2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Phillies are inventing ways to lose. Bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, 0-2 count Lidge hits the batter to load the bases. Next he balks to let the tying run cross the plate. How the fuck do you get called for a balk with the bases loaded??? And no this wasn't an ump's shitty call. He definitely balked. WTF??? :rmad:

Braves just lost tonight in a traditional way, 7-1. Tommy Hanson was no good. Probably worn out...but our super smart manager wouldn't dream of resting any starters. Instead, they sent Mike Minor...to the minors again, just because they were going to skip his start. Likely back after Sept 1st, so he might not even be on a playoff roster,(unless there is an injury) but who needs a left handed starter in the playoffs?? :rolleyes:

And the guy who is supposed to be the closer next year, Jonny Venters, is being so abused, I fully expect him to break down any day now. In 15 games in July, and was in his 15th game on the 25th of this month, when our HOF manager decided he should go out for a second inning, hey why not, he's clearly rested...gave up 4 runs.

If he was rookie manager, he'd be trashed in the media for abusing his relief staff like he does...I'm starting to think that we won't even make the wildcard now.....

Giants are still in the lead in the Wild Card!

Lincecum looks like crap tonight. :tdown

Again.

Man, what is going on with that guy anyway?

It's called losing several MPH off your fastball, that's all it is. Just like with Javy Vasquez. Ghost said he saw 91-92 for Javy the other day against the Jays, but they homer and a flyball out the next inning they showed on Baseball Tonight were in the 86-88 zone, and unless you have Greg Maddux movement, have a really good sinker, or you are a crafty lefty, you can't compete with that crap.

Edited by BERIGAN

I'm not even a Red Sox fan but damn, that was some big time pitching by Lester in TB. Tease the cruel impossible dream some more for Boston why don't ya? And young Price in defeat - to be that young and pitch "lousy" (10 hits in 7, but no walks, and 2 of the 3 runs were solo shots) - I'd love to have those problems as a fan. Buchholz vs. Garza on Saturday. Artie Johnson "very interesting." What can I say, you can't ignore AL East baseball all season. :lol:

Certainly Buchholz is the guy you want for tonight's game even though Garza, the disgusting expectorator, usually has his way with us. So Buchholz has to pitch another gem and then its Lackey vs "Big Game James" who never comes up aces against Boston. A sweep sure would change the big picture though its still an extreme long shot overtake either team.

What's infuriating is that both have been so much healthier, there's not a doubt in my mind that with a normal distribution of injuries, Boston runs away with the division. When you think what they've done with a crippled lineup, this is a 100+ win roster if healthy.

But ifs and buts were candy and nuts ...

Again.

It's called losing several MPH off your fastball, that's all it is. Just like with Javy Vasquez. Ghost said he saw 91-92 for Javy the other day against the Jays, but they homer and a flyball out the next inning they showed on Baseball Tonight were in the 86-88 zone, and unless you have Greg Maddux movement, have a really good sinker, or you are a crafty lefty, you can't compete with that crap.

I get what you're saying, but Vazquez is a 34 veteran, with a lot of miles on him, while Lincecum is 26, and has only three full seasons in the big leagues. I cannot remember another case where a top level pitcher, in his prime, lost 4-5 miles of his fastball, and there is no physical cause. And it goes beyond just loosing some stuff off his fastball, there really is no movement on any pitches he has, change-up, slider, they're all nothing pitches right now. In the SF paper this week, there was a big article where the Giants are saying Lincecum & Panda are out of shape, and that is the source of their problems. I think there's a lot to be said for that, it seems as if Lincecum is wearing down after three seasons, and at the age of 26, he should be getting stronger not weaker.

Again.

I get what you're saying, but Vazquez is a 34 veteran, with a lot of miles on him, while Lincecum is 26, and has only three full seasons in the big leagues. I cannot remember another case where a top level pitcher, in his prime, lost 4-5 miles of his fastball, and there is no physical cause. And it goes beyond just loosing some stuff off his fastball, there really is no movement on any pitches he has, change-up, slider, they're all nothing pitches right now. In the SF paper this week, there was a big article where the Giants are saying Lincecum & Panda are out of shape, and that is the source of their problems. I think there's a lot to be said for that, it seems as if Lincecum is wearing down after three seasons, and at the age of 26, he should be getting stronger not weaker.

I think we discussed a couple of years ago how Lincecum's delivery was going to get him at some point. He just too small to be throwing that hard. He makes Pedro Martinez look like a big guy. I'm actually shocked that he hasn't broken down before now. Also before Lincecum went 0 for August his last game that he pitched he threw 123 pitches. Maybe he's getting a little "dead arm" and should skip a start??

Can't believe the Phillies won last night in 12 after Bradley Thomas Lidge blew the save.

Don't I know it, J.H.! And you'd think 2004 and 2007 would satisfy a bit but each season is another competition, and it just sucks for both of our teams that injuries have hurt so much (and in your case a questionable trade too). Oh what could have been ...

What's infuriating is that both have been so much healthier, there's not a doubt in my mind that with a normal distribution of injuries, Boston runs away with the division. When you think what they've done with a crippled lineup, this is a 100+ win roster if healthy.

But ifs and buts were candy and nuts ...

I think it'd be easier to deal with if they rolled over (though that'd be a pisser), or (what the hell at this point) had a few more injuries just to seemingly seal the impossibility of it all. But no, they keep on trying to win and do so just enough to stay in it. Logic still says fuhgetaboutit, but it's not easy being logical as a baseball fan, even SABRy types. Even pessimistic realists can allow "if this happens & that..." scenarios to sneak into the mind. If the big money starters start pitching like the 2 "kids", it'll be all the more difficult to keep the heart out of it!

Even pessimistic realists can allow "if this happens & that..."

No doubt. I've managed to talk myself into the possibility of a sweep if they can beat Garza tonight. But what they really need is for Tampa or NY to fall into one of those real slumps, lose six of eight or something and they climb right back into it, maybe even take over the wild card.

Now watch, Garza will shut them down, Clay will come back to Earth and I'll be pissed off again. :crazy:

I'm not even a Red Sox fan but damn, that was some big time pitching by Lester in TB. Tease the cruel impossible dream some more for Boston why don't ya? And young Price in defeat - to be that young and pitch "lousy" (10 hits in 7, but no walks, and 2 of the 3 runs were solo shots) - I'd love to have those problems as a fan. Buchholz vs. Garza on Saturday. Artie Johnson "very interesting." What can I say, you can't ignore AL East baseball all season. :lol:

Yes, please...more AL east discussion here is needed! :P

Anyway, I bet Ghost and the other Yankee fans will agree with me here, if they don't find some starter, any new starter via the waiver wire, they aren't going to make the playoffs. You can't have Javy, and Burnett be useless every start late in the year....and count on Pettitte who can't even pitch off a mound yet....and Phil Hughes pitch every fifth day and go into the playoffs (How many innings would he be above his career high if they go to 7 games W.S?)

I mean, perhaps they can bash their way into the first round, but any team should be able to take them in the first round....

Again.

And you know what's weird about Vazquez??? Last year, he first pitched in the that WBC thing before joining the team late in spring training, and I was guessing he was overdue to have some sort of arm(I was guessing elbow) trouble. Nope, pitched great til the end of the season. It just may be that time has caught up with him...

it may be time for Lincecum to put on some muscle, some weight. I bet there is something wrong with his arm, I mean, what else can it be???

The Phillies are inventing ways to lose. Bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, 0-2 count Lidge hits the batter to load the bases. Next he balks to let the tying run cross the plate. How the fuck do you get called for a balk with the bases loaded??? And no this wasn't an ump's shitty call. He definitely balked. WTF??? :rmad:

Braves just lost tonight in a traditional way, 7-1. Tommy Hanson was no good. Probably worn out...but our super smart manager wouldn't dream of resting any starters. Instead, they sent Mike Minor...to the minors again, just because they were going to skip his start. Likely back after Sept 1st, so he might not even be on a playoff roster,(unless there is an injury) but who needs a left handed starter in the playoffs?? :rolleyes:

And the guy who is supposed to be the closer next year, Jonny Venters, is being so abused, I fully expect him to break down any day now. In 15 games in July, and was in his 15th game on the 25th of this month, when our HOF manager decided he should go out for a second inning, hey why not, he's clearly rested...gave up 4 runs.

If he was rookie manager, he'd be trashed in the media for abusing his relief staff like he does...I'm starting to think that we won't even make the wildcard now.....

Again.

True dat.

I would also submit that players and managers have been breaking down a lot of film to see how to hit him, too.

Anyway, I bet Ghost and the other Yankee fans will agree with me here, if they don't find some starter, any new starter via the waiver wire, they aren't going to make the playoffs. You can't have Javy, and Burnett be useless every start late in the year....and count on Pettitte who can't even pitch off a mound yet....and Phil Hughes pitch every fifth day and go into the playoffs (How many innings would he be above his career high if they go to 7 games W.S?)

I mean, perhaps they can bash their way into the first round, but any team should be able to take them in the first round....

I completely agree. I think I've noted both here and at Pinstripe Alley that irony of ironies, the bullpen--main source of concern for the first half of the season--has finally found its groove, while the rotation has gone south in a big way. Really, every single starter after CC is a big question mark right now in one way or another. Innings limit or no, Phil Hughes has only sporadically shown the kind of dominance he exhibited early in the season. Bad AJ is showing up much more than good AJ these days. Javy is, IMO, probably finished for the season as a starter. Pettitte is a huge question mark, of course, and even if things go well, he won't be able to jump right back in at the top of his game. Moseley is Moseley, hopefully able to go 5 innings and limit the other team to 3 runs, pretty much--and that's on a good night. So we're currently in the position of pinning our hopes on Nova, a rookie! :rolleyes:

Given how tough our schedule is in September, I really do believe NY's chances of making the playoffs have dropped dramatically... something that seemed impossible to imagine not all that long ago. Having Pettitte out of the lineup has been a major blow, what with the AJ/Javy/Hughes starters failing so badly to pick up the slack. I can understand Dan's not wanting to get his hopes up, given everything the Bosox have been through, but like it or not ;) , they're still very much in the hunt, with plenty of opportunities in September to knock games off the lead on their own, and to watch NY and the Rays knock each other around as well.

my cy young predictions

AL

1. cc sabathia (yankees) - 18-5, 3.14 ERA, 194.2 innings pitched, 160 k's, 1.23 whip

2. clay buchholtz (red sox) - 15-5, 2.21 ERA, 146.2 innings pitched, 101 k's, 1.18 whip

3. david price (rays) - 15-6, 3.01 ERA, 164.2 innings pitched, 154 k's, 1.26 whip

4. felix hernandez (mariners) - 10-10, 2.47 ERA, 204.1 innnings pitched, 192 k's, 1.11 whip

5. trevor cahill (A's) - 14-5, 2.43 ERA, 155.2 innings pitched, 88 k's, 1.00 whip, OBAA .201

NL

1. Adam Wainwright (cardinals) - 17-8, 2.18 ERA, 190.1 innings pitched, 171 k's, 1.00 whip

2. Ubaldo Jimenez (rockies) - 17-5, 2.71 ERA, 176.1 innings pitched, 160 k's , 1.13 whip

3. Roy Halladay (phillies) - 16-9, 2.22 ERA, 207 innings pitched, 186 k's, 1.02 whip

4. Josh Johnson (marlins) - 11-5, 2.36 ERA, 171.2 innings pitched, 166 k's, 1.08 whip

5. Tim Hudson (braves) - 15-5, 2.24 ERA, 184.2 innings pitched, 109 k's, 1.09 whip.

what about you

EDIT: i suppose Cliff Lee could MAYBE go there instead of Cahill, but he's really struggled with the rangers. And the first 3 in the NL could get it.

Edited by NaturalSoul

I think it's a little early to speculate. So much can happen in September. That said I would also add that Jimenez threw a no-hitter back in April and Halladay pitched a perfect game in May and leads the NL in CG(8). Halladay has only received 23 runs in support during his 9 losses. If you toss out the one game where the Phightin's scored 6 runs that means he has 17 runs in support during his other 8 losses.

I would also include Cliff Lee. His WHIP leads the AL and his K/BB is 13. 13!!! That's not only historic, it's downright freakish.

my cy young predictions

AL

1. cc sabathia (yankees) - 18-5, 3.14 ERA, 194.2 innings pitched, 160 k's, 1.23 whip

2. clay buchholtz (red sox) - 15-5, 2.21 ERA, 146.2 innings pitched, 101 k's, 1.18 whip

3. david price (rays) - 15-6, 3.01 ERA, 164.2 innings pitched, 154 k's, 1.26 whip

4. felix hernandez (mariners) - 10-10, 2.47 ERA, 204.1 innnings pitched, 192 k's, 1.11 whip

5. trevor cahill (A's) - 14-5, 2.43 ERA, 155.2 innings pitched, 88 k's, 1.00 whip, OBAA .201

NL

1. Adam Wainwright (cardinals) - 17-8, 2.18 ERA, 190.1 innings pitched, 171 k's, 1.00 whip

2. Ubaldo Jimenez (rockies) - 17-5, 2.71 ERA, 176.1 innings pitched, 160 k's , 1.13 whip

3. Roy Halladay (phillies) - 16-9, 2.22 ERA, 207 innings pitched, 186 k's, 1.02 whip

4. Josh Johnson (marlins) - 11-5, 2.36 ERA, 171.2 innings pitched, 166 k's, 1.08 whip

5. Tim Hudson (braves) - 15-5, 2.24 ERA, 184.2 innings pitched, 109 k's, 1.09 whip.

what about you

EDIT: i suppose Cliff Lee could MAYBE go there instead of Cahill, but he's really struggled with the rangers. And the first 3 in the NL could get it.

Not Lincecum...not this year. Ugh.

91-year-old Bob Feller, probably the greatest Cleveland athlete ever and arguably the best right hander ever has acute myeloid leukemia. It is treatable, and Feller has been taking a number of chemotherapy shots. The guy has been remarkably vital even in such old age--attending games, doing interviews (...better watch out, Acta may want him for an inning or two out of the pen). PD story