Miles, Red, Paul, Philly Joe...and Hank?

BeBop

Listening to one of the Europa Jazz LPs discussed on another thread. There's a version of Milestones with Miles and a band identified as Hank Mobley, Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones. But I didn't see this listed in the Mobley discography <<http://www.jazzdisco.org/mobley/>> It's definitely Miles; I'm not sure it's Hank, though. Not his usual languid phrasing, though the tempo's pretty 'up'. Assume this is just a Europa Jazz mistake; I'd guess it's Trane or someone else.

I'm sure there's an easy answer. But I'm feeling lazy today.

Listening to one of the Europa Jazz LPs discussed on another thread. There's a version of Milestones with Miles and a band identified as Hank Mobley, Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones. But I didn't see this listed in the Mobley discography <<http://www.jazzdisco.org/mobley/>> It's definitely Miles; I'm not sure it's Hank, though. Not his usual languid phrasing, though the tempo's pretty 'up'. Assume this is just a Europa Jazz mistake; I'd guess it's Trane or someone else.

I don't think there's any record of Miles playing Milestones before 1963. Perhaps this is the version with George Coleman, Herbie, Ron and Tony from that year?

Guy

Listening to one of the Europa Jazz LPs discussed on another thread.  There's a version of Milestones with Miles and a band identified as Hank Mobley, Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones.  But I didn't see this listed in the Mobley discography <<http://www.jazzdisco.org/mobley/>>  It's definitely Miles; I'm not sure it's Hank, though.  Not his usual languid phrasing, though the tempo's pretty 'up'.  Assume this is just a Europa Jazz mistake; I'd guess it's Trane or someone else.

I don't think there's any record of Miles playing Milestones before 1963. Perhaps this is the version with George Coleman, Herbie, Ron and Tony from that year?

Guy

My guess is that Guy is right. This also came out on Bandstand so it seems like a likely candidate. To help check, this version is listed as being 9 mins 12 seconds long.

Clearly, I should be less of a lazy SOB and just go back and listen to the tenor player a little more. I should be able to ID - there aren't a whole lot to choose from (though it is a live date under unspecified conditions and an unlikely date, so who knows). Unfortunately, the LP is now 6,000 miles away.

I could be way off but Ii looked at the PLosin milesahead site & did a session search & found this 1 at 9min 21

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/sessions.asp?s=630727

I did a search for with Hank Mobley playing Milestones & got this reply

Miles Ahead: Query Results

Sorry, the Miles Ahead database contains no instances of Hank Mobley performing 'Milestones'.

Edited by Gary

Well, when I get that LP back in-hand, I'll have to give another listen. If I can't tell Red Garland from Herbie Hancock, I will shoot myself. (...in a non-violent fashion; I can't stand violence.) Frankly, I didn't listen to the pianist closely before.

My guess is that it's from July 27, 1963. I've got that on a cd which claims to be Miles and Trane live in NY. (running time is (9:23) BTW Did Mobley ever perform with Garland? Didn't he join Miles when Wynton Kelly was the pianist?

Edited by medjuck