2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I read that for 17 of a possible 19 games, Phillies opponents would get Doc, Oswalt or Hamels. They ought to be extremely tough.

What is absolutely infuriating is that its become plain as day that with a more typical level of injuries, the Red Sox would have waltzed to the AL East crown. Or lets just imagine that Youkilis doesn't bang up his thumb and that Pedroia comes back on time and plays the rest of the season. With the Yankees and Rays playing .500 ball for 40+ games, the Sox couldn't have made up the gap with both of those guys in the lineup?

Their bullpen was an issue all season and I have recurring nightmares that Beckett & Lackey will pitch just like they did this season for the rest of their deals, but a healthy roster would have crushed the competition this season.

Factoid - The Phillies are only the third team in National League history to appear in the postseason in four consecutive seasons. The Atlanta Braves made 14 straight appearances from 1991-2005 (there were no playoffs in 1994), and the New York Giants made four straight from 1921-24.

Ah yes, the Big Red Machine had to contend with the Dodgers, and the Pirates & the Phils knocked each other around in the '70s. Just to illustrate how good some of these teams were from that time, consider the following.

From '72-'76 the Reds played better than .600 ball, so it's safe to say with wild cards they would have made it 4 straight years. Though it's difficult to make up a 3 division system for the time between the expansion waves of the early '70s until the early '90s that makes absolute sense (not that sensible geography is necessary in sports), it's possible that the Reds might have made the playoffs every year from '72-'81. Note they did not make the playoffs in the split season strike year of '81 despite having the best record.

The Dodgers from '70 thru '78 probably would have made the playoffs throughout that run, which gives you an idea how much the Reds & Dodgers beat up on each other back then.

Finally the Pirates from '74-'77 would have won in a wild card world. As would the Phils from '75-'78. Penn. state ruled baseball in those years (and before & after, as the above is just the "streak.")

Of course such a playoff environment would have changed everything (meaning roster & trades, how the games were played with playoff spots on the line), and I'm not trying to detract from the Phils accomplishment one bit, just pointing out how adding playoff spots might have looked in the '70s. I'll leave it to the AL East crowd to figure out the AL "what if". ;)

Edited by Quincy

Yankee and non-Yankee fans alike might enjoy this--a Twitter account satirizing Yankees YES announcer Michael Kay. Some samples:

# Hey fans! Now, to give fans a treat, I'm heading down to the field to dive shirtless on the tarp! OH WHAT A FEAST FOR THE EYES! about 18 hours ago via web

# Hey fans! How about another milestone?! Will A-Rod steal his 600th base tonight?! History! Yelling! Factual errors galore! Next! about 19 hours ago via web

# Hey fans! OH WHAT A MILESTONE HOME RUN FOR POSADA! HIS 1,000TH! about 19 hours ago via web

# Hey fans! OH! OH! OH WHAT A BUNT BY GRANDERSON! He's out. 7:09 PM Jul 22nd via web

Hey fans! :lol:

Fake Michael Kay has been shut down. <_<

Factoid - The Phillies are only the third team in National League history to appear in the postseason in four consecutive seasons. The Atlanta Braves made 14 straight appearances from 1991-2005 (there were no playoffs in 1994), and the New York Giants made four straight from 1921-24.

Ah yes, the Big Red Machine had to contend with the Dodgers, and the Pirates & the Phils knocked each other around in the '70s. Just to illustrate how good some of these teams were from that time, consider the following.

From '72-'76 the Reds played better than .600 ball, so it's safe to say with wild cards they would have made it 4 straight years. Though it's difficult to make up a 3 division system for the time between the expansion waves of the early '70s until the early '90s that makes absolute sense (not that sensible geography is necessary in sports), it's possible that the Reds might have made the playoffs every year from '72-'81. Note they did not make the playoffs in the split season strike year of '81 despite having the best record.

The Dodgers from '70 thru '78 probably would have made the playoffs throughout that run, which gives you an idea how much the Reds & Dodgers beat up on each other back then.

Finally the Pirates from '74-'77 would have won in a wild card world. As would the Phils from '75-'78. Penn. state ruled baseball in those years (and before & after, as the above is just the "streak.")

Of course such a playoff environment would have changed everything (meaning roster & trades, how the games were played with playoff spots on the line), and I'm not trying to detract from the Phils accomplishment one bit, just pointing out how adding playoff spots might have looked in the '70s. I'll leave it to the AL East crowd to figure out the AL "what if". ;)

It's hard to compare periods with the differing amount of teams that can make the post season. That being said they have been in two straight WS and I will be shocked if not a third. Doing that would be impressive.

Yankee and non-Yankee fans alike might enjoy this--a Twitter account satirizing Yankees YES announcer Michael Kay. Some samples:

# Hey fans! Now, to give fans a treat, I'm heading down to the field to dive shirtless on the tarp! OH WHAT A FEAST FOR THE EYES! about 18 hours ago via web

# Hey fans! How about another milestone?! Will A-Rod steal his 600th base tonight?! History! Yelling! Factual errors galore! Next! about 19 hours ago via web

# Hey fans! OH WHAT A MILESTONE HOME RUN FOR POSADA! HIS 1,000TH! about 19 hours ago via web

# Hey fans! OH! OH! OH WHAT A BUNT BY GRANDERSON! He's out. 7:09 PM Jul 22nd via web

Hey fans! :lol:

Fake Michael Kay has been shut down. <_<

The real one is pretty bad.

Is it safe to mention K-e-n B-u-r-n-s in this thread? Just a reminder that the top half of his 10th inning broadcast is tonight. Carrot Top's top isn't as carrot colored anymore, assuming she makes an appearance.

I only caught a few segments because of other commitments but enjoyed what I saw, as I did much of the earlier "Baseball" series. One jazz note: As background music to a chapter on the influx of Hispanic players, especially those from the Dominican Republic, somebody selected a larger ensemble version of Kenny Dorham's "Una Mas." I assume it was the contemporary recording by Roy Hargrove.

Does any Yankee fan here seriously think that this team is going all the way this year? I don't see how. Aside from CC, starting pitching is practically at the nightmare stage. Pettite is not quite back, Hughes is a 5-6 inning starter at best and by no means a lock to even do that, AJ stands for "absolute joke", Vasquez should only be used in mop-up duty along with that other wonderful reliable, Chad Gaudin, and Ivan Nova is aptly named, i.e., "no go" after the first go-around with an opposing line-up.

I know it's easy to simply pick teams with the best records, but I really think that the Rays and the Phils are the class of their respective leagues so I expect a repeat pairing of the 2008 Series.

I'm wondering if the Twins might be the AL team to make it to the World Series. They've done so much without Monreau (who is making one last attempt to come back from his concussion) and they seem to have a lot of depth which is a good thing to have. Fairly balanced pitching though not outstanding, but there have been past champions who fit that profile. Team WHIP, OBP and SLG are all highly competitive. They haven't faired well vs. the eastern teams though.

Does any Yankee fan here seriously think that this team is going all the way this year? I don't see how. Aside from CC, starting pitching is practically at the nightmare stage. Pettite is not quite back, Hughes is a 5-6 inning starter at best and by no means a lock to even do that, AJ stands for "absolute joke", Vasquez should only be used in mop-up duty along with that other wonderful reliable, Chad Gaudin, and Ivan Nova is aptly named, i.e., "no go" after the first go-around with an opposing line-up.

I know it's easy to simply pick teams with the best records, but I really think that the Rays and the Phils are the class of their respective leagues so I expect a repeat pairing of the 2008 Series.

I really think the Giants, with their pitching and improved offense, have a great chance of going all the way. Brian Wilson needs to be a little bit more steady, or maybe pitch less five out saves, Bochy might be over pitching Wilson. Still, I've like the Giants from the start, and I don't see any reason to change at this point. Giants in the World Series.

As a Phillies fan the only team that scares me - from either league - is the Giants. I'm not liking the very distinct possibility that we will have to face them in a 5 game series. I think the Braves are catching a HUGE break if they win the WC spot. I'm pulling for the Padres to win either the West or the WC.

Ed Valentine at Pinstripe Alley agrees with you and I'm inclined to do so as well. Even if they somehow get past the Twins and the winner of the Rays-Rangers series, I can't see them beating the Phillies again (not to write off the rest of the NL--I just think it's highly likely that the Phillies make it back).

I read last night that they scotched Hernandez' last start; I still think he'll be a strong candidate for the Cy Young, even without the opportunity to pick up one more win.

In other Sunday-start news, Joe Girardi said the Yankees' starter will be "Mr. TBA." ^_^:ph34r:

Edited by ghost of miles