2010 MLB Season

Went to the Giants victory parade and ceremony yesterday here in SF. It was a crush of humanity. The local news sources estimated 1.5 million people participated. :party:

I'm jealous :g

The Richmond Flying Squirrels (AA-Giants) gift shop has the SF World Series Champions hats and sweatshirts- the hats are really nice!

On Sat I spoke to Ross Grimsley- pitching coach for the Squirrels and we were discussing the pitching for the Giants and he was like a proud papa talking about Baumgartner, Cain and Lincecum...he worked with them in the minors- and glad to see them do well in the playoffs.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah!

Have either of these ever happened, much less both?

It's not a battery if they're on opposing teams. But the last time a pitcher & catcher won ROYs might have been in '72 when Matlack of the Mets and Fisk of the Red Sox won. There may be others.

As far as both ROYs making it to the World Series, I started at the bottom of the list and found a pair fairly quickly. 1951. Willie Mays & Gil McDougald. Also '81 - Fernando & Rags (current Giants pitching coach). There might be more.

Edited by Quincy

Yeah!

Have either of these ever happened, much less both?

It's not a battery if they're on opposing teams.

It's also not a battery unless there's an actual game being played, I mean Koufax & Roseboro weren't a batttery when they were in the shower or when they were crossing the street, so c'mon, a little Hot Stove lattitude here, please!

Ok, Rookie Of The Year "batteries":

1968 Stan Bahnsen - New York Johnny Bench - Cincinnati

1970 Thurman Munson - New York Carl Morton - Montreal

1972 Carlton Fisk - Boston Jon Matlack - New York

That's it.

Edited by JSngry

Not suprising....he had an absolute stellar year on the mound.

He deserves it.

He had a GOOD year, but still nowhere near the 1.53 ERA Doc posted in 1985. Now, that was some serious quality pitching! And he was only 21. All this talk about Halladay, Lincecum, CC, Santana makes me laugh. None of them even compares to Seaver, Gibson, Carlton, et. al.

He deserves it.

He had a GOOD year, but still nowhere near the 1.53 ERA Doc posted in 1985. Now, that was some serious quality pitching! And he was only 21. All this talk about Halladay, Lincecum, CC, Santana makes me laugh. None of them even compares to Seaver, Gibson, Carlton, et. al.

Good point.

However, I would argue the batters are that much better than they were back in the day. A pitcher has to be much more of a craftsman with his pitches these days. The days of just having one or two pitches [fastball/curve] have been replaced by pitches [sinkers, sliders, spilters, slurves, off speed stuff, etc] that rely on much more movement and placement.

No doubt guys like Seaver, Gibson, Carlton, Drysdale, Koufax, Juan Marichal, etc would have been an anchor for any of today's pitching staffs, but they would have a hard time with guys who are a tough out. A straight-up hard thrower gets lit up a lot more often now.

Just my two cents...

Edited by GoodSpeak

He deserves it.

Good point.

However, I would argue the batters are that much better than they were back in the day. A pitcher has to be much more of a craftsman with his pitches these days. The days of just having one or two pitches [fastball/curve] have been replaced by pitches [sinkers, sliders, spilters, slurves, off speed stuff, etc] that rely on much more movement and placement.

No doubt guys like Seaver, Gibson, Carlton, Drysdale, Koufax, Juan Marichal, etc would have been an anchor for any of today's pitching staffs, but they would have a hard time with guys who are a tough out. A straight-up hard thrower gets lit up a lot more often now.

Just my two cents...

Oh, really?

If more pitchers pitched like Bob Gibson, that might not be the case...

Gibson never faced Reggie Jackson.

Personally, I think Reggie would have gone yard on him....easily.

He deserves it.

Good point.

Just my two cents...

Oh, really?

Really.

He deserves it.

Good point.

Just my two cents...

Oh, really?

Really.

I know I will regret this...anywho....Gibson had a great slider, probably wouldn't have thrown Reggie any fastballs unless it was up in the zone, with 2 strikes. In 1968 he threw 304 innings, and completed 28 games. If he was playing today, he'd have a 20 Mil a year contract, and teams wouldn't risk him blowing out his arm, and there would be 4 other starters in the rotation. So, he wouldn't have to pace himself quite the same way. And he'd be in better shape in this era, as would be Koufax, etc, etc, etc....

Sandy would throw Reggie 3 curveballs better than he ever saw in his life, wouldn't take the bat off his shoulder, and would walk back to the dugout shaking his head.

Another of lifes mysteries solved by me! ;)

He deserves it.

Good point.

Just my two cents...

Oh, really?

Really.

I know I will regret this...anywho....Gibson had a great slider, probably wouldn't have thrown Reggie any fastballs unless it was up in the zone, with 2 strikes. In 1968 he threw 304 innings, and completed 28 games. If he was playing today, he'd have a 20 Mil a year contract, and teams wouldn't risk him blowing out his arm, and there would be 4 other starters in the rotation. So, he wouldn't have to pace himself quite the same way. And he'd be in better shape in this era, as would be Koufax, etc, etc, etc....

Sandy would throw Reggie 3 curveballs better than he ever saw in his life, wouldn't take the bat off his shoulder, and would walk back to the dugout shaking his head.

Another of lifes mysteries solved by me! ;)

Nah.

Koufax would beat Jackson that way once. The next time he'd rip it into the bleachers.

Gibson would feed Jackson nothing but hard stuff on the outside trying to get him to chase one. Maybe even a little "chin music" to get him off the plate. If he goes inside or hangs one on him, Jackson would knock the ball clear into the next week.

Then the next AB, Gibson would plunk him.

That is the true Gibson.

Edited by GoodSpeak

This is where you break out the Stat-o-matic board game!

Strat-o-matic!!!!

A proud player and owner from 1966-1969, even bought the "Hall of Fame" set somewhere in there...1927 Ruth vs 1966 Koufax, a kid's dream come true (and Koufax usually won).

It was like fantasy baseball only much more baseball than fantasy.

Nah.

Koufax would beat Jackson that way once. The next time he'd rip it into the bleachers.

Gibson would feed Jackson nothing but hard stuff on the outside trying to get him to chase one. Maybe even a little "chin music" to get him off the plate. If he goes inside or hangs one on him, Jackson would knock the ball clear into the next week.

That is the true Gibson.

Considering that Koufax & Gibson faced Aaron and Mays I don't see why you're making a such a big deal about Jackson. I loved watching Reggie, but as the all-time strikeout leader it's not like he was in the class of Aaron or Mays.

Nah.

That is the true Gibson.

Considering that Koufax & Gibson faced Aaron and Mays I don't see why you're making a such a big deal about Jackson. I loved watching Reggie, but as the all-time strikeout leader it's not like he was in the class of Aaron or Mays.

Um.

I'm not the one making a "big deal" about Reggie Jackson.

I might suggest going back and reading the previous exchange.

But that's just me.