2010 MLB Season

OTOH, Jimenez did leave the park early yesterday with some illness, so maybe we'll catch a break and he'll be skipped tonight. Germs, go to work!

Way to add 0.45 to a guy's ERA there. The kid is almost a commoner now, with a stinkin' 1.60. :P

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe it myself and its been kind of flukish anyway. Two out double by folk hero Daniel Nava scored the first two runs, then Nava knocked in Beltre with another double, followed by a Darnell McDonald homer, a Lackey double and a Scutaro single that chased Jiminez.

Its certainly taking the sting out of the College World Series, where my Seminoles turned a 7-3 lead in the eighth into an 11-7 deficit. Horrific. At least they eliminated the Gators but this will be 21 appearances without a win, adding to a record no one wants.

Obviously I don't have a fucking clue what the meaning of "horrific" is. Papelbon is a fucking piece of shit, and now its the Yankees building a lead in the division. And Matzu-SUCKA goes tonight to avert a sweep. Sweep ensured. Now its time to give back about half of what they accomplished. By the ASB, they'll be about 6 games back, behind Tampa, and about 8 games over .500.

Hey, I'm excited -- Seattle now only has the fourth worse record in the AL. So things are improving. At least the Giants are staying close...

PS:

Q. How many Mariner fans does it take to change a light bulb?

A. None. They just sit back and watch in horror as Don Wakamatsu removes the broken light bulb and then pencils it into the lineup as a DH.

Edited by Matthew

Hey, I'm excited -- Seattle now only has the fourth worse record in the AL. So things are improving. At least the Giants are staying close...

PS:

Q. How many Mariner fans does it take to change a light bulb?

A. None. They just sit back and watch in horror as Don Wakamatsu removes the broken light bulb and then pencils it into the lineup as a DH.

Hi-ooooooooooooh! :)

I had noticed that the M's had gone 7-3 in their last 10, the looked again at the # of games back (13 this morning) and thought, yeah, 2 great pitchers sure are the key to success. Kind of hard to make up ground when Texas has won 10 in a row. Searching for the least bit of good news they are a winning team at home, which when you're as bad as the M's are is a little unusual. However this just means they really stink up the joint when on the road.

Dan, I genuinely felt for you last night--last time I checked on the game, Bard had just closed out the 8th, and I assumed it was over. When I checked back not long after I actually let out a groan--even if the Bosox are NY's biggest rivals, that was a monumental achievement to hit Jimenez so well...and I've witnessed too many NY bullpen meltdowns myself this year to know how aggravating it is to lose a game in that manner. Still, isn't that only Papelbon's second blown save this year (the other one a somewhat similar implosion against the Yanks).

Re: the New York-Arizona game, I finally had to go to bed last night around 1:10 a.m. after the Yankees tied it in the top of the 9th. Turned on ESPN this a.m. and saw the highlights of what the NY Times rightfully called a very sloppy win--but what a Houdini act by Mo! And he actually had to bat, too, after Granderson hit the go-ahead HR in the top of the 10th. (Inducing much laughter among the Yanks and Mo himself--it was only the fourth AB of his major-league career.) I was looking over the comments at Pinstripe Alley, and people started sinking into despair after Mo gave up the two hits to start off the bottom of the 10th, along the lines of "What is it with Mo and Arizona?" (Lots and lots of Game 7 2001 talk from media folk throughout this series.) But this time he pitched out of a bases-loaded, no-outs jam:

Mo's magic act

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe had a pretty funny tweet:

How many #Yankees fans just said, "Oh sure, NOW he gets the save in Arizona." Be honest.
Edited by ghost of miles

Wild win for your team, Dan! Another one I had to sign off on without knowing the conclusion--when I went to bed, Boston was up by 2 and Colorado was threatening in the bottom of the 9th.

In the NY corner, lots of media drama this weekend with the matchup against Joe Torre's Dodgers. Hughes is being skipped, so CC will be on the mound tonight...I'm just hoping we can take 2 of 3.

What the hell is the D-Back manager doing? Edwin Jackson was at 98 pitches heading into the seventh, with a 7 walk no-hitter going. Now he's over 130 through 8. WTF? Does he have a picture of his manager screwing a dog and he's using that to force him to let him try to finish this? And if I'm not mistaken, didn't they trade some pretty good talent to get the young pitcher? When his arm falls off in July and he sees Dr. Jobe or Dr Andrews, what will they say then?

Unbelievable.

Coming into tonight's game Placido Palanco had hit into 5 double plays in 255 at bats. Tonight he hit into 3. WTF?

Edwin Jackson pitching against his former team the Rays tonight - through eight 0 hits, 7 BB, & 134 pitches.

Jackson comes out to start the 9th.....

Strikes out Upton on 3 pitches to start the 9th!

Blalock flies out to left for the 2nd out.....

Willy Aybar is Tampa's last hope....

Aybar walks.

Bartlett is behind 0-2 in the count...

He grounds out to the SS. Game over!!!!!!!! WAHOO!!!

Jackson's line for the night - 9.0, 0 Hits, 0 Runs, 8 BB, 6 K, 149 Pitches.

150 pitches in a game in which you give up 8 walks - that's just crazy. I know Arizona is going nowhere but an 8 BB no-hitter? I think there are different types of no-hitters. When you walk that many and pitch so inefficiently, you shouldn't be out there. Its called a staff no-hitter. I hope he doesn't suffer for having insisted on this chance at a fleeting moment of glory.

According to one of the news stories I just read, A.J. Burnett holds the record for most walks surrendered while pitching a no-hitter--9.

So it's not even the All-Star break yet and we've already had 4 MLB no-hitters. :blink: (And would've had 5 if Jim Joyce hadn't blown the call in the Detroit game.) Is that a record for a single season?

EDIT: NY Times says the record for most no-hitters in an MBL season is 7, set in 1990 and tied in 1991.

Edited by ghost of miles

Pedroia fouled one off his foot last night, left in an aircast and returned today to find that his foot is broken. No timetable for a return, surgery not ruled out.

Its over and finished. So I am going to hope that the Rays get it together and the Rangers make that trade for Cliff Lee so they will finally have the firepower to beat the MFAL* Yankees, especially in a five game series.

* acronym explained on request

The line on A.J. through 3 innings so far in L.A. tonight: 5 hits, 5 walks, 5 ER given up, pitch count already at 73. He's making early-season Javy look like an ace!

EDIT: Girardi let A.J. bat in the top of the 4th with runners at 1st and 3rd and 1 out, then yanked him after giving up two singles to start the bottom of the 4th. Given how awful A.J. had been tonight, esp. in the 3rd, I sure would have been tempted to pinch-hit for him in that situation.

Edited by ghost of miles

Pedroia fouled one off his foot last night, left in an aircast and returned today to find that his foot is broken. No timetable for a return, surgery not ruled out.

Its over and finished. So I am going to hope that the Rays get it together and the Rangers make that trade for Cliff Lee so they will finally have the firepower to beat the MFAL* Yankees, especially in a five game series.

Ah damn, you have my sympathies. While I'm not a Red Sox I have the utmost admiration for Pedroia and how he plays. No disrespect to Youk or others but I think he is the last guy you want to lose.

It sure is different to see the Rangers in play for a mid-season acquisition. I wouldn't mind seeing them putting Lee to better use than Seattle. Oakland has had a great deal of success historically (though it's a bit rough if you're in your young 20s I suppose) ;) and the Angels are still the enemy, so I could hop on the bandwagon for a Ranger World Series appearance for 2010.

Ah damn, you have my sympathies. While I'm not a Red Sox I have the utmost admiration for Pedroia and how he plays. No disrespect to Youk or others but I think he is the last guy you want to lose.

Its just brutal. Cardafo is reporting 6 weeks. And they wore out the bullpen today because Buchholz pulled up lame trying to run the bases! Fucking interleague bullshit. Hyperextended left knee - who knows if he'll miss a start or not.

B - R - U - T - A - L

The line on A.J. through 3 innings so far in L.A. tonight: 5 hits, 5 walks, 5 ER given up, pitch count already at 73. He's making early-season Javy look like an ace!

EDIT: Girardi let A.J. bat in the top of the 4th with runners at 1st and 3rd and 1 out, then yanked him after giving up two singles to start the bottom of the 4th. Given how awful A.J. had been tonight, esp. in the 3rd, I sure would have been tempted to pinch-hit for him in that situation.

"Tempted"???!!!! He definitely should have been pinch-hit for. He had already given up two leads, obviously he was lacking command of his pitches and furthermore the Yanks are behind with men on 1st and 3rd, one out. JG then decides to send AJ up to simply bunt the man on 1st to 2nd, giving up a 2nd key out? Ridiculous.

Aside from that, I couldn't believe how futile Derek was, 3 strikeouts with men in scoring position each time. Horrible game.

Edited by MartyJazz