AOTW December 8-14. Tina Brooks Minor Move

JohnS

I discovered Tina Brooks via Jackie McLean's Jackie's Bag, and set about quickly to get everything he did - as leader or sideman. The recording I don't have is the only recording he released as a leader: True Blue; although I've heard it, having made a tape copy off a friend's scratched-to-bits LP. True Blue is coming out soon as an RVG, which I'm happy about, and which I'll get.

Back to Minor Move: I agree with Leeway in terms of its "staying power". No, it doesn't luxuriate in an obvious soulfulness, like some of his material. When I bought it, and listened to it, it initially sounded kind of flat and workmanlike. Circumstantially, it probably was a fairly superficial journeyman effort in terms of the quick-money rushjob sessions that sometimes predominated at BlueNote, for whatever reason.

Nevertheless, after repeated listening it has become my favourite from all his output. There's a sustained emotional focus and maturity that some of his other performances lack. And, while it's the yearning poignancy and troubled romantic search in his playing that has always attracted me, his tone and approach doesn't have the overweening self-absorption that sometimes undermine his attempts at lyrical coherence.

Tina is fundamentally out of the Lester Young school in his linear melodicism and introverted contemplation. Unlike Lester Young, there is a stronger emphasis on an earthy, exultant bluesiness. Although, on this recording like others, when Brooks gets too declamatory he quickly retreats, as if frightened by his own capacity for self-assertion.

Aside from this recording, one of my other favourite Tina Brooks' recordings is a sideman date: it's his stint playing The Connection, with Howard McGhee as leader. It's hard to track down, it's too damn short, but Tina plays with a pithy intensity that is all too rare on most of his dates.

:D I remember buying this lp an original, Leeway that is in Tooting junk shop for a £1, can you believe it. I later swapped it for a lovely green cashmere jumper, what a mistake. It recently went on eBay for £3oo plus/ but have cd that was £24 but worth it, japanese import, always expensive. great cover wouldent mind another copt, paul

"True Blue" was the only album Brooks made as a leader that was released in his lifetime.

Yes thought so. Heard in the Waiting Game liner notes that the reason they didn't release any others is because album sales were so low.

That's largely true, but the fact is that Back to the Tracks was sequenced and mastered and pictured on the backs of other BN releases, but somehow slipped through and was never actually released at the time.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to revive this thread. Was listening to "Minor Move" tonight and reminding myself that although I don't consider it Tina's "Best" album, it's the one I listen to and enjoy the most. Go figure! Anyway, this thing grows on you. It's just great players playing great songs. The lack of originals probably killed it for Alfred releasing it, maybe. Dunno.

Anyway, put it on and enjoy it. Like Muddy Waters said, "Don't try and be the best one. Just try and be a good one." I think this is a good one for sure.

Just wanted to revive this thread. Was listening to "Minor Move" tonight and reminding myself that although I don't consider it Tina's "Best" album, it's the one I listen to and enjoy the most. Go figure! Anyway, this thing grows on you. It's just great players playing great songs. The lack of originals probably killed it for Alfred releasing it, maybe. Dunno.

Anyway, put it on and enjoy it. Like Muddy Waters said, "Don't try and be the best one. Just try and be a good one." I think this is a good one for sure.

I think it was the loose, kinda ragged ensemble blowing that kept this one on the shelf.

Morgan's and Brooks' soling is superb throughout. Lee's solo on "The Way You Look Tonight" boils down everything Lee Morgan could say at age 21--pretty freaking impressive!!

Edited by Allan Songer