Secret Santa for Christmas?

marcoliv

i was thinking about in a way to celebrate Christmas and all the positive mood emulated by this particular period.

as we can´t be together at the same place & time it crossed my mind to do a Secret Santa between ourselves.

we can combine the spirit of Christmas, the spirit of this fantastic board with the THING that we love most: jazz & discs (cd's/lp's)

exploring this idea i would say that a signup would be required.

a member can handle the draw and keep it secret as to be revealed on our following postings and make the results available to each individual through email.

it can be a cdr with stuff that we like (not obscurities or rarities dedicated to BFTs) or even a duplicate copy of something great that we have on our collections. like this we won't exclude members who cannot burn a CD.

as we get our CD on the mailbox we can post our impressions and i think we will have the feeling that we are sharing Christmas blessings all together

just a thought and of course it can be improved :)

Marcus Oliveira

ps: i think there is enough time to do that before Christmas

I actually thought of this, too, Marcus, but in my imagination it would end up like the Secret Santa in my office ... I always get a Gift Card from Borders so I can pick something I want!

I can just see 30 or 40 gift cards flying around the world! Might as well just go to a store yourself, pick something out, pay for it, and say, "Thank you, Organissimo Secret Santa!" ;)

Actually, another way to do it might be an Amazon gift certificate. I do suspect that people like Chuck would object to burns of in print material, so maybe the gift certificate/gift card option is best. It does eliminate the opportunity to actually pick something for someone, but when you consider the size of some people's collections, it also eliminates the risk that you'll send something that's a duplicate.

In terms of assigning Secret Santas, I'd suggest that B3er do it. He could take a signup thread and just pair people up and let those people know.

Dan,

i haven´t thought about an electronic gift certificate but it can be an option too.

i understand all concerns about copyrighted stuff but i think a CDR compilation from our collections wouldn´t hurt anyone, just my 2 cents..

if Jim can handle the signup i´m fine with it and obviously count me in too :)

we need to fix a dead-line and make things move

i´m glad some people reacted positively

Marcus Oliveira

Count me in-- whoever matches names might want to set up some of the obvious veterans with others of like mind-- I can just imagine me, who a year ago was vexing Chuck Nessa with questions like "what is that irritating clicking sound in the bass of Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard-- is that supposed to be there?" trying to figure out something to burn/copy/buy/etc for him :)

I suppose we would need a MASTER list of all that want to be a part of this Holiday Extravaganza. Once the top secret list is compiled, names must be drawn to determine who has who. I think this is where you would come in (drawing the names). It would then be up to the individual to determine the gift and make the delivery. We would also need addresses of the individuals participating in this most joyous occasion.

Mark

Count me in.

The gift certificate thing makes sense, since we don't know what the various posters already have. I know that it's not as personal as an actual CD, but it still makes sense, unless you know the person, happen to get their name in the draw, and know what they have and like.

• 3 weeks later...