2010 MLB Season

Philly Q is right; they wanted to suspend him more but the Union wouldn't allow it so don't blame the Mets here. The Mets won't win this. It will also lessen his trade value because everyone knows they don't want him back. Also the manager and G M will be looking for new jobs I'm sure.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philly Q is right; they wanted to suspend him more but the Union wouldn't allow it so don't blame the Mets here. The Mets won't win this. It will also lessen his trade value because everyone knows they don't want him back. Also the manager and G M will be looking for new jobs I'm sure.

Disagree. If the Mets really wanted to do the right thing they would have tried to void his contract BEFORE they found out about the season ending injury. The fact that they tried to void his contract AFTER finding out about the injury just seems really lame, imho. I mean if he hadn't hurt himself he would still be wearing a Mets' uniform. WTF?

Finally some good press for a Phillies fan.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I've never heard that James but I do know that Boston is substantially further east than Florida, and that's not even taking into account that you are on the gulf side. When I visit my parents in CT in December its darker noticeably earlier than in south Florida.

Yes, you're right of course. Farther east. :blush2: I knew there had to be an obvious reason.

That's one of those geographic anomalies that don't seem right. It's like finding out that Reno, Nevada is further west than Los Angeles.

Or that Windsor, Ontario is directly south of Detroit. (Trivial Pursuit)

Does Clay Buchholz, despite playing for a non-playoff team, belong in the Cy Young discussion? Usually there has to be an incredible performance to get someone like Grienke noticed, so it will probably be tough to get many votes when Price has similarly impressive stats and Sabathia will be up there in wins. But Buchholz is now 14-5 with a league leading 2.36 ERA. There have been seven team shutouts by the Red Sox. Buchholz started 5 of them, including last night's. Really shows how far he's come.

Dan, as you mentioned, Grienke won last year,(and a last place team) he was 16 and 8, with a 2.15 ERA. And sort of a late entry into the discussion, IIRC.

Buchholz is already 14 and 5 and has a 2.35 ERA. I would think he would have a decent chance as long he doesn't have a blown up game or two. I am sure Lester's ERA just went up quite a bit tonight....

Edited by BERIGAN

Disagree. If the Mets really wanted to do the right thing they would have tried to void his contract BEFORE they found out about the season ending injury. The fact that they tried to void his contract AFTER finding out about the injury just seems really lame, imho. I mean if he hadn't hurt himself he would still be wearing a Mets' uniform. WTF?

Disagree? Disagree on what? I was only clarifying what had been said and opining on the Mets chances of voiding, which are not too good. I don't think you can void an agreement based on what he did criminally. However they probably thought it was worth it based on his hurting himself and therefore depriving them of his services. Moreover, since they wanted to suspend him more than they could, this is probably a way of sending that message.

Its been a while since this was adopted but every major league contract includes a clause in which things like criminal acts, being unable to play due to negligence and (I'm not sure on this one) acts of moral turpitude are explicit grounds for voiding a contract, or making it non-guaranteed, which is the crux of what the Mets want to do.

I guess the Union agreed to the language because they always have the option of filing a grievance and have a pretty good track record on grievances. And since the union regards guaranteed contracts as the capstone of their contractual rights (in contrast to football), they will go to the mat to make sure this doesn't stand. And previous efforts by teams (against Sidney Ponson for example) failed miserably.

Totally agree that the Mets screwed the pooch on how they approached the issue. He should have gone on the restricted list right off the bat and for an indefinite period, as the Cubs did with Zambrano. Then they might have found out about the injury and taken action then before his "suspension" had ended.

Giants Baseball:

TORTURE!

Yeah, it sure is. If it wasn't for Burrell (finally! a left fielder, after all those other fools out there), they might be way out. Lincecum needs to get his stuff together, his last three starts have been disasters.

Exactly, Matthew.

Though the Gigantes won last night over the Cards, Lincecum needs to stop tinkering with his form and get back to what got him those two Cy Young Awards.

Disagree? Disagree on what? I was only clarifying what had been said and opining on the Mets chances of voiding, which are not too good. I don't think you can void an agreement based on what he did criminally. However they probably thought it was worth it based on his hurting himself and therefore depriving them of his services. Moreover, since they wanted to suspend him more than they could, this is probably a way of sending that message.

I disagree that the Mets are not blameworthy. Like Dan said every MLB contract has a "morals" clause and if the Mets wanted to send a message they could have, nay, SHOULD HAVE, at the very least put him on a restricted list like the Cubs did with Zambrano. The fact that they are trying to void his contract only after they found out about his season ending injury just makes them look like a bunch of a-holes. YMMV. And just so that you don't think I'm picking on the Mets... back in 2006 then Phillie Brett Myers assaulted his wife before a game in Boston. The Phillies should have cut bait with him then and there, imho, but they did nothing. No suspension, no suggestion to go seek counseling, nada.

I hope CC's up to starting every third day throughout the playoffs. <_<:ph34r: Yes, every third day...can't afford to give the ball too often to A.J., Javy, or Dustin Moseley.

Sarcasm aside, if Pettitte's not back by mid-September, then NY's chances of repeating are finished. Javy's deadarm issues clearly are not going away, A.J. is A.J., and I think Hughes' effectiveness may be questionable as well. It's a very different picture if Andy's back in it, of course, but his setback this week means he won't be pitching an MLB game until mid-September at the earliest, and that's not a lot of time to regain his optimum level of performance before the playoffs.

Pettitte update

EDIT: A-Rod to the DL, Nova called up

Nova will get the start Monday against Toronto. And I guess we'll be seeing a lot more of Nunez (and Pena) with A-Rod now on the DL.

Edited by ghost of miles

I disagree that the Mets are not blameworthy. Like Dan said every MLB contract has a "morals" clause and if the Mets wanted to send a message they could have, nay, SHOULD HAVE, at the very least put him on a restricted list like the Cubs did with Zambrano. The fact that they are trying to void his contract only after they found out about his season ending injury just makes them look like a bunch of a-holes. YMMV. And just so that you don't think I'm picking on the Mets... back in 2006 then Phillie Brett Myers assaulted his wife before a game in Boston. The Phillies should have cut bait with him then and there, imho, but they did nothing. No suspension, no suggestion to go seek counseling, nada.

Most, if not all teams, will take the path of least resistance until they get some heat. After all, when you're dealing with a key player, you want to protect your investment. I'm not sure what they're trying to prove with their actions since there is no chance of winning although they likely will not have to pay him for the remainder of the season. I guess it's all PR.

Lincecum needs to take a hard look at what he's doing, and get his act together, he continues to pitch like he's baked.

Agreed.

Maybe quit pot and stop acting/looking like a Grunge Rocker?

Time to grow up, Lincecum.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Lincecum needs to take a hard look at what he's doing, and get his act together, he continues to pitch like he's baked.

Agreed.

Matt Cain is the ace of the staff right now. I can't say I'm too thrilled with the way Freddie Sanchez approaches the game either... <_<

Agreed.

Matt Cain is the ace of the staff right now. I can't say I'm too thrilled with the way Freddie Sanchez approaches the game either... <_<

I don't think the Giants have an Ace right now.

Seems like pitching by committee at this point.