2010 MLB Season

my cy young predictions

AL

1. cc sabathia (yankees) - 18-5, 3.14 ERA, 194.2 innings pitched, 160 k's, 1.23 whip

2. clay buchholtz (red sox) - 15-5, 2.21 ERA, 146.2 innings pitched, 101 k's, 1.18 whip

3. david price (rays) - 15-6, 3.01 ERA, 164.2 innings pitched, 154 k's, 1.26 whip

4. felix hernandez (mariners) - 10-10, 2.47 ERA, 204.1 innnings pitched, 192 k's, 1.11 whip

5. trevor cahill (A's) - 14-5, 2.43 ERA, 155.2 innings pitched, 88 k's, 1.00 whip, OBAA .201

NL

1. Adam Wainwright (cardinals) - 17-8, 2.18 ERA, 190.1 innings pitched, 171 k's, 1.00 whip

2. Ubaldo Jimenez (rockies) - 17-5, 2.71 ERA, 176.1 innings pitched, 160 k's , 1.13 whip

3. Roy Halladay (phillies) - 16-9, 2.22 ERA, 207 innings pitched, 186 k's, 1.02 whip

4. Josh Johnson (marlins) - 11-5, 2.36 ERA, 171.2 innings pitched, 166 k's, 1.08 whip

5. Tim Hudson (braves) - 15-5, 2.24 ERA, 184.2 innings pitched, 109 k's, 1.09 whip.

what about you

EDIT: i suppose Cliff Lee could MAYBE go there instead of Cahill, but he's really struggled with the rangers. And the first 3 in the NL could get it.

Don't have much of an issue with the AL list, but Ubaldo Jimenez has really come down to earth of late. I think you have to move him down to #5, and move everyone else up one position.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was the "pummel-the-ace" edition of the Yankee offense tonight, as they took Cahill apart for 8 ER in 4 IP. A great long-relief appearance from Javy as well, spelling Moseley, who couldn't quite muster the 5 IP/3 ER performance; I guess between the two of them, they're a not-too-bad 4th or 5th starter. Still tied with Tampa Bay for first, and 31 games left to play. A-Rod's back on Sunday, Pettitte hopefully in two weeks, either for the Tampa Bay or Baltimore series.

DJ watch: Jeter's BA down to .268--49 points below his career average entering the season.

Edited by ghost of miles

Wow. Talk about poetic justice. Two years ago in the playoffs the Phillies and the Dodgers were playing. Kuroda intentionally threw at Shane Victorino and just barely missed beaning him. And who should break up Kuroda's no hit bid in the 8th?? The Flyin' Hawaiian.

Then Victorino cried about it forever. Sheesh, the pitch wasn't that close....

DJ watch: Jeter's BA down to .268--49 points below his career average entering the season.

Assuming Jeter's forgettable season continues, it will put the Yankees in a rather unenviable position when it comes time to negotiate a new contract. Do you 1) simply assume that he had an off year and will bounce back next season, 2) pay him $20 million a year for 3-5 more years in deference to what he was and not what he is or 3) get real, pay him what he's worth given what he currently brings to the table, and risk the fallout that would inevitably ensue? If you're Brian Cashman and the Steinbrenners, you're going to find yourselves in a very awkward, potentially no-win situation.

Edited by Dave James

Wow. Talk about poetic justice. Two years ago in the playoffs the Phillies and the Dodgers were playing. Kuroda intentionally threw at Shane Victorino and just barely missed beaning him. And who should break up Kuroda's no hit bid in the 8th?? The Flyin' Hawaiian.

Oh c'mon. Everybody knows that he only cried about it until the Phillies won the World Series 3 weeks later!

OK.

The Phils can beat the 2nd place Giants but lose to the 4th place Dodgers? :blink:

Dude we swept the NL's best Padres at their home and got swept by the NL's 2nd worst at our home in the same week.

Heralded rookie Aroldis Chapman will be called up by the Cincinnati Reds this week. He's recently been clocked at 105 MPH and has other tools in his kit besides an unhittable heater. He should be fun to watch.

The Red Sox have finally thrown in the towel on Manny Delcarman, trading him to the Rockies for "prospects". Not sure what this signals, although I for one will miss seeing Manny enter a game, any game. He was about as unpredictable as they come.

Anybody want a first-place baseball team? Seems nobody in Tampa-St. Pete does. Under 12,000 for the Jays game last night. Pathetic. Maybe folks will be guilted into breaking 15K tonight?

Yeah, I've only been to a couple of games myself this year, but I live an hour away and work nights. If I lived in Tampa-St. Pete and had a day job, I'd damn sure be going to see a team with the best record in baseball at least a couple of times every home stand. You can get great seats for under $40! Great seats. And you can get in the place for as low as ten bucks. WTF?

I've tried to rationalize the low attendance at the Trop in the past, but I have to wonder if a new stadium would make any difference at all.

Anybody want a first-place baseball team? Seems nobody in Tampa-St. Pete does. Under 12,000 for the Jays game last night. Pathetic. Maybe folks will be guilted into breaking 15K tonight?

Yeah, I've only been to a couple of games myself this year, but I live an hour away and work nights. If I lived in Tampa-St. Pete and had a day job, I'd damn sure be going to see a team with the best record in baseball at least a couple of times every home stand. You can get great seats for under $40! Great seats. And you can get in the place for as low as ten bucks. WTF?

I've tried to rationalize the low attendance at the Trop in the past, but I have to wonder if a new stadium would make any difference at all.

Well, to be fair, it's pretty hot in the Tampa/St. Pete area , oh wait..... :P

Papsrus,

When the Yanks play there it sounds like the Yanks are the home team! A shame the Rays don't draw with a damn good team tied for the best record in baseball- do they need cheerleaders?! :rolleyes:

In bikinis, that might help. With a drawing for some lucky fan to, ah, run the bases with 'em after the game?

I went to one game a few weeks ago and there was some kind of bingo game everyone around me was playing. :blink:

There's always some excuse: It's a football state; there's the beaches; it's a bad economy; a lot of folks are transplants (or transplant recipients). Whatever, they ought to be packing the place this time of year.

Oh c'mon. Everybody knows that he only cried about it until the Phillies won the World Series 3 weeks later!

OK.

The Phils can beat the 2nd place Giants but lose to the 4th place Dodgers? :blink:

Dude we swept the NL's best Padres at their home and got swept by the NL's 2nd worst at our home in the same week.

Exactly.

That isn't a recipe for WS success.

BEAT the damn Dodgers, fer crissakes!

Edited by GoodSpeak

Nice win for the Yanks tonight as they finally break the eight-day-long tie with the Rays for first (longest such tie this late in the season ever, according to Elias Sports Bureau); however, another mediocre start from Phil Hughes. Despite his impressive 16-6 W-L record, he's becoming a real point of vulnerability in the rotation. Second night in a row that we had very shaky starters and very good long relief... will Javy be given a start again? He seems to have regained some of his zip in his last two bullpen outings; I suppose a lot rides on how A.J. and Moseley do in their next respective turns. Hell of a time for NY to still be sussing out their starting staff, though. Evidently the Yanks won a waiver claim on Ted Lilly, but the Dodgers then pulled Lilly back.

On another note regarding thwarted Yankee acquisitions, what is going on with Cliff Lee? Another bad start tonight for Texas; he went into the game 2-5 with a 4.50 ERA in 10 outings for the Rangers, and proceeded to give up 10 hits and 4 ER in 4 2/3 IP. He'll probably regain his form just in time for the playoffs and NY, but man, quite a rough stretch he's had since coming to Arlington.

Nice win for the Yanks tonight as they finally break the eight-day-long tie with the Rays for first (longest such tie this late in the season ever, according to Elias Sports Bureau); however, another mediocre start from Phil Hughes. Despite his impressive 16-6 W-L record, he's becoming a real point of vulnerability in the rotation. Second night in a row that we had very shaky starters and very good long relief... will Javy be given a start again? He seems to have regained some of his zip in his last two bullpen outings; I suppose a lot rides on how A.J. and Moseley do in their next respective turns. Hell of a time for NY to still be sussing out their starting staff, though. Evidently the Yanks won a waiver claim on Ted Lilly, but the Dodgers then pulled Lilly back.

On another note regarding thwarted Yankee acquisitions, what is going on with Cliff Lee? Another bad start tonight for Texas; he went into the game 2-5 with a 4.50 ERA in 10 outings for the Rangers, and proceeded to give up 10 hits and 4 ER in 4 2/3 IP. He'll probably regain his form just in time for the playoffs and NY, but man, quite a rough stretch he's had since coming to Arlington.

I seem to remember him doing something similar last season with the Phillies. I think he won his first 3 or 4 games then lost 4 in a row. He won the last 2 or 3 regular season games and was un-hittable in the post season. Not time to hit the panic button yet.

Heralded rookie Aroldis Chapman will be called up by the Cincinnati Reds this week. He's recently been clocked at 105 MPH and has other tools in his kit besides an unhittable heater. He should be fun to watch.

He only hit 103 in his debut for the Reds, talk about overrated! :crazy: Seriously, I cannot for the life of me see why every team wasn't knocking down his door to sign him...I do recall some talk (last winter?) that he wasn't all that and a bag of chips...well, he is...His slider is just devastating, and his fastball is so easy out of his hand, not violent at all....if his head is screwed on straight, and his arm holds out, he will be one of the greats.....

Here is Chapman's complete inning...check it out quickly, as MLB HATES to have anyone put up clips of games...I once put up a 40 second clip of of baseball highlights from CNN in the 80's and it was pulled within a few weeks of uploading.

The fans are so excited in Cincy! I would say right now he's the best lefty in anyone's bullpen, and if Cliff Lee doesn't get it together soon, he's going to be thought of as the best Lefty in baseball...so there! :party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjNVGw8dCl8

Thanks for posting that clip, Berigan. I seem to recall that the Yankees were interested in him, but were perhaps wary of spending a ton of money again on an import prospect who might ultimately fizzle out. Looks like Chapman might be more Orlando Hernandez (or even better) than Kei Igawa, however. Glad to see him with the Reds, who have a lot of fans around these parts.

The Red Sox and Yankees were interested but wouldn't commit to a major league deal or promise him the immediate opportunity to pitch in the majors, so he went to Cincinnati. It just seems silly to me that he was ever placed in the bullpen. If he is this good he could very well be the next Randy Johnson.

The fans are so excited in Cincy! I would say right now he's the best lefty in anyone's bullpen, and if Cliff Lee doesn't get it together soon, he's going to be thought of as the best Lefty in baseball...so there! :party:

The best lefty in anyone's pen?? He's pitched one inning. ONE.

Edited by J.H. Deeley