2010 MLB Season

Conrad, are you aware that since the date I gave the reverse-jinx to the Red Sox they are 18-7, .720 and since you tried to capture the same mojo with the Braves, Atlanta is 16-6, .727? The Sox have gone 6-0-2 in series since then, and Atlanta is 5-0-2!

I expect the two Davids to try to catch some of the same magic soon but the reverse-jinx don't work for no stinkin' empire. :crazy:

Edited by Dan Gould

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paps, what is it the Rays need??? Just for Upton to start hitting???

Some correct calls by the umps every now and then would help ... :P

But everybody could say that.

I dunno. They seem real hot and cold, and not winning enough home games (18-15). Upton is not real disciplined at the plate. From what I've seen, I really like Rodriguez and Brignac though.

Hopefully they'll be able to get their shit together at home a little more and make a three-team race of it through the summer.

The thing I'm loving about baseball this year is all the really talented young players who are emerging, like Heyward.

And Dan, that reverse hex is working beautifully. So, I say the Rays are going to fade fast and the Sox are going to run away with the division! :excited:

Well, let's see--another night of June baseball and...another fine effort by a Yankee starter gone to waste, another pitiful showing from the Yankee bats, another sad NY bullpen performance that makes a close game not so close, and...another loss to a team with a better-than-.500 record! <_< Tampa Bay lost too, so Boston (off tonight) is now 1.5 games back of both teams.

Tampa Bay lost too, so Boston (off tonight) is now 1.5 games back of both teams.

:blink::wacko:

Off on a Friday night? You didn't notice any of the "Manny returns to Fenway" stories? In reality the Red Sox won 10-6 over the Dodgers (you're welcome, Goodie) and sit just 1 game back, even in the win column. Papi hit #15, the 22 year old rookie was good enough, Manny did not get the Damon treatment (sounded about 50-50 cheers and boos) but he did thrill the home crowd when his knees buckled on a called third strike slider from Bard which ended the game.

Now the Yankees get Pelfrey and his 2.39 ERA then Santana on Sunday.

Tampa Bay lost too, so Boston (off tonight) is now 1.5 games back of both teams.

Off on a Friday night? You didn't notice any of the "Manny returns to Fenway" stories?

That's weird--there was no line for Boston in the box-scores on Yahoo last night when I checked.

EDIT: man, that's really weird. My computer was clipping off about half of the Yahoo scoreboard games last night, including Bosox-Dodgers. I was at work (had to come in and do some programming on the fly, as we had a whole hour-long file go missing) and wasn't able to do the usual tracking via GameDay.

Edited by ghost of miles

So how do most fans on this thread follow the games? Via GameDay Audio (which is a really great deal at $19.95), or via MLB.TV, or other?

I have MLB.tv, as I travel a lot, it's easier to keep track of things, the condensed games are very cool.

I Googled around a bit but haven't found anything yet to confirm his next start--but the Nats play every day between now and then, so in a normal rotation that's when his turn would come up next. Not sure if whatever "Strasburg rules" the Nats are using would involve skipping him a turn now and then or not at this point, but I seriously doubt they'd want to skip a home-game start, given what a draw he is. The official Nats site doesn't have any probable pitchers listed beyond today's game.

Edited by ghost of miles

Yeah, when I saw it was 3-1 I had high hopes but in a little league field, what are the chances of keeping it in the yard very long? This puts a little pressure on the Rays but they are probably feeling it already, considering they get Josh Johnson on Sunday. And do Yankee fans worry a bit about Hughes coming back to earth? They flashed a stat that wasn't too encouraging with an ERA near 5 in his last six starts or something like that. He had as many wins as when his ERA was under 2 but obviously he's getting some run support and he isn't quite blowing people anyway for a while now.

Ah, but Reyes' two dingers were both to right field as well! That second one, the two-run one, just barely cleared the fence.

Yeah, Hughes has not been as dominant of late--plus he has an innings limit (supposedly in the 165 range). Not sure what they'll do when he hits it--move him to the pen? (God knows we could use a 2009 Phil Hughes type there in the postseason--well, a reliever who pitched like Hughes did out of the pen during the regular season last year...his postseason was actually abysmal, iirc.) At his current rate he'll hit it in late August, unless they start periodically skipping his turn or letting him pitch only 5 innings.

I'm not sure that the rest of our rotation is as fearsome as it might look on paper. CC is struggling, although he's generally a better pitcher in the second half. A.J. is generally pitching very well at home and terribly on the road. Andy Pettitte is having a great year, but I worry about how well he'll hold up down the stretch now that he's turned 38. And Javy has been pitching quite well for the past few weeks... hopefully he can sustain that after his grisly beginning.

Dan, thought you might appreciate this tweet by the Boston Globe's Pete Abraham:

McCarver said on Fox it has been "years" since the #RedSox hit their outfielders 7-8-9. Actually, today is the 16th time this season.

The Fox & ESPN announcers are just terrible -- guys, sometimes less talk is better....

So how do most fans on this thread follow the games? Via GameDay Audio (which is a really great deal at $19.95), or via MLB.TV, or other?

iPhone/iPod ap for $15. Give you the audio along with video highlights, so it covers the bases (urgh!) nicely.

The Phillies just continue to find new ways to lose. Today they had a 5 run lead heading in to the 9th at home and lost 10-9 in 10 innings.

Whoops. I heard wrong. It's 10 all in the 11th. Not looking good w/ men on 2nd & 3rd for the Twins.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Dan, thought you might appreciate this tweet by the Boston Globe's Pete Abraham:

McCarver said on Fox it has been "years" since the #RedSox hit their outfielders 7-8-9. Actually, today is the 16th time this season.

The Fox & ESPN announcers are just terrible -- guys, sometimes less talk is better....

Well you can't really expect McCarver to know that there have been so many injuries to the outfield that batting them 7-8-9 might have happened before. I mean its not like its his job or anything.

As for tonight, I guess when you're hot you're hot. Now we'll see if Tampa can keep pace.

Well you can't really expect McCarver to know that there have been so many injuries to the outfield that batting them 7-8-9 might have happened before. I mean its not like its his job or anything.

As for tonight, I guess when you're hot you're hot. Now we'll see if Tampa can keep pace.

McCarver job is to remind everyone that:

1. He used to play in the Big leagues.

2. He caught Bob Gibson.

3. He caught Steve Carlton.

4. He's the smartest man in the game.

Come to think about it, 1-4 are also Joe Morgan's job.....:rolleyes:

Edited by Matthew