out at 99MPH and his curve is in the high 70's to low '80's. Unhittable stuff. I know the Pirates aren't much better than a good Triple A team, but Strasberg is making them look like they're in the Arizona instructional league.